The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Any other College Sport Horse Auctions or sport horse breeding programs?

I know that Virginia Tech has a Sporthorse breeding program...and they hold an annual Fall auction of horses...but are there others out there? (I've been jealously watching the fabulous COTH site of all the 2008 spring foals that have been posted, and saw where a couple of the mares were from VT, and that jogged my memory. Good job!)

There's a small possibility (fingers crossed, hope, hope, keep wishing and praying nothing else happens and I can use the money for a youngster) I may be looking for a WB/WBX AA dressage prospect in the Fall, and would love to support the educational process if possible. I know of a couple of people who have purchased some lovely horses from VT. Surely there are other college/educational programs/college sales/auctions out there that I'm not aware of? Have a limited budget and like everyone else, want to get the most I can with the money I have...so that will probably mean a weanling or yearling. Just starting to get some thoughts together as to places to start looking.

I'll pretty much be limited to the Mid-Atlantic, South/Southeast area of the country. With today's gas prices, the more youngsters I can look at in one trip the better. Don't want to spend all my money in gas and travel.

So...what other colleges do you know of or recommend?

TIA!

Let the search begin.
    Last edited by mtngirl; Apr. 8, 2008 at 09:54 PM.
    "It's not a mistake if you knew what you were doing was wrong."

Cornell has a wonderful breeding program. http://web.vet.cornell.edu/public/cuerp/index.htm They don't have an auction, but their foals sell pretty quickly, and often are sold before they hit the ground.

Michigan State also has a breeding program and sale on April 27th. I think they have Arabian Sport Horses.

http://www.msuarabians.com/sales/index.html
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

NC State also has a breeding program it sells from, though I don't know if they do auctions. I know they've had QH's and some very nice sport horse type TB's (by Crude Light) for sale in past years. I haven't kept up with what they're producing lately, but think they might be worth a call.

Thanks to the OP for her kind words about our breeding program, and kudos to you for wanting to support and equine teaching program! We sell youngsters in our fall sale, as well as privately throughout the year, and 100% of the funds raised go to support our equine science program and educational opportunities for our undergraduate students.

As mentioned previously, Cornell has also an excellent program through their vet school. Although they are farther north, both UMass and UNH have also certainly produced some very nice warmblood foals.
    Equine Science at Virginia Tech
    Virginia Tech MARE Center
    www.arec.vaes.vt.edu/middleburg

Rutgers (NJ) professor, Dr. Sarah Ralston, goes up to Canada every summer and buys PMU foals (some VERY nice) and auctions them when they're yearlings. They are a mix of draft-crosses and even some warmblood crosses. She posts on this board from time to time, so maybe she'll see this and chime in on whether or not there's a crop for this year.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Default 9th Annual NAERIC Yearling Benefit Auction

Since Erin suggested I could chime in-we are having our 9th annual auction April 27 in New Brunswick, NJ. We have, in addition to my beloved Belgian/QH crosses, some perch/TB cross, two 1/2 Hanoverians and even a German Warmblood (By Mystic Blue Eyes) cross. I think this is the best crop we have had. All proceeds from the auction go right back into the program.

Go to: http://web.mac.com/ru_horses (my student run web site) for details and photos.
    Sarah Ralston

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Miss State has an auction in the fall of the weanlings from their research projects. Foals are mostly QH, TB, and Appendix, but it all kind of depends on what stallions they have around. One year they sold a few Trakehner/TB foals.

They are where I got my two TB babies.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by allanglos View Post
    Michigan State also has a breeding program and sale on April 27th. I think they have Arabian Sport Horses.

http://www.msuarabians.com/sales/index.html
    Nice looking Arabians!

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Nice looking Arabians!
    Nice bloodlines too. I was (am) an Arab enthusiast before I discovered the draft crosses. :-)
    Sarah Ralston

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm just beginning to look for a youngster and scanning these sites will definitely help. If you know of any sport horse auctions in the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast coming up with youngsters...even if they're not college sponsored, let me know. This is new territory for me, but I've been told it's worth investigating.

I also looked at the Michigan State site and agree, some lovely Arabs listed. Noticed they had a couple listed at being over 16h, but they only list the stallion they are by, not the mares they are out of. Are they purebred Arabians or crosses?
    "It's not a mistake if you knew what you were doing was wrong."

Oregon State University in Corvallis, OR has a very good program.

GMG
    Texas

UC Davis does some breeding, although I dont' think they do an WB crosses. CSU Fresno also does, and they've turned out some really INTERESTING horses. I know someone riding a Hackney/Oldenburg cross mare at 3rd level from their program - the mare is pretty darn fancy... Of course, there is a Kellogg Arabian breeding program at Pomona too...