The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Several TB's (rescues) - Central KY -update post 3

I have been contacted by the Lincoln County Kentucky Humane Society. They have several horses who were pulled out of a situation where they were starving and are looking for great homes for them, preferably not as broodmares for the racing industry.

The two mares on the website are no longer available but two horses still are. I'm hoping to see them and put a stick on them tonight so will try to update again tomorrow but...

There is a 7 yo mare (no tatoo) and a 3 yo gelding (no tatoo). We're going to try to get some pictures of these two tonight.
    Last edited by Holly Jeanne; Oct. 8, 2008 at 08:47 AM.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Goodness - too many of these stories lately. Please post more as you can.

I am not in a position to go get one (wish I could - have pasture but distance plus I will NOT haul over Sandstone Mtn!!! call me chicken!).... let me know if they have younger ones that are still riding sound!

Hope this little bump works

Default Ok, I've seen them

Went to see these four horses last night. Turns out, someone wants one of them but which one is flexible so, if you have a particular interest let them know. I didn't get to see them move as it was raining so I can't speak to movement. Heights are approx as I was measuring in the rain on uneven ground.

1) Irish Deborah. 16 yo mare. This is a pretty, pretty bay mare. Nice head. She's about 15.2. May have been on the track but pretty sure she hasn't been ridden since. I didn't see her move but am told she is a lovely mover. No papers but here is her pedigree:
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/irish+deborah

2) Won Bright Nickel. This is a 7 yo mare. May have been on the track. She's a black/bay, very dark. She's about 15.3. She still needs to put on a lot of weight so no real top line right now. Also pretty sure she wasn't re-started after the track. Not even sure whether she ever raced but it's doubtful. I think this mare may have papers. I'm thinking this could turn out to be a lovely mare once in good weight and conditioned.

If I hadn't taken some major financial hits in the last couple of years and if I wasn't worried about enough hay for my own horses, I'd take these girls home and at least put some ground work into them. (Nothing against the others but I'm a mare person and I like mine a little bigger than the last mare)

3) Name unknown (how sad is that). This is a very petite 7 yo mare maybe about 15 hands, no papers, no tatoo. Also black, black/bay. She's a bit unsure of people but that's understandable considering she was starved and likely never started. I don't know that much about sport pony breeding but someone who does may want to look at her.

4) Name unknown. 3 yo gelding. No papers, no tatoo. Ok, this guy has most likely never had much done with him and was starved but he was practically in our pockets last night. He has more bone than the mares and stands about 15.1 right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he might have a growth spurt now that he is putting on weight but, of course, no guarantees. My initial impression was that he was bigger than that and we were measuring on a slight slope. While we were talking, nice Humane Society guy took out a pocket knife and began cutting clumps of mane matted with burrs and the sweetie just stood there. He wasn't as thrilled with having it done to his tail but just walked away (no halter and out in the field). I was impressed with his disposition. Heads a bit big but he's a cute guy. Maybe he'll grow into it.

I'm hoping to get some pictures of the last two but the first two can be seen here: http://web.centre.edu/dajones/
    I have a couple more pictures of these two. Contact:
    sarge@isp.com

By the way, kudos to this Humane Society. They aren't used to dealing with horses and have really stepped up to the plate!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Default more pics

Well, I've got a couple of pics of the gelding and the smaller mare. Not conformation shots but keep in mind that we were loosing the light and it was raining. They've put on weight and had vet care but you can see that they are still thin.

http://web.centre.edu/dajones/