The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stray injured pit mix looking for home -- very sweet!

My friend found this adorable guy in an alley behind her office on Monday in downtown Baltimore. He has a number of injuries... not sure what happened to him, maybe hit by a car? (Or tossed out of a car.) He may also have been used as "bait" in a fight. But he is a complete lovebug with people... he spent his first 24 hours at my friend's office, and was great with everyone there. Then I kept him for a night, and all he wanted to do was sit on the couch with me.

A trainer is going to evaluate him tomorrow to see how his temperament is. So far, he has been curious about dogs and cats, but has not shown any aggression. But my friend is being abundantly careful, not knowing his history and what has happened to him.

He has been to the vet for treatment for his injuries -- he has a big swath of an abrasion on one side, maybe road rash or a burn? He has another big abrasion under one elbow, and a cut under his tail that needed stitching. He is also not bearing weight on one hind leg -- xrays showed no broken bones, so he is on anti-inflammatories to see if those help. He has gotten his first round of vaccinations, dewormer, etc. He is not neutered yet, but my friend is happy to take care of that. The vet estimated he was about 2 years old, and he currently weighs 43 lbs., although he is very skinny and underweight.

He is learning how to walk on a leash and how to go up and down stairs. We don't know if he is housebroken, but he didn't have any accidents when he was at my house overnight. He is not crate trained, so will need some work on that.

But he is a really, really sweet and friendly dog. All of the rescues we've contacted are full, so my friend talked her husband into letting the dog stay with them for 3 weeks. Not much time to find him a home, but we're hoping a rescue spot might open up in the meantime.

If you have any interest, you can contact my friend Jennifer: 410-303-7954, jbevandangel@yahoo.com. He is currently being fostered in Crofton, MD. (About midway between Annapolis and Baltimore.)

(Oops, I see Jen already posted a thread about this guy herself! Go here.)

And yes, his ears always look like this... it's totally adorable!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3185/...253125cfa1.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/...538722d959.jpg
    Last edited by Erin; Oct. 23, 2008 at 09:18 PM.

I'm up in Maine, but have put out a few emails about this dog. I know that ME is a long way, but I know a few people who have excellent loving homes. (including myself, but not sure if husband is interested in a brother for the yellow beast!)