The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default American Dream Team

Okay, with all the discussion on how to pick the team, here's a question about creating a dream team. If you were the current coach for the team and could pick who you thought would help win a medal in Hong Kong this year, who would you have on that team? (You need to pick existing competitive partnerships that actually exist, and they have to be people and horses who can qualify for our actual team.)

What do you think? Who really would help us win? Who has a good track record with their current mount/partner and knows what it takes to get the job done in the pressure cooker of the Olympic games?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Steffan Peters and Courtney King would definitely be on my list. They are both B-E-A-utiful riders and are very kind to their horses. Wait...Steffan isn't riding Floriano so I guess technically I can't include him. Bummer!

Steffan is riding a horse named Prince these days.... Just won the Grand Prix Special in LA this past weekend (over Debbie McDonals on Felix, I think).
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Not the Special - that was on Sunday and he was the only one in the class. Still gorgeous, though!

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    Steffan is riding a horse named Prince these days.... Just won the Grand Prix Special in LA this past weekend (over Debbie McDonals on Felix, I think).
    Are Prince and Felix the horses they are now riding to make the team? I'm sorry, I have not kept up with the new mounts.
    ~Equine Jewelry~
    Used Saddles For Sale
    www.divadesigns.biz

Another question: Who is going out for the team, anyone want to point me to an article or a list?
    ~Equine Jewelry~
    Used Saddles For Sale
    www.divadesigns.biz

It's an interesting question.

Who do you see as real contenders ( horses and riders) for the US team, ?

Lots of new mounts - several coming in before the deadline of ownership rules (or is it a rider deadline? Whatever. lol!). But it seems like it's going to be a mix of old guard on new horses and not quite at the top yet duos.

First pick is Courtney King and Idocus, with Mythilius as a backup. Steffen with Lombardi or Prince. I'd love to see Liz and Olivier although maybe this is too soon...

I'm not sure what has happened to Kristina Harrison with the PRE stallion since they looked like strong contenders. Also haven't seen Lisa with Naomi.

For the future, Guenter's UII will be one to watch. Does anyone know his breeding? Would love to hear what the east coast pairs are looking like from Florida??

Preview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If the Olympics were one year from now, I believe it'd be a whole 'nother ball game. But I don't think Steffen's had Prince long enough to have the partnership required for the Olympics. Same with Lisa Wilcox and Naomi. Debbie and Felix aren't really at the Debbie/Brentina level yet. Guenter's new horse Robin is only showing I-2, not sure if he's confirmed GP, or if he's looking to make a stealth run. lol! Not sure if Tip Top is consistant enough... Princeton was a scratch at last week's "return" show, but there could be a million reasons for that. Rocher worries me for long term soundness. Kristina Harrison seems to choose shows very carefully, so it's hard to tell. There's a CDI at LAEC at the end of the month, I would expect to see everyone I've listed except Naomi and Rocher there. Should be very, very interesting.

And such are the opinions of a low level railbird. lol!

Does George Williams have a GP mount going??

#1 choices- Courtney King and her 2 horses, and I'd love to see Michael Barrisone make the team. Elisabeth and Fizzy but Im not sure if they are ready yet, certainly have the talent. I'd love to see her go but with all the concerns of China, Im sure she wouldnt put Fizzy at risk.....idk though, who knows what will happen??

In writing "Princeton," I am guessing you meant "Kingston"?
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

George Williams has both Marnix and Rocher.

I really think it's going to come down to the final CDI's and the GP championships/selection trials. My guess is those that were at Klaus' in the fall on grants are his top picks.

I'm thinking that Cesar Parra is going to be a US citizen in time. Not sure that any of his post-Horses Unlimited mounts will be ready in time though.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    In writing "Princeton," I am guessing you meant "Kingston"?
    Thank you, yes. I look forward to the day they both retire just so I can stop mixing up the names. lol!

Default Steffen and Leslie both had beautiful rides On Sunday

Steffen had a great ride in the Grand Prix Special in Burbank on Sunday. And Leslie and Tip- Top rode the Grand Prix Beautifully. Both riders scored 70%. Which was better than the rather low scored rides on Saturday!

King-Dye has a good chance for sure.

I do like Steffens new mount Prince. And I agree with people who say McDonalds mount is not ready.

I like Success a lot as well. And I have seen much of Wilcox's mare in anything but one article.

I just hope all horse(s) stay sound.

Succes (one 's' I think) and Lars Petersen have a lovely pi-pa tour, without question--but all their points will go to Denmark, should they go to the Olympics.

<g>

If I were a betting person OR sitting at the COTH wine bar,LOL, I'd idly suggest Idocus for World Cup and Mythilus for Hong Kong.

Kingston is back in full work , was entered for this show, but ended up bypassing it. Only Tip Top came,and he also was far better on Sunday after a test in the dread and spooky Equidome<g>.

Ravel was also entered at the show, got a hoof abscess at the absolutely wrong moment, and will now just have to dive in with the big boys in March.

Prince in the warm-up was absolutely world-class--but he still gets 'green-horse lookie-lou-itis' in the ever spooky Equidome. Nevertheless, his Sunday go was much more polished than the Saturday go, so he is a very fast learner, LOL!
    one oak, lots of canyons

No one is betting on Catherine Haddad?

IF the only horses to be considered for the team are horses that HAVE TO compete in the US-based selection trials...then there is no way to consider Haddad, unless she wants to fly back here for the trials.

I thought that was the point of her open letter...?
    one oak, lots of canyons