The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter breeding show check-list... im not sure what i need

This is what I have so far, not including braiding because i already have that taken care of.
    Soo I was just thinking of the things i need for the show and preperation for the show
    Show Sheen
    hoof polish (clear)
    Shampoo (i figured hes gonna need a bath the morning of the show)
    Conditioner
    brush
    white towels (to whipe him down before the show)
    shipping boots
    his bridle (does he HAVE to have a D snaffle?)
    polo wraps
    baby powder
    Turnout sheet (Does anyone know where to get a lime green turnout sheet? Also what size turn out will my colt need? He's 15 hands, taller in the back, hes not real wide thought)

anything else?

a couple of things not on your list, that I always carry:
    Vicks vapor, as you have a colt!
    A nice bat/crop
    Collector of fine ponies.

In loving memory of Mr.Zipp 3-25-72 / 11-4-08

Show Sheen - don't use this. Not good for coat, doesn't feel right, and is "cheating." Use elbow grease!
    hoof polish (clear) - no, use hoof dressing, pref. Fiebing's
    Shampoo (i figured hes gonna need a bath the morning of the show)
    Conditioner - not in mane or tail. You won't be able to braid it
    brush
    white towels (to whipe him down before the show)
    shipping boots - why? Bandages are better, and shipping w/nothing is even better. You don't want him kicking in the trailer. We NEVER wrap our babies
    his bridle (does he HAVE to have a D snaffle?) - yes
    polo wraps - why?
    baby powder
    Turnout sheet (Does anyone know where to get a lime green turnout sheet? Also what size turn out will my colt need? He's 15 hands, taller in the back, hes not real wide thought) - is he going to be turned out? If not, a stable sheet is fine.

Baby oil
    Nice halter/shank to put over his bridle to go to the ring. That way, any corrections don't get made on his mouth
    Small sponge for wiping muzzle, eyes, ears, dock before baby oil
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Good list, I would add you can put some pine tar in the Fiebings. And don't forget tack cleaning supplies, If you are not hiring a braider, the braiding supplies.

nm
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

a prayer that your yearling doesn't look like a yackling that particular day!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nsm View Post
    Good list, I would add you can put some pine tar in the Fiebings. And don't forget tack cleaning supplies, If you are not hiring a braider, the braiding supplies.

nm
    Why? It is just for going in the ring. Pine tar would make it that much messier...
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.

okay so dont use the reins on the bridle? Use a leather lead with a chain?

No leave the reins on the bridle. What i do is leave them over his neck as they would be if you were riding. Then I twist the reins under his neck and put the throatlatch through it, then use the lead rope to lead him to and fro until you get ready to go in the ring.Then undo it all take the lead off and go in.
    That way if he gets stupid while you are waiting to go in and you have to get after him you won't be hitting him in the mouth.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

okay thanks, that sounds like a really good idea. Also, i'm a bit nervous that he'll be the only one acting up. Hes really laid back, but he hasnt been to a show since his inspection, so Im sure hes going to be excited, and when i trot him, im afraid he might hop around a little bit, I mean, I can handle him fine, im just afraid that all the other horses will b angels and he'll act up. If he gets excited on the trot, will that jeapordize his chances? I mean, theres no way hes going to be perfect at his first show and hes only 12 months..

Usually what I did with my baby was I made sure to get her out of her stall for a good while before her class. At one show I got there REALLY early and just turned her out in one of the rings before anyone was there (and I mean NO ONE was there except the security guard). That way she got all her bucks and farts out.
    I also made a point of taking as much time as possible to let her look around the grounds. If you have to get there 3 hours before your class and just walk him around outside the ring he will be in, do it. If he doesnt want to stand, fine. Walk. Eventually he will chill and stand.
    But it's not fair to expect to pull him out of his stall and be good. He is just a baby after all.
    It's like the people who take their toddler out to dinner and wonder why he won't behave.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

In most cases, as long as you can get a few good trot strides, acting up won't ruin your chances. And it is a pretty sure thing that you wouldn't be the only one with problems.

Pray for 90 degree temps - it levels them ALL out!! LOL!
    Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by jamienavarro View Post
    okay thanks, that sounds like a really good idea. Also, i'm a bit nervous that he'll be the only one acting up. Hes really laid back, but he hasnt been to a show since his inspection, so Im sure hes going to be excited, and when i trot him, im afraid he might hop around a little bit, I mean, I can handle him fine, im just afraid that all the other horses will b angels and he'll act up. If he gets excited on the trot, will that jeapordize his chances? I mean, theres no way hes going to be perfect at his first show and hes only 12 months..
    I'm taking my yearling to his first show in a couple of weeks and I could have written this post word for word myself. Thanks, now I know I'm not alone.....or crazy.
    Member of the Redheads with Redheads clique.
    I have a blog about Sammy: http://www.sammyssaga.blogspot.com/

I wanted to post a picture of my colt at the IHF to make you feel better, but my company won't let me access the site because of "Provocative Attire" Maybe because his name is PJ?

But if you go to my webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/chefjade

click on PJ at the International Hunter Futurity, and view him behaving like yearling boys do, it will make you feel MUCH better! LOL!

I think he was the worst behaved that day, but we still beat a few horses. His typical trot off involves some rearing, bucking and playing before he gets down to business and trots. We work on this at home, but in a new environment he forgets all his newly learned skills. Babies!

A crop is definitely important, as most babies have no concept of personal space.