The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Default Plastic horse safe hay feeders....

In light of the hay feeder death someone not on COTH has had to deal with I would like to share these hay feeders I ran across in a local horse publication: http://www.horsesafeproducts.com . The "better-than-nothing" round feeder sells for around $325., and the flat panels ("the trans-feeder") for around $49.50 per pair of panels and you can create your own configurations, depending on the amount and size of the panels you buy....

I haven't seen these in person but they're made in Rocky Ridge, MD....

Why didn't I think of this????
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

Here are other kind of plastic horse feeders some sure seem to like:

http://www.duplessishorsefeeder.com/Feeder8USA.html

Someone posted once about the "better than nothing" feeder, which, according to them, was worse than nothing, bent up quickly & did not do its job.

Posted by Evalee:
    Someone posted once about the "better than nothing" feeder, which, according to them, was worse than nothing, bent up quickly & did not do its job.
    I must have been dozing that day, Evalee! I just saw the ad in The Horse of the Delaware Valley and in light of that horrible thread where the horse died thought this may be of some value to someone.... Wonder if the box type feeder works....

Bluey, thanks for that link! I'd seen that ad too somewhere but couldn't find it again to post the website. I had to laugh when I first saw the ad because that hay feeder reminds me of the Playskool "house" the neighbors had sitting out front of their house for their kids during the summer!
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

This is the style of plastic feeder that I have. We've had them about a year and they've held up well.

http://www.barnworld.com/sa/cart/detail.asp?pg={5C95EBDA-2721-4323-BA70-91F8D77471B5}

Hmmmmmmmm..... Seems your feeder is not available at the moment, DB.... It figures!
    http://www.barnworld.com/sa/cart/detail.asp?pg={5C95EBDA-2721-4323-BA70-91F8D77471B5}}

Last edited by Sabovee; Jul. 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm..... Seems your feeder is not available at the moment, DB.... It figures!
    http://www.barnworld.com/sa/cart/detail.asp?pg={5C95EBDA-2721-4323-BA70-91F8D77471B5}}
    Well Dang! I did not notice that.

I also like the Better than nothing feeders and would consider buying those also.

Default Plastic

Those feeders are cool.

I have a question for you all in regard to stall feeders. Can't we just use a plyable plastic trash can to feed hay? Put a few round eye bolts into the wall and attach a plastic big trash can Any downside to this:? can't see how the horse could get injured if it is a flexible plastic trash can????? Any comments?

this one looks like a great design, but some spooky horses would rather starve than put their heads inside a dark place like that, plus they'd be nervous that they can't scan their surroundings visually as they eat

http://www.horsesafeproducts.com/groundfeeder.htm

I love the looks of this one, and making a hay corner feeder in a stall is an awesome idea, far safer and healthier than a hay rack.

Yeah, Fiat Lux--I agree that the portals in the Duplessis feeder are both too narrow and too numerous.... I'd like to see half as many portals and wider so that the horses can see better what's going on around them. During the day I don't think those feeders would be that dark since they are made of a light colored plastic but at night there could be some problems....I just think the Duplessis feeder puts horses faces too close to one another and that one horse may go after another for intruding into its space--you know how some horses can be (territorial)! Otherwise I think it's a great idea....

DressageOPhobia asks:
    Can't we just use a plyable plastic trash can to feed hay?
    Well, in theory that sounds good, but in practice--I think the plastic trash can may be too deep and too narrow for a horse to get at all the hay....

Couldn't you just use one of these:
    http://www.thecharactertoyshop.com/m...icdoorbell.jpg

...kidding, but that's what that plastic hay feeder with the windows reminded me of....

I have this one

http://www.tartergate.com/switch.php...site=ew&emp=ew

I like it but my horses love to toss the hay out of it and make a big mess. It looks like they would be able to do the same thing with the horse-safe ones. I'm not sure about the "house" one though. I want one with some kind of lip to make the hay harder to toss.

I have 3 Duplessis feeders.
    One for 6 mares and 2 for a dozen thugs(crossbred geldings and a couple of TB's)
    No one goes hungry and they work for the big squares as well.
    Great to keep the hay dry from snow or rain.
    Safest and best value I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Here are other kind of plastic horse feeders some sure seem to like:

Saw this one at the horse expo, looks good, but we don't have a front end loader or tractor to lift it up over the round bale.....

I like all of those better then mine....sigh....
    And, I paid $420 for mine! Black plastic, sits on the ground, bolts together. I will say, the any of these feeders pay for themselves very quickly. I tried sitting a round bale out in a back field for my invalids and I had forgotten how quickly they demolish the bale when theres no feeder.

On a side note, my mom had 2 kids' playhouses in the field beside her barn - and 2 goats that live in them!! Its actually very cute, big old nanny goats hanging out in their play houses!

I was going to get a regular round bale feeder ring until I read about all the accidents...

So I come home from work a few days ago, and my hubby has built a box for the hay! Its around 3.5' tall and big enough for the big round bales to fit into. He put a pallet on the ground, rolled the bale onto it, flipped it onto the side, and took off the netting. Right now its a prototype as he called it but eventually once he figures out his specs hes going to make one side a big gate/door and when we get a new bale, back the truck up to the opening, roll it out, and shut the gate.

It has def cut down on the waste though the horses still pull a ton of it over the edges, so he goes out and scoops it back into the box. I suggested making it a little bigger so theres more room on the sides so he can easily put the hay back in.

Ill have to get a pic.. not too bad of an idea.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

MM12, I just flip it over on it's side place the bale and flip it back up by hand.
    works like a charm.
    J.

Hmmmm I got a plastic round bale feeder a few years ago from AGProducts. It seemed ridiculous to me to have to pay $400 dollars for a round bale feeder but............it came with a lifetime guarantee and a metal one couldnt be found in the summer.

So, I bought it. It isnt the prettiest thing in the world, it bolts together but I can tell you this. Horse go in it, they sit on it, they kick it, they trop all over it and still, they can do it no harm. It doesnt rot, it doesnt rust and I wish the heck I had a bunch of them. I go through metal ones every single year because after one year, they are rusty and scary. Even the aluminum ones only give me a seasons use.

So again, it may not be too pretty but I know the kids are perfectly safe, even if they crawl into it. And it fits any size horse or pony.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

I have and like the plastic bolt together ones. However this year I seem to have enough small bales to be able to feed in the field, and they waste much less and the quality is high and i think i actually am saving $. Go figure!