The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Source for wool felt half-pad

I'm trying to help a friend locate a source for a thick, wool-felt half pad for an older horse that needs a little cushion under the saddle. Her instructor uses these with great results. They're cut in front (wither relief) and also seem to have a cut-out at the mid-point. They're designed to go on top of a regular saddle pad, but directly under the saddle. They're about the size of a Mattes sheepskin 1/2 pad.

The instructor has been happy with the shock-absorption capabilities of these pads, and the wool felt appears to breathe better than, say, a gel pad. This is NOT a sheepskin pad--it's dense, felted wool. I've never seen one other than the 2 that the instructor has.

Any ideas where to go?

Is it the Beval Therapeutic pad?

http://www.beval.com/Products/Beval-...d/2069005.aspx

I bought one of these a few months ago and love it. A friend has one, who let me borrow it, that was over 5 years old and it looked practically new. Look on Ebay and Craigslist before you buy new - you could get a huge savings.

check out Diamond Wool Pads at www.diamondwoolpads.com. They're made in Woonsocket, RI. There might be something there . Our club always got pads there for year end awards for our Dressage/ 2-Phase Division.

It's a shame, I just sold one on ebay that went for very little. Toklat makes one as well with the spine/wither cut out in front.

I just bought a new one. Mine was three yesrs old and worn out. I fogot how THICK they are!

Wow, thank God my girth is onthe 4th hole on each side, cause it's got to bend and break in.

Have you noticed that it takes a while to settle in with your saddle?

Schneider's makes an inexpensive one with a wither cut out.

Default I have a plain thick gray one

It's quite old, but in great shape, but it doesn't have the cut outs. I think it was like $30 when I bought it from a local tack shop. Have not seen one for sale in years, but they are great!
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

Does anyone make a pad like this that is shaped to follow the wither? I simply won't buy any of the pads listed because they are flat, no contour, and on some horses that means it won't truly stay off the wither.

There's this, from Toklat:

http://www.toklat.com/dyn_prod.php?p=18-409-3&k=87238

There was one listed at State Line tack but it says "product no longer available."

Default Thanks, but those aren't it

I had already seen both the Toklat and the Beval and neither looks like what we're looking for. This pad is felt only. It has no fleece (sheepskin or otherwise). It's cut out for wither relief, then has a slit for spine relief. And it's pretty thick felt--probably 3/4" or 1".

hmmm. Sounds like someone made a good product, then it has disappeared from the marketplace.

Thanks, CB/TB, I looked at diamondwoolpads.com, but none of those were what we're looking for either. However, those do look like cool pads.

Default Dallasgreenie

Where'd you get yours? Is it felt-only?

I really think the one from Schneiders sounds like what you are describing.

http://www.sstack.com/shopping/produ...ProductID=1590

It is made of grey felt only. It has a wither slit and some holes for ventilation. It's one inch thick. It was great for my horse that has a very high wither.

Default Schneider's

That's not precisely what my friend's instructor has, but looks to be designed the same way. Thanks! I'm passing that link along to her.

Default make your own pad

I know exactly what you're talking about. I found the perfect wool felt pad years ago - could NEVER find it again.

I eventually bought a western wool, felt pad, big square thing, and was able to cut out 2 fitted pads for my english saddle. I cut holes out along the spine area and for another horses I cut the wither area out. So they were both "custom made"!
    At 1/2 the cost I would have spent on 1 Beval pad.

Quote Originally Posted by aiken4horses View Post
    At 1/2 the cost I would have spent on 1 Beval pad.
    The Beval pad is also REALLY thick (and stiff). I looked at one, new, at a tack store yesterday. I'm betting it would compress/get more flexible with use, but I thought it would be too much for a minor saddle-fitting issue.