The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I particularly apreciate a judge that is compassionate about a tough ride. Most recently apreciate Kristi Wysocki for such - did not give a score away, but was fair and compassionate (even helpful) with her comments.

1 members found this post helpful.

Unhappy not many are still around

Ginna la croix,

Is Gen. Burton still judging?most of he others I liked are either retired or dead
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Ames View Post
    Ginna la croix,

Is Gen. Burton still judging?most of he others I liked are either retired or dead
    I scribed for him earlier this year at Yarra Yarra Ranch in Dublin, California. He lives with his daughter in Arizona since his wife passed away. He bicycles almost 5 miles a day! He is fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by Bethe Mounce View Post
    I scribed for him earlier this year at Yarra Yarra Ranch in Dublin, California. He lives with his daughter in Arizona since his wife passed away. He bicycles almost 5 miles a day! He is fabulous!
    Gen. Burton's daughter posted this message on his Facebook account today....

"Thanks to all the people who wrote messages. Jack is 93 today and read through all of them. He is going out for mexican food tonight with friends for his birthday. He finally retired from judging this year, and his bike is now his only mount, but he rides it every day, and gets out with the dogs and gets outs out around Tucson. Thank everyone for your messages and thoughts!
    Judy Lewis (daughter) for Jack"

2 members found this post helpful.

I think this is a useful thread, too ... show managers depend on competitor feedback but that only happens after they've made a good (or not so good) choice.

I wouldn't post negatives on a public forum, so this is more of a "highlight" list, IMO.

I have scribed for some crabby judges that I would show for in a heartbeat. I have scribed for some genial folk that I wouldn't waste entry fees on, not because of scoring but because of the quality of their attention (experienced by me over time, not just one day).

Having said that ... Sue Kolstrom is among the very very best judges, IMO. Her comments always reflect the directives (not always typical even with very good judges), which seems to be an important perspective if one is trying to influence the ability and understanding of riders as to what the test writers had in mind.

She's fair, sensible, and ... among my highest rated judges based on 20 years of scribing at all levels.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

It's that time of year again! Competitors and managers, who did you like and dislike this year, and WHY?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    It's that time of year again! Competitors and managers, who did you like and dislike this year, and WHY?

Thanks!
    I rode for Debbie Riehl-Rodriguez several times this season and really liked her. She was very fair with comments that were on point and constructive. I also rode for Janet Foy at championships and again thought her feedback was spot on and helpful.

This year some of our shows opted for some new blood, and I was very impressed with these judges:

Gabrial Armando, FEI 4*, ARG
    Claudia Mesquita, FEI 4*, BRZ <- probably my favorite
    Mercedes Campdera, FEI 4*, MEX
    Maria Colliander (Kaanos), FEI 4*, FIN

And of course, the usual Hilda, Axel, Cara, Joan Macartney. But also Brenda Minor, Marian Cunningham and probably a few others I am forgetting!!

Lots of the judges mentioned are ones I would have mentioned.... Charlotte Trentelman, Lilo, Sue Kolstead, Bill Woods, Gary Rockwell.......

For management teams, the folks who manage the Orlando Dressage Shows at Clarcona are great. I know their show Sec. was up at Lexington last week. (Gayle Whitty and Sandra Trussell)

I'd be interested to know what some define as "negative comments"...I rode a test this year that scored pretty well, at 70%, and for one of the movements, a downward transition, I got an 8 with a comment of "could have better balance". I loved it! From my perspective, judge was telling me how to move that 8 to a 9 or maybe a 10 someday. :-) But perhaps to others they'd be all "WTF - they gave me an 8 with a negative comment?" I dunno? I don't want rainbows and sunshine for comments on my test, even if I get good scores. If I scored an 8 that could easily be a 9 with some tweaking...tell me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Cook View Post
    I'd be interested to know what some define as "negative comments"...
    To me a negative comment is one that is just straight up rude and not constructive in any way. The comment you received is not what I would call negative at all - that comment is typical of the comments on every test. I have only received one comment ever that I thought fell in the negative/nonconstructive category - it was actually this summer. I was really upset at the time but it was from a very well respected judge. After letting it eat at me for a week or two after the show I decided that I just needed let it go and assume that it was either transcribed inaccurately or that I was interpreting it in a way that was not intended.

I love that Ida Anderson dresses in bright colors and sparkles. She makes me smile when I come down the CL. She is positive and I appreciate the fact that she is lightening up the atmosphere which at times can be just a bit too serious. Relax and ride!

The ''negativity'' often comes from the reader's point of view.

Technically, ''Could have better balance'' is not a negative comment. It would have been negative if is was written like that : ''not balanced'', ''unbalanced'', wasn't enough balanced'' and even then, paired with an 8, it just suggest that everything else in the movement was really correct.

I've got; ''Horse has potential for higher level.'' with 7 for the gaits, 6 for impulsion and submission and 5.5 for the rider... on our first attempt this summer at second level and scoring 61.8 something.

Does the judge mean that with another (better) rider, my horse would score higher? Of course. Does it mean that I suck as a rider that day (or everyday)? Of course.
    Do I feel bad for myself? Nope (maybe a little). But for me, it means that I need to work harder on myself in order to showcase my horse better.

Years ago when I was riding an ex-PSG horse my first time at First level, we had a schoolmaster/dumb student moment where I accidentally cued some lovely flying changes in from of Lois Yukins. She was the *only* judge who recognized the relationship for what it was and had some great comments about what I could learn from the horse

There are a couple of local judges I love riding in front of for their accuracy and constructiveness of their comments.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I rode for Mike Osinski this year and he was super encouraging, gave good comments and I really enjoyed the whole experience.

