The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default round bale holder alternatives?

I'm throwing this out here in hopes that someone might have some suggestions.

I'm on a very small acreage-4 acres, and have 3 horses. For the past 2 years, we've been feeding square bales, but because of the price of them, and the fact that my horses are eating everything in sight, I'd like to get into round bales if possible.

However, we only have a small tractor. We have a neighbor who is able to pick up the roundbales for us and bring them to our acreage, and he generally uses his tractor to push them into his own field.

But I obviously want some sort of holder for the hay, since I've seen the waste that happens if it doesn't have one.
    are there are any round bale holders that would work for horses that wouldn't require the round bale to be lifted and dropped into the middle of it?
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Use the tombstone feeders (the rings made for horses) You set the bale down and flop the ring over it. I can do it alone.

Forgot to add: I also use plastic on the ground beneath the bale to try to eliminate some of the water seeping up into the bale. They rot quickly in the summer if you aren't careful

Default Bale Buddy round bale keeper

http://www.bigbalebuddy.com/page/page/2674952.htm

try this..have heard good things about them.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

What we did was put pallets down, then put the roundbale on...then you put the holder over it. You get it up on its side and just flip it over the round bale.

That said, you might have less waste if you can keep the roundbale OUT of the pasture and just feed flakes off of it.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

http://www.oneillbalefeeders.com/groundfeeder.htm

We have two of these, and absolutely love them. So easy, because I can manage them by myself and they come apart easily for summer storage.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

www.duplessishorsefeeder.com

These are excellent, and just flip over top of the round bale. The saved hay pays for the cost! I have two of them for my pasture and would recommend them over and over.

I saw a photo one time where along the fence line they built a small "deck" that protruded into the pasture (just the size that a round bale of hay would fit on) and the fence diverted along the three sides of the deck in the pasture leaving the area that was open to the barnyard (kind of like a small "stage" that you could walk out and be in the pasture but then the fence is in front of you and on both sides). They could then just roll the round bale onto this deck (there was no gate, this deck was open to the barn area so easy to do) and the horses then could eat the hay from three sides. I thought it was a great idea! The hay was off the ground, the horses had access to the hay without making a mess of it and they didn't have to haul the hay through gates into the pasture with clamoring horses trying to get it while you unload, cut the strings, move and lift the hay ring.

I hope I described it well.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    http://www.bigbalebuddy.com/page/page/2674952.htm

try this..have heard good things about them.
    I have two of these babies!!! LOVE them and will buy more if mine ever wear out. Had them one year now, use 'em year round.

[QUOTE=mht;3591860]www.duplessishorsefeeder.com

sorry this one isn't mine, quoted wrong post
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by jazzrider View Post
    http://www.oneillbalefeeders.com/groundfeeder.htm

We have two of these, and absolutely love them. So easy, because I can manage them by myself and they come apart easily for summer storage.
    this is the one I Have, it's awesome! I can easily handle it by myself and the hay gets eaten instead of getting pooped and peed on by the horses and dogs.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

oh, thanks guys! that gives me quite a bit to play around with and see what i can make work
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.