The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sight impaired coming two year old needs home.

I have a coming two year (2/19/06) swedish warmblood cross gelding by my late stallion Ricky Martin.....he was born with cataracts and could have a perfectly normal chance of eye sight if he had the new surgery....which is very expensive. Any way to make a long story short....I have to find another home for him. He has been labled as "non-working" by my board members and they have ruled that he must go. He has a somewhat normal life....goes outside daily, with other horses.....he sees the fencing, he runs and plays like a normal guy....you would never know he can't really see until you look at his eyes super close. If any one out there could open their home to him I would be forever in your debt. He is free...obviously....but I know this is the "give-a-way" thread and I wanted to make that clear.

PS This guy is beautiful. Bright chesnut with lots of white. Perfect mover, athletic and a super personality. He would make a super dressage or hunter if he had the surgery....

Thanks

If you don't mind sharing what his specific condition is, and what you have found out about treatment so far (and the costs), that might help potential adopters.

He was born with cataracts....has had a full exam done at UGA and was deemed a canadate for the new surgery where they disolve the cataract and draw it out....the outlook was amazing...but the cost of the surgery was between $6000 and $10,000 and they can only do one eye at a time so he would have to return for additional surgery. They said with the surgery he could have a completly normal life including riding....jumping...whatever....All his records will be made available.

Can you post pics of this youngster? I may be able to work something out with you? Check your PMs.
    FutureWin Farm
    "You are never given a dream without also being given the power to make it true."

Bumping this up in hopes that someone will take this guy.....he is such a lovely animal with the most loving soul.

Can you PT me pics of him. As our PT I might be able to take him.
    FutureWin Farm
    "You are never given a dream without also being given the power to make it true."

I have a few pics of the gelding.....if you would e-mail me at westwindfarm1@aol.com I will be happy to forward them to any of you.

THANKS!!!!!!

I still need a home for this guy....I have pictures to e-mail if anyone is interested.

Nicole

I'm not in a position to take on another horse, but if I were I would snap this guy up. Blind does not mean a horse cannot have a wonderful, useful life. Anyone hear of Valiant, the event prospect who went blind and was trained in dressage after he went blind? Blind horses can do anything sighted horses can do, except jump. This boy's potential is not nearly as limited as many think.
    Pam

LiveYourDream Guest

Just wanted to wish you as much luck as possible in finding a home for this baby. I cannot afford a horse let alone one that requires surgery. I also wanted to inquire if Ricky Martin was ever on tv?? If he was the horse I saw a few years ago, I wanted to let everyone know he is an amazing looking animal, and this horse should have great potential.

Default .

Email me pics please dreamygrril @ yahoo . com
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Please check your PMs. I emailed you too!!!!
    FutureWin Farm

I keep seeing this adding and wishing there was someway I could take this boy. He sounds lovely but I just don't have the money to keep 2 right now and pay for college. But I did want to add that one of my good friends has a nearly 2 yo filly with the same condition and she is doing quite well without the surgery. As she is getting older her eyesight is getting a little better and even with the cararacts. So if someone is thinking of geting this horse, they can live and even thrive with the cataracts. You don't know how much I wish I had the money right now to bring this boy home with me but good luck finding him a great home

I have spoken to Nicole and we have decided that James Dean will come live with me. He will be arriving to me tomorrow in Versailles KY in the afternoon. He will have a good life and I will get the surgery done for his eyes!! Nicole's computer has been down so that is why she has not been able to get online. Hopefully she will be back soon!!!
    FutureWin Farm

Best of luck!!!

Futurewin, I am so happy for you and James Dean. He sounds like a sweetheart. Keep us posted on him. I suspect there are a few of us who fell for him.
    Pam

Awesome!!!

Working from a friends computer!

Thanks so much for helping me find a home for this guy.....and a huge thank you to "Futurewin" for giving him a home.

Nicole

Yay!!! Congrats Futurewin and James Dean!!