The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

AinVa Guest

Default Wanted free lease horse for 3-7 months (we are in VA)

I am looking to free lease a horse (or maybe two) until at the latest June 2009 depending on how long you want the horse to stay with us. We have a 5 acre property, a newly built run-in shed and lots of love and attention to give. Doesn’t matter what kind of horse it is as long as it is beginner safe and calm. We just want to ride a bit on the property and maybe go on trail rides once a week. Mostly want to get a feel for what it is like to care for a horse full time and have the opportunity to do so here at our home. I used to ride when I was younger and have recently gotten back in the saddle again. My husbands 14 year old daughter is more experienced than me. My 16 year old daughter doesn’t want to ride at the moment, just pet and care for a horse. So, lots of love and attention. We live in Virginia, near Williamsburg.

I know you said you wanted something beginnner safe but thought I'd throw out my gelding to you. He's a 6 yr old off the track standardbred. He was retired a year ago and his trainer needed to move him or auction him. I took him to buy him time, but I need another horse like I need a hole in the head, thus he needs to move on. He won almost 800k and deserves to be loved on and happy. Sound, has some old ankles etc from his racing history, and could be a wonderful pal around trail horse with training. Let me know if this may be an option for you. I just want to see him go into a home where people have time to love on him and give him the attention he deserves...
    R.I.P. Barbaro
    Good luck Nicanor & Lentenor !

Sounds like a camp horse might be the perfect thing for you. I don't remember any specific names but I saw some advertised for free lease on some of the horse website and in some local magazines. I think they usuallly run from September to June and hopefully would be fairly beginner safe if they are used for camp!

AinVa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CSSporthorses View Post
    I know you said you wanted something beginnner safe but thought I'd throw out my gelding to you. He's a 6 yr old off the track standardbred. He was retired a year ago and his trainer needed to move him or auction him. I took him to buy him time, but I need another horse like I need a hole in the head, thus he needs to move on. He won almost 800k and deserves to be loved on and happy. Sound, has some old ankles etc from his racing history, and could be a wonderful pal around trail horse with training. Let me know if this may be an option for you. I just want to see him go into a home where people have time to love on him and give him the attention he deserves...
    Thank you for your offer but I thing he would be a bit too much to handle for us. I do hope you find a good home for him.

I posted a thread about camp horses needing homes until June 2009... it might be on page 2 now?

There are several nice, gentle, kind horses that would suit you guys. I know one of those horses MAY be headed down to VA... maybe they could pop one on the trailer for you too!

Here I just found the info for them... Some of these guys have been leased already, but Biscuit, Sara and Roxy would all be perfect for you and I know they are still available.

http://dreamhorse.com/show_list.php3...wner_id=381036
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

AinVa Guest

Default We have found a horse

We have found a horse for us and we're so happy! Thanks to everybody for responding.