The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help Me Pick A Stallion

My mare is still in Europe and before shipping her back I want to breed her. She is a 5 year old maiden Trakehner, who was reserve champion at her inspection and will take her MPT this spring. Based on bloodlines, conformation and movement a Trakehner expert drew up a list of suitable "husbands" for her. I eliminated from the list any stallion that is available in the US, via frozen and some for other reasons. Given her bloodlines she could produce a hunter/jumper or dressage prospect equally well.
    What I am aiming for is a foal that would be very sellable, i.e. I want a stallion that has great name recognition, well known for amateur friendly rideability and, of course performance record both for him and offspring.
    Please vote !

vote on what?

your poll is missing
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Elfe is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

I was trying to attach a poll when the whole thing disappeared and now I can't find the poll option !!!!! Ugh !!!!
    Anyway:
    here is a list of candidates:
    Amatcho
    Artistic Rock
    Biotop
    Connery
    Imperio
    Kasparow
    Manrico
    Solero
    Van Deyk

If anyone can tell me how to make the poll option reappear, please let me know!
    Thanks in advance!

And the bloodlines of your mare are ? And what does she needs to have improved ? Her inspection scores ?
    Just off the list, Kasparow has an approved son in the U.S., Van Dyke has two approved sons in the U.S, and Manrico only breeds live cover (but I do love him). You need to be concerned about CEMI testing when the mare was bred live cover.
    Dr. Baird's law:
    In a voluntary organization, the amount of criticism one receives is directly proportional to the amount of work done and it emanates from those who do the very least.

Original Poster

I did not want to post the bloodlines of the mare because what I was really looking for is an opinion on popularity of these stallions, all of which complement the mare both in terms of bloodlines and conformation. FWIW, her inspection scores are:8,8,7/9,8.5,8/8.5.
    Her close relatives are: Sevillano XX, Kennedy, Caprimond on sire side and Hohenstein, Guter Stern, Mozart on dam side.
    Thanks.

Original Poster

And it's the mare family of Vera.

Add to Shawnda's post, Biotop has a close relation in the US in Oskar, but I personally like what he throws (you get the movement for sure and he also produces jumping ability).

I was impressed with the two Oliver Twist sons at Neumunster this year - was he on the orig list?? (my personal favorite was the OT son o/o the Biotop mare).
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Just curious - do you think using a stallion that is not available in NA will make the foal more valuable for sale?

Its really tough to help you narrow down the list without seeing a conformatin photo of your mare.
    Also anything with Hohenstein in it normally does not cross well with Biotop. It looks good on paper, but the end result is often a very large horse, that has lost type.
    Your list includes stallions that are rather different in type and conformation.
    I personally like stallions that are often "overlooked" and that would include Manrico, and Amatcho, but as I said before, Manrico only breeds live cover, and with CEMI testing, you may not wish to risk that.
    Dr. Baird's law:
    In a voluntary organization, the amount of criticism one receives is directly proportional to the amount of work done and it emanates from those who do the very least.

"Overlooked" and "not available" are not necessarily the same thing.

That said, I agree with Shawnda N that the stallions you are looking at are different and produce differently so its difficult to say that all of them would produce what you are looking for. Are you breeding for performance, for breeding, for sale? Since you do not see much of those stallions in the breeding here in the U.S., it can be hard to personally see what they produce.

Good luck in your decision!

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Just curious - do you think using a stallion that is not available in NA will make the foal more valuable for sale?

That said, I agree with Shawnda N that the stallions you are looking at are different and produce differently so its difficult to say that all of them would produce what you are looking for. Are you breeding for performance, for breeding, for sale? Since you do not see much of those stallions in the breeding here in the U.S., it can be hard to personally see what they produce.
    You could be in a catch22 regarding saleability - if the stallion is lesser known in the US and no one knows what he produces. And no breeder can recommend a potential match without any study of types and produce.

Original Poster

Not necessarily, that would depend on the qualities of the individual offspring. Just trying to introduce new blood.

Yes, I am breeding for resale and was basically just trying to determine which of these stallions would be known and/or popular in the U.S.. Sort of a mini market research.

I am sure that most Trakehner breeders are probably familiar with the above mentioned stallions, just wondering if people outside the breed ever heard of them.
    My other option would be to go outside the breed and cross with a Dutch Warmblood or an Oldenburg, since more people seem to be more familiar with them.

Thanks for all the input.

You may wish to add Buddenbrock to your list. He is not yet available in North America, and yet many Trakehner and Hanoverian breeders are after his babies.
    Dr. Baird's law:

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

With her scores and performance at her Inspection, I would think you'd want to stay in-breed.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Well I love Connery. I have his half sister and her daughter and 2 granddaughters here so know the family well. I was very impressed with his colt at the licensing this year - editorial I think he has been named now, and Imperio is anothe rgreat example of what he produces. If you mare will work well with his elegance and refinement I'd use him
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour