The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me pick my eventing colors!

I have a bay tobiano paint and I need help picking the best eventing colors for him. I have a black vest and helmet, but I am looking to get a saddle pad front boots and bell boots. What colors do you think work with this horse the best? Should I get any other items that match? Thanks for your advice! I am open to anything as I have been wearing black and white for too long! Help this dressage rider get some color! Photos of the horse can be seen at:
    http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee203/Atheta21/
    Thanks in advance!

Whatever colors you like will work well. I like these colors though.

Red and Black
    Royal Blue and Black
    Navy and Light Blue
    Royal Blue and Yellow
    Hunter Green and Yellow
    T3DE Pact

Red and black are my colors. Obviously I like them, but I think that they look good together, and aren't too bright, but are colorful enough to not be boring. I also like the fact that when you start collecting multiple horses, you could use either color to look better. For instance, your paint sounds like red/black would look great on him, but if you ever bought a chesnut (and if you're anal about such things like I am...) you wouldn't want the red to clash, so you could use black as your main, w/ as little red as possible.
    Just try not to pick something that EVERYONE ELSE HAS. It can get confusing, plus it's unoriginal. Just pick something you like.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home D├ęcor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

I actually like the way your blue and yellow winter jacket looks in the one picture. You could make those your colors.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

next to the Devon H.S. & what was the Radnor Hunt 3 Day

Default navy and red :~)

I personally LOVE navy blue and red... very sharp
    "Lucky you to have ridden Kildonan Tug- Luckier you to have loved him"
    "Carrying you to prelim was the jewel in Tug's crown."
    "Great horses find you. You don't find them."

Even though I don't event anymore or jump-my colors were black, purple and teal. Just please don't go neon unless you are doing a night ride

I'd look through pictures from a recent event -- just thumb through on any photographer's website (GRC, hoofclix, akdragoo, etc.) and see what catches your eye

I happen to love bright colors...and my eventing colors are hot pink and black. I've put it on greys, chestnuts, and bays...and it even looked ok on the redheads

On one of my redheads
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...NovXCPM442.jpg
    On my big bay
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...elmd07/sg6.jpg
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

I might be wrong but I think originally they were supposed to be combinations of colors found in the Olympic rings. That does limit you, however!

Awesome! Thanks for all the help! Keep your colors coming! And feel free to share with us why you chose them and any other cool info!
    I am still undecided, but getting closer!

About the Olympic Ring colors: that's fascinating! Where did you hear that? What about country colors?

It was a while back and I want to say Bruce Davidson was the source

If you want to use the black.....go with Black and Blue! Those were my XC colors for years on my little chestnut mare! LOL! Luckily, knock on wood, I never acquired many black-n-blues to match my gear.

After a nine year hiatus from eventing, I started a new horse last year. I decided to update my look so now I go with navy and maroon on a black horse.

Good luck! I love finding XC gear in my colors.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    View my blog: http://standardbredexcellence.blogspot.com/

Hey, you have been sneaking around on "my" horse!

Harvey, the lovely bay paint that belongs to Cody here on COTH that I am borrowing from her to ride while Taz comes back, looks quite like your horse.

At this point, I am sticking with mostly black and white -- my barn colors are dark hunter green, black and white/silver trim. But, since he is so colorful, I think the plain mostly black with some green/white trim is going to look best.

But, he did do dressage this evening in a hot pink saddle pad that insisted I buy it in the sale bin at Rolex . . . Originally intended someday for my filly, who will be grey, it perks up the already loud boy when no one else is around

Have fun!

Libby & Harbey
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

I think a lot depends on whether you are picking colors for *this particular horse*, or for yourself/your barn, looking at the long run of many, many years. In either case, whether you are going to use only one color, or a combination of colors, you can make your life easier if you pick at least one color that is readily available when buying various general "stuff" like buckets, stall guards, lead ropes, haynets etc.

I chose my main color (burgundy) because I love the color and have *always*, for as long as I can remember, been attracted to objects of that color (more than any other color). My other favorites were daffodil yellow and cobalt blue, but I thought I might feel overwhelmed by or become burned-out with such strong colors. Also, stuff in those colors was harder to find! So I went with Burgundy, with Cream/Ivory as the second color. I'll also use white and/or taupe/cappuchino as the second color. I use yellow and cobalt in my barn as special accents, the meaning of which is only apparant to me ;->>!

So my color choice was based almost completely on my *own* preferences, and the availability of "stuff" in that color, not on the color of my horses. And of course, most of the first 5 or so horses that I competed with those colors were chestnuts, so it wasn't a great match ;->>! However, I'm happy with how we looked in photos, and as long as you don't go overboard with your outfit and the horse's accessories, a color "mis-match" won't be really noticable. I've worn red+white on a chestnut and it actually looks wonderful!

For paint horses, I always like a basic or primary color with white. You can hardly go wrong with white plus: navy, royal blue, hunter green, and depending on the horses's color, red or yellow. Wearing teal, purple, burgundy, orange, pink, lime or etc on a paint horse can get a bit "busy"! But then again, it's all about having fun, and if your favorite color(s) clashes a bit with your horse, the only person who *might* care is you ;->.

All of the above is probably not very helpful. I guess my main point is to choose colors that you really like, and then adjust the "balance" for each horse!

Let us know what you decide, and we want to see pictures ;->

Yvonne
    Yvonne Lucas
    Red Moon Farm
    redmoonfarm.com

"Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect." - Jim Wofford

"Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant." - Jim Wofford

Tarheelmd was my inspiration for picking colors.

I chose lavender and black with a tiny bit of purple.
    The picture is fuzzy, but he's a red dun.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lecobb8/...75445988517698
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lecobb8/...42275517907730

Navy, hunter, and burgandy are just too boring!

How about maroon and white. Or look at colleges and maybe model his colors after your favorite college.

I go in Purple and green. I started out as I was a verrrry traditional hunter rider and one of the people I showed for got tired of me looking boring when I was schooling even and started replacing pieces of my equipment with bright colors, eventualy I realized I like it!

Besides, in a bright purple vest my husband says it is easier to spot me LOL

A couple of hints: Just keep in mind, before picking your color combinations, how easy it is to find helmet covers, boots, saddle pads, etc in those color combinations. Everyone can find navy and hunter or burgundy and navy (my colors! I just like them) but it is harder to find cream/turquoise/yellow say. Second thing is you can always buy a new pair of laces (if you have a Tipperary vest) in a contrasting color to make your black vest custom. They only cost $5 and you don't have to pay and wait to get custom colors! Have fun!

I am heading in the direction of navy blue and kelly green. I say "heading" because so far, I just have a navy vest. But I'm just getting started and it's taking a while for the hunter subtlety to wear off.

I agree with the blue and yellow idea - from the winter coat picture. Those colors look cute on him and would probably be easy to find (at least, the royal blue, and accent with yellow. Nice looking!)
    Fun equestrian t-shirts designed by a rider like you:
    http://skreened.com/laughinglion

T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg