The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

The rain, rain, rain came down, down, down

Unhappy SoCal-Beautiful large Dutch/Tb mare -FOUND A HOME

I am totally out of my zone of experience with this mare. She is a gorgeous 16 hand bay, 4 years old, registered Rheinland Pfal Szaar. She has jumping lines but broke her withers a year ago and I dont know if she can jump or not, one vet said probably small stuff and another said no. I have xrays that I had taken after I bought her. The injury happened before I bought her, they said she fell in pasture. She respects crossties and can be straight tied so I believe them. She has not shown any signs of discomfort and was being ridden walk, trot, canter when I bought her. She is conformationally correct and would probably produce nice babies. I have spent some time working on ground manners and long lining, she has been very good. I have ridden her maybe 6 times, walk and trot in the last two months. She intimidates me under saddle. Lately she has taken to rearing when she doesn't get her way under saddle and now I am scared to ride her. I cannot afford professional training and need to find her a home with someone that isn't scared by rearing. I know she will make a beautiful riding horse when she realizes her rider is the boss. Unfortunately that wont be me.

I am attached to her and want her to go to a good home with a good and understanding rider. If anyone is looking for a lovely prospect please dont hesitate to contact me. twohotponiesATjunoDotcom I am very sad about this and would like to keep her but she is a girl that needs a job and I can't give her one. I have pictures.
    Last edited by twohotponies; Oct. 20, 2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: found a home
    Proud owner of a very pretty but completely useless horse.

Default More info

*whats the location of this rearing young lady

*can you post a link / url for her pics

she is young and this is not that unusual, especially if she has discovered it gets her way and you off her back
    I would start here and maybe you can keep your horse.

when a horse persistently rears under saddle due to defiance that it's best to address the problem on the ground. The same horse may or may not rear while on the ground, but whether he does or not is irrelevant. Groundwork is about gaining mental control over a horse by establishing yourself as a gentle, yet firm, pack leader. Once you achieve this point, the horse won't rebel against you and as such the rearing should become a thing of the past.
    So if you're starting groundwork due to a horse rearing while riding, and you find that the naughty horse doesn't rear while on the ground, continue with the groundwork just as you would any horse in training. Work through the basics until you establish yourself as the leader.
    You want to determine why your horse is rearing. Horse rearing can be caused by:
    *A mischievous younger horse trying to release a few extra oats out of his system.
    *Serious pain and discomfort.
    *Fear and apprehension.
    *Rebellion or disrespect for the owner.
    Many horse owners want to know how to stop a horse from rearing while riding, and honestly I think this is a poor approach. First, you place yourself at far greater harm while on the saddle, yet at the same time you maintain far less control. That's a bad duo. Second, I strongly believe that solid groundwork is far more effective at tackling the root causes of horse rearing. Rearing is the result of a root cause, so tackling the reaction rather than the cause is less effective.
    Search for the root cause
    Does your horse rear in a particular spot? Does your horse rear for all riders, or just specific people? Does your horse rear right from the start and randomly throughout a riding session, or can the rearing almost be predicted based on history? The reason you want to search for a pattern is because a pattern will point you towards a direct cause.

For example, if your horse rears only in the left corner of your riding arena, it's likely due to apprehension. He fears something in that region, whether it be a cow in the semi-distant pasture or a hose lying in the grass. If fear is the cause, address the root of the fear; don't focus on the rearing since it's only a reaction. Once you eliminate the fear, you eliminate the poor behavior.
    Another common example with some younger or more independent-minded horses is riding duration. If you notice your horse starts rearing 40 minutes into the ride, you might simply be working him too hard. Analyze your requests and try to determine if you're asking too much, or if your horse is simply being lazy and not respecting your authority.
    Once you have determined that your horse isn't rearing due to a perceivable cause, it might be safe to assume he's being defiant. In such cases I prefer to take the saddle off and go back to basics through disciplined round pen work, and I wouldn't stop until the horse's defiance was burned away. When a horse views you as a respected alpha leader, he's not likely to challenge you by rearing while under saddle.
    Let's assume you really don't want to do groundwork, or that you aren't in an area that allows you to dismount and transition to ground work. The secret weapon against a rearing horse is balance – not only yours, but his. It actually takes a good deal of effort for a horse to rear, so you can and should use this as a weapon against him and I don't mean a harsh bit or a
    2x4 between the ears As such, a horse that "flinches" out of shock or fear won't think about the bit in its mouth, and it may very well end up rearing despite the bit, but causing serious wounds to his mouth in the process and the 2x4 will olny scare it more So harsh bits as a preventative measure against rearing horses is a no-no. Continue using a gentle riding bit, try your best to keep the head collected, but accept the fact that he may ignore your rein cues when "caught in the moment."
    One of the things you'll want to do is try to keep his head collected and possibly even tucked (depending on the breed and gait) at all times. A tie down can be helpful to keep the horses head down but only if necssary
    The next weapon, and a far more effective one than depending on the head, is his rear quarters. In order to rear a horse must be either at a complete stop or be barely moving forward. If he's walking briskly, trotting or cantering he cannot rear. With this in mind, if you detect your horse slowing down prompt him to move forward. If you need the aid of spurs to push him forward consider using them (but only if necessary) – the key is that if you move him forward he won't be able to rear.
    To some degree this will take a certain level of riding proficiency. You have to be able to "feel" the horse's body language and a degree of lightness in his front hooves when he's thinking of rearing. You need to anticipate what your horse's next move will be so that you can counter it before he can execute it.
    Finally, keep your horse's mind equally engaged, because boredom is one of the common causes for rearing within a riding arena. Try mixing up the riding session a bit. Vary the gaits. Vary the directions. Perhaps give him some obstacles to work with. If you feel his mind drifting, give him an order to snap his attention back to you. A happy horse that's focused on you while riding is far less likely to rear.

( if they only leaned the good habits as quick as the bad ones training
    would be so much easier )

WOW!!! did I say all that I just gave away my secrets O-well you will get my Bill for the lesson the 1st of next month
    One Man Dreams to Have What Another Man Throws Away
    Web Site http://home.comcast.net/~trickysplace/farm/farm.htm
    E-mail lazy_e_stables@comcast.net

where is she located?
    !

Default Location

Southern Califonia some where , I was wondering as well
    One Man Dreams to Have What Another Man Throws Away
    Web Site http://home.comcast.net/~trickysplace/farm/farm.htm
    E-mail lazy_e_stables@comcast.net

I have a friend in Santa Barbara looking for something to love on in her free time..not sure where that is in relation to your mare...
    !

The rain, rain, rain came down, down, down

She is in Ramona, California. East San Diego county.
    Proud owner of a very pretty but completely useless horse.