The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question hoof gurus - ? re lack of concavity in one hoof?

i noticed this a.m. that my mare's LH lacks concavity, especially when compared to the other 3 hooves (she's barefoot).
    what could be the cause of this? i'm certain this is something that has developed recently (maybe in the last couple of months?), b/c in the past all her feet looked pretty much the same w/ re to concavity.

not sure if this could be a factor but in may she was diagnosed w/ torn suspensory in that leg. also, she had 2 ugly bouts of laminitis one in july and one in august but no rotation (in the fronts anyway, that's what was x rayed) resulted from the laminitis.

so any ideas?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

There are several reasons why sole may lack concavity:

• over trimming of the sole or bars taking away sole strength
    • a diet high in starches and sugars for a sugar sensitive horse
    • retained sole

Could any one of those be a factor?

Default certainly not the first factor.

as far as the diet high in starch, no her diet is not high in starch but she does have metabolic problems and in september was put on pergolide b/c she now has cushings, too. that was the cause of the two bouts of laminitis. so if by referring to diet you meant to suggest that this was a result of laminitis, that's possible. but again, front feet show no rotation and her angles are good.

so why only 1 hoof? and why the LH?

not sure what is a "retained sole"?

Flaring can cause the hoof to 'flatten' or lose concavity.

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    as far as the diet high in starch, no her diet is not high in starch but she does have metabolic problems and in september was put on pergolide b/c she now has cushings, too. that was the cause of the two bouts of laminitis.
    but why only 1 hoof? and why the LH?

not sure what is a "retained sole"?
    I know, I am wondering the same. Perhaps it is the weaker hoof? It is hard to tell without seeing it in person. Could you post some photos?

Default photos would have to wait until the weekend.

no flares on these feet.
    her hind feet were always better looking. 5 years into barefoot and she still has some contracted heels and underdeveloped frogs in the front feet but her hind feet opened up beautifully over the years. that's why i was so shocked when i noticed that flat sole today!

but you know, when you said, it may be the weaker hoof, could the injury to the suspensory mechanism make the hoof "weaker"?

Not sure, but could be a contributing factor. Usually something like this affects wear more than sole concavity.......

Marta:

I'll call you in a few minutes.

Come on BTR there are more than just those 3 reasons for a flat foot. Especially when it is only on ONE and that one being an injured hind leg. Kip does not have a flared foot, retained sole or overtrimmed bar/sole issues.

Kipper has always had a "funky" hind foot. I would think Marta, it is related to her injury.

Could be her DC has been damaged in some way due to the suspensory injury. I wouldn't worry about it too much, would use it as information only. She's not lame is she?

Regards,

Default she has a stilted gait on that foot but that's been like that

throughout the recovery process. it's only slightly stilted and really only visible on turns on pavement.

she does place that foot funny. i think she always has. it's not a result of the suspensory injury (but it might be a result of prior injuries) it kind of flops down flat, doesn't have that curvature to the movement as it lands. sorry, it's hard to describe without actually seeing it happen.

but again, that foot never lacked concavity. in fact, until recently it had concavity...

i emailed the vet asking her if she thought it might be related to the suspensory tear. not sure if she's in today, so it may be a while before i hear from her.

Come on BTR there are more than just those 3 reasons for a flat foot. Especially when it is only on ONE and that one being an injured hind leg. Kip does not have a flared foot, retained sole or overtrimmed bar/sole issues.
    Care to list the others? Love to know because there's always more to be learned. I listed the most common reasons.

Care to list the others? Love to know because there's always more to be learned. I listed the most common reasons.
    Well genetics, disease, sickness, injury, bad saddle fit, poor dentistry, crooked rider, etc.

And probably many that I don't know of or haven't heard of yet.

Yes a good NON INVASIVE Trim is critical to hoof health but after that we have to look elsewhere.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    Maybe those are the most common for YOU....

But, BTR, along with what Kim mentioned

1. An improper hoof angle

2. Lack of vertical toe height

2. A stretched sole.

3. Lack of proper mechanism.

4. Pain can also result in a hard, flat, sole (pedal osteitis, laminitis....sometimes caudal foot pain, a sinker, etc.

5. Poor laminar connection - which believe it or not is not always attributed to the diet.

6. Thin walls

7. If the coffin bone has no concavity, the foot won't either.

Those are just the ones right off the top of my head because those are actually the most common ones that I see.

Marta - Like Kim said, I bet it is a natural protective response from her injury and the laminitic episodes. I wouldn't worry unless there was a lameness present .
    Whole Horse Hoof Care
    Mt. Airy, Maryland
    Barefoot When Possible, Shoes When Necessary
    kNOw hoof, kNOw Horse.