Ditto the thought on comments that are instructive on why not a higher score - two of my favorite comments were from Jeanne McDonald: one was on a disastrous ride where horse was coming unglued most of the ride at a championships, "tough situation today, but man do you know how to ride a half pass" saved my future riding career when I was really at the end of my rope, that comment did. The other was one a canter circle- release rein at 2nd level " only thing keeping this from higher score is canter quality" with a 9.

Agree with many of the great senior and FEI judges listed here, but as one who runs shows and holds a recently earned "r" judges card, let me put out a plea for folks to hire those small r's. They are well trained, and are supposed to be judging a lot to gain experience and develop their eye. Across the country this isn't happening. Most are willing to do short days, fill ins, co-judge, etc. as a manager, this can be helpful for scheduling if you need to break for your "S" judge but overfilled, can get a few intro-2nd classes done. Competitors love having an additional judge "combination" for scores if you have a co-judge situation. The small r is generally willing to prorate the day or offer other incentives...

I went out of my way to apprentice with judges I had appreciated riding for - Lilo, Louise Koch, Jeanne, Sandy Howard, Elizabeth Searle, and it was really interesting to see the methodology and demeanor. I really liked sitting with some of the r and R judges too for experience. They were still actively developing their style and were very supportive of their riders.

Very short list of judges that I'd not hire again, usually not for competency but high maintenance issues.
    Anne Howard, MPT
    American Sporthorse
    www.in-balance.com
    Watsonville, California

Hands down, Lois Yukins

Well, I don't know if I'd so much call what I've been unhappy with "negative" so much as "were they totally oblivious." Dressage at one starter HT here--so may or may not have been a licensed judge, as I can't decipher the signature on the test--horse was having a meltdown spooking at the potted plant at A, just being at tense, hollow monster every time we went past it. I, as a rider, was well aware that this was a problem, and that our scores would reflect that, as should have been evidenced by how the horse went at every point moving away from the Maw Of Death At A. So seeing "5-Tense" or "4 Mincing steps, lacking momentum" were not at all helpful, and some kind of acknowledgement of "horse spooking" anywhere on the test might have been appropriate. Versus the test I did at a licensed show with an R judge, who gave me a 5.5 for rider score with the comment "stirrups too long," which was a helpful comment that showed some understanding of what might be hindering me from getting a better score.

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    Well, I don't know if I'd so much call what I've been unhappy with "negative" so much as "were they totally oblivious." Dressage at one starter HT here--so may or may not have been a licensed judge, as I can't decipher the signature on the test--horse was having a meltdown spooking at the potted plant at A, just being at tense, hollow monster every time we went past it. I, as a rider, was well aware that this was a problem, and that our scores would reflect that, as should have been evidenced by how the horse went at every point moving away from the Maw Of Death At A. So seeing "5-Tense" or "4 Mincing steps, lacking momentum" were not at all helpful, and some kind of acknowledgement of "horse spooking" anywhere on the test might have been appropriate. Versus the test I did at a licensed show with an R judge, who gave me a 5.5 for rider score with the comment "stirrups too long," which was a helpful comment that showed some understanding of what might be hindering me from getting a better score.
    The judge has to comment on what they see at that time - tense, or short steps are valid comments.

I think of negative or useless comments such as "rider too small for horse", "thunder", "bad", "this breed can't..." etc - useless comments (and yes, I've seen all these on dressage tests over the years). Judges are not suppose to TEACH, they are suppose to let you know what is wrong and/or right with the movement. With a score of 6 or lower, the judge is suppose to comment on why it wasn't a higher score, then with scores of 8 or higher, it is a good practice to let a rider know what is needed for an even higher score (or let them know whey they scored so well). They can only comment on what they see at that moment, not conjecture on what might have been or what might be. The rider should be aware of what is going on w/ the ride! I'd be more bothered if you got back scores and comments and felt like "that was NOT what I felt"...

Quote Originally Posted by sporthorsept View Post
    Ditto the thought on comments that are instructive on why not a higher score - two of my favorite comments were from Jeanne McDonald: one was on a disastrous ride where horse was coming unglued most of the ride at a championships, "tough situation today, but man do you know how to ride a half pass" saved my future riding career when I was really at the end of my rope, that comment did. The other was one a canter circle- release rein at 2nd level " only thing keeping this from higher score is canter quality" with a 9.

Agree with many of the great senior and FEI judges listed here, but as one who runs shows and holds a recently earned "r" judges card, let me put out a plea for folks to hire those small r's. They are well trained, and are supposed to be judging a lot to gain experience and develop their eye. Across the country this isn't happening. Most are willing to do short days, fill ins, co-judge, etc. as a manager, this can be helpful for scheduling if you need to break for your "S" judge but overfilled, can get a few intro-2nd classes done. Competitors love having an additional judge "combination" for scores if you have a co-judge situation. The small r is generally willing to prorate the day or offer other incentives...

I went out of my way to apprentice with judges I had appreciated riding for - Lilo, Louise Koch, Jeanne, Sandy Howard, Elizabeth Searle, and it was really interesting to see the methodology and demeanor. I really liked sitting with some of the r and R judges too for experience. They were still actively developing their style and were very supportive of their riders.

Very short list of judges that I'd not hire again, usually not for competency but high maintenance issues.
    Totally agree - many "r" and "R" judges have great training and great eyes AND they are currently competing - and the only way we are going to get more "R" and "S" judges is to support the "up and comers". Especially in larger shows, an "r" can take over the Training Level rides and get at least a few of the 1st and 2nd level rides to those riders can get feedback and comments (and scores for awards and championships) from more then one judge!