The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Home found! Big orange and white kitty...

This friendly tomcat has been hanging around my alley for a while, and I went ahead and took him in to get fixed, thinking I'd just let him back outside until I could find him a home. (At least he wouldn't be making any babies in the meantime!) Well, he has other ideas... having been inside for a whole 12 hours, he has decided he wants BACK IN, dammit! He spent all night camped out at my back door, and was still there when I got up this AM, meowing insistently!

He is a big orange and white fella, with a mostly white face and white ears -- very cute! (I'll try to get pictures later.) He's probably a couple of years old. He seems like he could be an indoor or barn kitty (he did use the litter box when I had him locked in my office recovering from being neutered). He really, REALLY likes attention -- I sat on my back steps with him for a while this AM, and he curled up and took a nap in my lap.

Now, here's the bad news -- he is FIV+. FIV, or "feline AIDS," is often found in stray tomcats because it's primarily transmitted by deep bite wounds, and of course the toms fight with each other over territory. FIV is NOT transmitted by casual contact with other cats -- only through bite wounds. Lots of FIV+ cats live with other kitties with no trouble. Cats with FIV can live long, healthy lives as well -- I know two people with FIV+ cats who have lived happily in a group of other cats for years with no issues. FIV poses no risk whatsoever to humans.

He obviously doesn't want to be a stray cat anymore, and now I feel bad for giving him a taste of the good life and then booting him back outside. At least he's getting fed and knows he can hang out in my nice dry garage, though.

Anyway, obviously this guy is a "special needs" case and is going to be hard to find a home for. But if anyone wants to take a chance on him, I think he'd reeeeeaaaally be appreciative. Hell, even if someone just wanted to foster him for a while, that'd be a big help.

Oh, I've been calling him Sunny. I'll post pictures later.
    Last edited by Erin; Nov. 12, 2007 at 11:17 AM.

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

OK, can I just say it is REALLY hard to take good pictures of a cat who comes running whenever he sees you and tries to climb into your lap? And did I mention he was talkative? Hence all the mid-meow shots...

Anyway, these pictures don't quite do his cute self justice, but give you an idea, at least.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1137.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	18558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1150.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	18559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1153.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	18560  

OMG, he is adorable. I have to have a little talk with my hubby!

Original Poster

SMTG, did you get my PM about your email notifications bouncing? I think that was you, anyway...

He's sitting on my lap in my office right now. I figured I'd bring him in for a while to give him some attention. He has not left my "backyard" (which is a tiny city rowhouse backyard -- it's mostly a sidewalk and my garage) since Monday. I put a big crate in the garage for him with some old towels, and he sleeps in there... when he's not sitting outside the back door peering in pitifully, or meowing at the top of his lungs to try to get me to come back outside and visit with him. He is also adept at the sneaky cat maneuver of planting himself in front of you wherever you try to walk... I guess trying to trip you so he can jump in your lap?

He's so darn sweet and wants so much to be a housecat. Unfortunately one of my cats is kind of aggressive and I'm worried that they'd fight, especially with Sunny only having been not-a-tomcat for 3 days now. He still has a bit of tomcat 'tude going.

But he's really a funny little guy, and I think anyone who took a chance on him would be repaid many times over!

And I *finally* got a nice picture of him!

Name:	IMG_1162.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	18575  

Aw - he's very cute!

Just to add to the FIV+ issue - I've had two in my home (with other cats - and no transmission problems) and it's really no big deal. I mention it when I'm at the vets to remind them but otherwise it generally causes no issues - the cats are just carriers. The way I understand it is that cats who get it and are sick from it don't last long. The rest just live with it until they die from some other cause (my last one lived to be 14 and sucumbed to unrelated kidney problems ).

Sweet faced boy! I wish I knew someone up there who could take him!
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Original Poster

Giving this a little bump.

Seven, thanks for the first-hand experience with the FIV+ guys. I rehomed one (a formerly-feral tom now turned snuggly couch potato ) but have never owned one myself. It's always been my impression that it wasn't really a big deal, though.

Mr. Sunshine has been allowed in the house for a couple of short visits when the other cats aren't around. He promptly climbs in my lap and goes to sleep.

Original Poster

Another bump for the Monday crowd. This guy really needs to find a home!

I forgot to mention earlier that he's had his basic shots, been dewormed and Frontlined. And of course if someone adopted him and it didn't work out, I'd be happy to take him back and place him again.

Another bump.

That has to be the coolest looking kitty, and what a temperament.

