The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I went to watch a schooling show in April of last year, and I think the judge was Marija Trieschman. After seeing how she asked each rider about their horse and gave comments to each afterwards, I really wish that I would have shown that day. She offered some GREAT advice to each rider and seemed like she was very supportive with a wonderful sense of humor.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

For me there have been so many. I can honestly say in the last year of me showing, I have run into very few people that didn't make a good impression on me.

Linda Zang: Who just recently took the time to help me once I had finished showing in her ring, my third level debut. (I have to say I was more nervous showing in front of her then I thought),

Joanna Gwinn, also very encouraging.
    Pam Wooding, same.
    Marylin Payne, same.

Show Management: Most recently, Jaquie Richie..saved my bacon this week, Hawk Hollow, and LVDA.

I know I have forgotten to thank many I am sure. I also would like to say I have only been showing dressage for the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    OMG I rode with her today for the first time. LOVE HER! She was so nice and helpful.
    I take lessons with her too, love her!!
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Salley Crews (I think this is how she spells it )

Very nice lady and helpful
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Dinah Babcock
    Fran Dearing
    Hilda Gurney
    Debbie Riehl-Rodriguez
    Bill Solyntjes
    Stephen Clarke - I have not ridden under him, but from the clinic I audited he would be super, I am sure!
    Joan Darnell

Pam Kimble - had a ride-n-review with her too! She was very informative and encouraging. Helped me really understand where my scores came from!

I'm going to 2nd Debbie Riehl-Rodriquez and add Marie Johnson to the list.

We had Debbie at a show last year, and she was both fun and well-liked by competitors and the other show staff. 2 thumbs up.

I scribed for Marie Johnson in July and thought she was very positive and tried hard to give helpful feedback while using the full scoring scale. I remember thinking, "The riders will be very happy with both their scores and comments."

I would definitely ride under her any time and wouldn't hesitate to have her at one of my shows.

Spectrum.

Love Col. Kitts. Rode under him quite a bit as a JR/YR and he was always very positive/constructive and helpful. Not surprisingly, he's also a joy to scribe for.

With the wrap up of another show season, I thought I'd resurrect this thread and ask competitors (and show managers) if they have any new suggestions on judges they like! Also, any bad experiences please PM me.

As a relatively "new" show organizer the input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Spectrum.

Lloyd Landkamer runs a fabulous show.

Elizabeth Searle (but she's now retired). My favorite!! So sorry she's retired, but I believe she's in her 80s, so perfectly understandable.

Jeff Moore

Sue Curry

Paula Lacey

Hilda G.

Axel Steiner

I could do a list of NOT favorites, but let's no go there! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post
    Janet Foy
    Dolly Hannon
    Axel Steiner

I know there are more but I'm tired. I'll check in again!
    EEEK! Axel Steiner! Sorry don't agree. I won't show when he is judging.

Hey, you don't have to agree with me, but he's got the knowledge and the background. He has (or had) the O ranking last time I rode in front of him. I'll take the opportunity to ride for an O or I or S judge as often as possible.

I respect their opinions. May not always agree or like their opinions, but I respect them. And I take them to heart.

At one of our last shows this season, we had three "Bills":

Solentjes (Lord help me, I know that's wrong!),
    McMullin, and
    Warren

All three were excellent. I applaud McMullin and Warren, who displayed good humor at my gelding's antics in our last test of the show. Friends rode in front of Bill S., and liked him very much.

At our championships, we had several judges -- I did not ride for all of them, but especially liked Marian Cunningham, Jane Weatherwax and Sue Madden Mandas of the ones I did ride in front of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    I could do a list of NOT favorites, but let's no go there!
    I wish we could. What makes a judge a favorite or a non favorite? Are the favorite judges ones that have give you high scores? As for remarks, there is little time and space to provide much in the way of helpful remarks, so how can that be a source from which to rate a judge?

I like tough judges, but not judges that are stingy. There's a difference There are several judges that I will not show under because they score high and I don't respect their opinion.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hilda was WONDERFUL to the riders, giving them extra time to circle and view the scary (high winds) judges stand, etc.

from a show management perspective, she's very difficult to work with as she likes things to be VERY precise.

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    I wish we could. What makes a judge a favorite or a non favorite? Are the favorite judges ones that have give you high scores? As for remarks, there is little time and space to provide much in the way of helpful remarks, so how can that be a source from which to rate a judge?

I like tough judges, but not judges that are stingy. There's a difference There are several judges that I will not show under because they score high and I don't respect their opinion.

Well, I've long since forgotten the name, but there was one - as I have cited before - who wrote on my trainer's test "Lovely test - too bad about the color." She was riding 2nd level on a 17.2 h.h. Palomino Appendix QH. Believe me, he looked (and moved) like a WB, but waaaay back then, I doubt there was an actual Palomino WB in the country, so he was "known" to be an "off breed." ROFLOL The horse went on to successful Grand Prix and was sold to the wife of a then notable country singer.

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post

So, I'm on both sides of the discussion, if you will. I work in show management, and I also show. From a competitor's standpoint I appreciate comments on my test, not just scores. From management standpoint, a judge who insists on a novella, regardless of the circling horse makes me nuts. These are recognized shows that I am referring to. It's not a clinic. Explain your score, make a helpful comment or two on the bottom and move on.

Ditto on Hilda being good for competitors, expecially since those with "off" breeds can fair pretty well with her, but a bear for management.

Another 4 hooves up for Debbie Riehl-Rodriguez. Fair, knowledgeable and obsessed with straightness.

Dolly Hannon, Lois Yukins, Bill Solyntjes, Linda Zang

Gosh, I haven't ridden in front of Debbie RR in ages, but did show my mare in a sport horse class with Debbie judging.

I think my mare got marked down because I'd pulled a hamstring the month before and I'm a lousy runner on the best of days. We had a laugh about my unsoundness.

She's a fine judge.

I wish more judges would be like a few mentioned here and give the rider 15 to 30 seconds of immediate feedback. It's one of the things I like about schooling shows; most judges will do that. Getting the score sheet and comments later is not the same.

I've only cliniced with Linda Zang, but she's really good. Gives great feedback and is funny while ever so slightly snarky. I can see how she'd be a good judge.