The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Arrow Young TB mare for Free Lease - Fredericksburg, VA

We have a 6 y.o. (2002) beautiful grey TB mare, 15.2 hh, never raced (not ever trained for the track), for lease in Fredericksburg, VA. She was professionally trained under saddle for 90 days a couple years ago, and was put into professional hunter training by us this past April for 120 days. She is still fairly green and would need a confident, skilled rider, but has made considerable progress in training and has been started over fences.

This mare has a great mind, is forward and bold but not spooky or uncontrollable. My 14 year old daughter had been riding her with the trainer and did very well with her. She has NEVER bucked or bolted, and always has a stop in her when you ask. Beautiful gaits, especially at the canter - very long and fluid. Our vet did a VERY thorough pre-purchase exam in March and she passed everything, all flexions and movement tests, with no issues whatsoever.

Please contact me for more information or pictures - mare is grey with black points, athletic build, with long legs and deep heartgirth. I can also refer you to the trainer who has been working with her. She is very sweet and tries hard, very honest to the fences. She has only been jumping 18" to 2' in training so far, but has the potential to do much more as long as she is patiently worked up to it. Thanks

Julie S.
    Last edited by KnightShade; Aug. 23, 2008 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Change to full lease

Default Bump

Still available...

Why is she being leased out?

Default why..

Raven was bought to be my daughter's next show horse, and we immediately put her into full-time training when we got her. However, we are having some $$ issues due to the real estate market and had to bring the horse home after 4 months, which I thought would be okay. However...

Basically, my daughter is intimidated by her outside of a full-time training environment. I want to be very clear that the horse never did anything dangerous or hurt her, but her high energy level and alertness apparently make my daughter nervous and afraid to ride away from the trainer. The trainer only works with horses at the training barn full time, and I can't get my daughter to even pay attention to this horse since we brought her home. We did not anticipate that sort of reaction, but she gets nervous handling her on the ground and just feels safe only when there are other people around to help her. It just seems like it's not a good match at this time, and I don't want the horse to just stand around donig nothing.

I don't think it is beneficial to force her to ride a horse she is afraid of, but I like this horse a lot and would rather know where she is than just sell her outright and wonder what happened to her. We have considered placing her in a college riding program as well, but that is not my first choice. She is young, healthy, has a good mind, and is very athletic, so I don't want her to become a "throwaway" or to just ship her off. In the right situation, I would possibly consider selling her, after a lease period and with a contract that I would get first right of refusal if she were to be put for sale again.

That's it, please feel free to ask any questions - I'll put up a pic too. She's a pretty grey with black points.

Julie S.

Default more

Just wanted to make a couple things clear based on some questions I've gotten...

1. I would not ship her far outside our local area, would prefer a location within 2 hours of us (zip 22407). Her care is important to me and I would like to be able to follow up on her if possible. Would do a partial lease too, at the property we board at.

2. I handle this horse all the time on the ground, and she is fine for me. When we first start, she usually has a burst of energy to get out, but then is quiet and nice to work with. I don't know why my daughter feels nervous around her the way she does, I think it is just because she hasn't worked with her WITHOUT a trainer present, and doesn't feel like she can. Sometimes there just isn't a good enough connection between a horse and rider, especially with a kid involved.

3. We completely understand she is not a horse that would be considered valuable in today's market, but she has had several months of professional hunter training, was started over fences, and was really doing very well. I just want her to be cared for and ridden, because she is too nice to throw away. She is not registered so really wouldn't be broodmare qualified for that reason, although I have a pedigree that is supposed to belong to her if someone were interested in knowing her background, assuming it's accurate...

Which trainer was she with?
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

Default TB Mare for Free Lease

Sent you a PM

Default Trainer

post removed....
    Last edited by KnightShade; Oct. 9, 2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: change post

Default running out of options

Considering donating to a decent university program...

If anyone is interested in working with this mare, that is all she needs. We are no longer in a position to maintain & board three horses when this one isn't being used. Young, sound & healthy - just needs a consistent program from someone who will treat her right and knows what they're doing. Lease or own - PM me.

really wish i was closer and could take on a second horse right now.

Default still available

I was wondering if she was still available i board at a hunter/jumper barn in greenville, nc is that too far