He totally sounds like the kind of cat that makes people who "don't like cats" into cat people.

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

I'll ask the hubby ... we're primarily dog people, but iffn he's a "dog-cat" (you know the kind I mean), I might be able to swing it. He's a darn cool looking and sounding dude! And we don't have any cats, so the FIV wouldn't be an issue. I wonder how much it would be to ship him to California, or would that be too much stress on him, given his FIV?

Our old and feeble Jack Russell was a champion cat chaser in his day, but at 15, he's deaf, mostly blind and has congestive heart failure (yes, a three-strikes dog!), so I'm thinking he might not even notice a cat.
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Original Poster

While I would love to gift Beezer with an authentic East Coast alley cat, it probably would make more sense to find Mr. Kitty a new home on THIS side of the continent. (Although if I get desperate... )

I've been gradually letting Sunny spend more time inside, since apparently my aggressive cat only likes to pick on little girls like Penny and is leaving Sunny alone.

He's been perfect about the litterbox, and is pretty good with the other cats, so I think he'd do fine in a home with other cats, with gradual introductions, of course. He's not crazy about my dog, however, so he'd probably be best in a dog-free home. And, actually, Beezer really hit it on the head... he practically IS a dog. He follows me from room to room most of the day and just wants to be wherever the people are -- he's always there at the door watching me drive off when I leave the house, and is the first one at the door to great me when I get home. He is REALLY affectionate and loves to sit in your lap or be held. He loves catnip toys, play mice, and pingpong balls.

He's really just a big ol' softie, and positively OOZES character. He'd be great company for someone who wants the companionship of a dog, but doesn't want to have to walk one!

Original Poster

Another bump for Sunny.

Since he's getting along well with the other cats, I've let him "move in." He spends his days following me from room to room, "helping" with whatever I'm doing or just curling up next to me on the couch or in my lap. He'd be great company for a young single person or an older person living alone.

Although he is still not thrilled about my dog, he is getting a little more tolerant. He is not shy -- a friend stopped by the other night and he marched right up to her, said hello, and then flopped down on her feet! He gets along well with other cats (with the usual adjustment period) and is actually becoming friends with Penny, the other foster cat I have right now. They could be adopted together, if anyone wanted an instant kitty family!

This guy is one of those cats who has personality to spare. If someone is interested but is unsure about the FIV, I'd foot the bill for him to go in for an exam with *your* vet so you could get an independent opinion. I'd just really like for him to find a home where he can get all the attention he so obviously craves.

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	18670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	18671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	18672  

I want him really bad but I'm maxed on the number of animals I'm allowed in my apartment. that's the way life goes I guess...
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Another bump for Sunny.

They could be adopted together, if anyone wanted an instant kitty family!
    I'm looking for an instant kitty family but can't believe how hard it is to find free kitties. I would be glad to take both of them if they can find a ride to Massachusetts.

Original Poster

Actually, Sunny and Penny went together to a wonderful new home with another COTHer last weekend, and it looks like everyone is settling in and it's working out great. Yay!

I still have the little Halloween kitty, but he gets really nervous in the carrier, so I'm not sure he'd be a good candidate for a long road trip. But if I have trouble placing him locally, I'll let you know.

Have you tried your local Craigslist? There always seem to be lots of free kitties on there.

Erin, I just wanted to say bless you for all you do for these kitties. I am at my max right now with 5 but it's so hard when I read your posts.

Have you ever read Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul? Wonderful book and if you get a chance you should pick up a copy.

COOOOOOOOOOOOL Sunny and Penny have a new home!!! Thank you, Erin, for all you do for the animals. You also, Applesauce. The homeless critters need all the help they can get!!!!!!!!

Erin is my hero!

And she has THE BEST CATS! Penny and Sunny moved in about a week and a half ago and I am completely in love! Their personalities couldn't be more different, but they just adore each other. They have an odd way of showing it.. one will find a good hiding spot, watch the other happily fall asleep and then come flying out of said hiding spot and launch directly on top of the sleeper, inviting a face batting battle.

Unfortunately their internal alarms go off at 2 am, whereas mine is snoozed til 730 am.. but I'm willing to sacrifice a few hours of good sleep for having two new buddies in the house! Oh, and yes, they are both just like dogs - their favorite toy is a fuzzy tennis ball

Awwww, congrats on giving them a great new home! Sounds like they get the night crazies! My cats do that and get hungry, and then bang on my cabinet doors to give me the hint that they need more food! My friend Jen has an Erin Kitty and she is wonderful she is coming out of her shell daily and has the best personality!