The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Coming to Aiken? Bring hay if you can

Hay is getting pricey here so if you're coming to Aiken to play with your horses bring as much hay as you can.
    Last few times I've gone to get a load it's been mostly spoken for.
    Don't want to panic people, it is available but a small bale of Orchard/Alf is running $11.60 + tax, a lot more than last year and coastal is horrible, if you can find it.
    If you bring extra, no problem selling it here!

Ditto!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

We're making two trips when we come in a week+ just so we can bring a couple weeks worth of hay. It's pricey up here, but the $10+ a bale the boss saw while he was down in November was not at all appealing. I'm sure we'll end up buying some, but our clients will be happy if we don't have to buy 8 weeks worth of it at those prices!

Yipes. I have the most gorrrrrrgeous home grown 2nd crop in my barn here in Maine. I'm full to the rafters but how am I going to get 2 months' worth of the stuff to Aiken in my 2 horse GN??!!
    How are you set for shavings? If I can leave them behind I can fit more hay! Thanks for the warning.

Default Pardon the interruption

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    Yipes. I have the most gorrrrrrgeous home grown 2nd crop in my barn here in Maine. I'm full to the rafters but how am I going to get 2 months' worth of the stuff to Aiken in my 2 horse GN??!!
    How are you set for shavings? If I can leave them behind I can fit more hay! Thanks for the warning.
    RBP, you're going to Aiken for 2 months. . .you lucky dog!! (Say hi to Susie for me)

Back to the thread.

This is true to the max all over the south - I am happily paying $10.00/bale for nice timothy and hope to be able to keep getting it through March (its already parceled out or I'd help y'all get some hay). RBP, get your hay sources dedicated BEFORE you leave Maine - even if you have the money to buy hay, it's not available.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

On the other hand RBP, if you'd like to leave your horses at home along with the shavings and just drop off the hay here on your way to Aiken. . . !

I have about 3 tons left from my big buy in November and I dread the day when I have to go look for more. . .

Leave the shavings at home, no problem getting them here, but if you've got nice hay bring as much as you can. At least that'll give you time to get your name on the "hay" list
    Is someone else driving who can bring a truck load? or empty trailer load? You could always get a new horse from the Event horse sale so you don't drive an empty trailer home!

Again, don't want to panic people, you can buy it, but not always the best hay and pricey.
    Everything else is plentiful - feed, shavings. Call ahead to get your shavings delivered for when you arrive so you don't have to bring them.

Default ship a load of hay and make $$$

If anyone does have some nice hay and is able to bring/send a tractor trailer load, it'd sell in a "new york minute"!

Quote Originally Posted by aiken4horses View Post
    If anyone does have some nice hay and is able to bring/send a tractor trailer load, it'd sell in a "new york minute"!
    By the time you buy the hay up north and then pay for shipping, not a whole lot of profit left over. Even at $10/bale.

Y'all are lucky! Out here in California our hay is nearing $20/bale. Does anyone want to drive out west and sell me some for $10? Anyone????

I hazard a guess that your CA bales are nearly twice as big as ours, so don't get all jealous!

I know someone who may be coming down with a load next week (between 200 and 300 bales...I'm not sure how much her trailer holds). She's got enough hay there for her own, but has to make the drive so can bring some down with her for someone else when she comes.

PM me if you're intersted..
    -Jessica

In south Florida, I heard of standard size (50 lbs +-) bales of mixed timothy and alfalfa going for $22 at the feed store. Granted, those are "single bale" prices, but enough for me to convince my daughter to leave her mare home (she's working at Gulfstream)...

We USED to live in CA - and paid $22 for a bale of Tim/Orch!!! Yikes. The south is definitely cheaper but I've watched our prices climb since the summer.
    Hopefully, we'll have enough hay storage next year to get a tractor trailer load - then we can sell it back to the Snowbirds when they come

Default South Florida!

I'm in South Florida and I pay $33.50 a bale (Timothy)
    I'm about to head up to you guys and get a trailer load!!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWhiteLie View Post
    I'm in South Florida and I pay $33.50 a bale (Timothy)
    I'm about to head up to you guys and get a trailer load!!
    OMG !!!! Mr. RFI MUST read this!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

[QUOTE=LittleWhiteLie;2917898]I'm in South Florida and I pay $33.50 a bale (Timothy)QUOTE]

help...choking.. on dinner....!

Yikes. I think our current plan is to load all tack/travel stuff in the middle seats of the car and hay in the trunk and to the top of the tack room in the trailer. It's amazing how much 2 thoroughbreds eat in 10 days.
    Team Awesome fo sho!

Hay in Washington is $14+ for a bale of orchard grass! In CA we're looking at prices upwards of $23 a bale! Sadly, at the boarding facilities in CA, you have to supplement the 1-2 flakes your horses get at their 2 feedings. Even grain prices are lower on the East coast and midwest!
    Keep your feet on the ground, but always look to the stars!