PDA

View Full Version : Most exciting young dressage stallion in US? Or broodmare producer?

Spectrum
May. 27, 2011, 02:34 PM
Who do you think is the most exciting "up and coming" dressage stallion you've seen lately, who is standing in the US?

And by exciting, I mean who has the most amazingly proven pedigree you've seen, combined with amazing temperament, conformation and movement? Yet this stallion has not yet hit the big time?

Or, if you wanted to get the absolute best broodmare replacement from your older, favorite mare who is soon to retire, who would you breed to? Who are the best broodmare producers out there right now?

I have a premium Oldenburg mare (Diamont x premium TB) that has had two really fantastic babies (one filly, one colt). She's starting to get up there and I'm not riding her as much due to family/time etc. Last night my husband said the magic words, "Well if you're not going to ride her much, you really should breed her again."

Ideas?

not again
May. 27, 2011, 02:39 PM
Emily Wagner's Wake Up is amazing.

Tasker
May. 27, 2011, 02:41 PM
Emily Wagner's Wake Up (http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2011/05/23/wagner-picture-first-2011-us-young-horse-selection-trial-verden)hands down. The DD article is HERE (http://www.dressagedaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6226:emily-wagner-and-wake-up-qualify-for-the-fei-world-young-horse-dressage-championships-at-the-2011-markelusef-young-horse-central-selection-trials&catid=410:markelusef-young-horse-dressage-program-2011) with a lot of photos. Mary was going to upload the test video this week.

ETA: not again and I like this guy a lot. (obviously)

YankeeLawyer
May. 27, 2011, 02:44 PM
I think one would have to consider, among others:

Benidetto - great bloodlines, great athlete, super temperament and rideability, and excellent producer

Olivier - the product of many years of very careful and knowledgeable breeding and has a very interesting and proven pedigree. He is a proven competitor himself and has some nice offspring on the ground.

Rousseau - great pedigree, super athlete, excellent producer.

Don Principe - timeless pedigree, super performance and producer

Royal Prince - excellent pedigree, performance, and producer

YankeeLawyer
May. 27, 2011, 02:45 PM
Emily Wagner's Wake Up (http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2011/05/23/wagner-picture-first-2011-us-young-horse-selection-trial-verden)hands down.

I know he is young but does he have any youngsters on the ground? Also, his pedigree offers a lot of options but can you give an idea of what kind of mare he would do best with?

Tasker
May. 27, 2011, 02:50 PM
He's got 2 crops on the ground that I know of...I'm trying to work a way to go shoot their AWR inspection this year so then there would be photos of his offspring to share with everyone.

Mom's seen him several times (competing & at his licensing - he got a 9something and is a stunner in person). She might have a better idea of the mare type for him. :)

He's by Wagnis (Weltmeyer/Lungau) and then Montreal Maiden is a Canadian Warmblood by Macho (by Matcho AA) and I can't remember her damline - I'll email the AWR office and ask if they can send me his full pedigree and get back to you guys with a link to Paardenfokken.

Tasker
May. 27, 2011, 02:52 PM
Whoops - never mind - here's the Sporthorse Database link (http://sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10630623). :)

Hillside H Ranch
May. 27, 2011, 03:05 PM
I know he is young but does he have any youngsters on the ground? Also, his pedigree offers a lot of options but can you give an idea of what kind of mare he would do best with?

If someone is interested in WakeUp, his owner is very honest and straightforward to deal with in regards to discussing mares that will suit him. I have a 3 year old in training with Jana, and I've seen WakeUp on his home turf quite a few times. Super, super nice boy (I breed for jumpers, not dressage, so I'm not speaking to his ability, only personality). Several of the local breeders here have had foals by him and I think Jana has some of his babies, as well. There is a pic of one of his foals here : http://www.highpointfarm.biz/horses/horses_for_sale.html (scroll down). It is the only one I've seen in person, but she was very nice. Not sure where she is now.

Spectrum
May. 27, 2011, 03:24 PM
It's too bad there doesn't seem to be a breeding advertising page with more information on WakeUp. I bet if they put one up and put out some word of mouth, they could pay for their trip to Europe with breeders who are willing to book a breeding to him.

Spectrum.

Tasker
May. 27, 2011, 03:26 PM
My suggestion would be to contact Emily through her blog. :)

Hillside H Ranch
May. 27, 2011, 03:46 PM
It's too bad there doesn't seem to be a breeding advertising page with more information on WakeUp. I bet if they put one up and put out some word of mouth, they could pay for their trip to Europe with breeders who are willing to book a breeding to him.

Spectrum.

I'm not sure about Emily, but Jana doesn't do email; not even sure if she has internet at her farm...
But as someone else mentioned Emily has a blog, so perhaps that is the avenue to pursue.

DownYonder
May. 27, 2011, 03:54 PM
Amazing movement, amazing conformation, amazing temperament, amazingly proven pedigree?

Many mentioned here have some combination of the above, but I can’t think of one that I would categorize as “amazing” in all four categories.

I think Sir Gregory is pretty cool, but he is in Canada (not the U.S.) he has just started breeding, and I’m not sure what is going on with his dressage career – I heard he might do some hunter stuff this year.

Walnut Farm
May. 27, 2011, 05:40 PM
Well down under you haven't seen Benidetto or offspring ;) lol

His graddam even did very well at GP

And showing and winning at 4th this year

Ok yes, his first offspring won't be under saddle for another 6 months
So we must wait in that part

Crosiadore Farm
May. 27, 2011, 06:22 PM
"Amazing movement, amazing conformation, amazing temperament, amazingly proven pedigree?"

Wow, that is a tall order! I can not think of even one stallion anywhere that fulfills that description (-:

But, if you go strictly with exciting, and up and coming, then maybe there are a few to name.....but up and coming and proven can not co-exist. And this is totally my own taste and has nothing to do with the quality of any other talented young stallion in the US.

Of the ones I have seen and would breed to and would like to have broodmares in my breeding program:

Sir Gregory not proven, but could be very interesting as a brood mare sire. Saw him as a three year old and he made me look twice. Lovely stallion, lovely pedigree.

Solos Lantinus. Not up and coming but proven and in the US. And two of my favorite bloodline combinations....Landadel and Argentinus.

Edgewood
May. 27, 2011, 06:58 PM
Sir Gregory not proven, but could be very interesting as a brood mare sire. Saw him as a three year old and he made me look twice. Lovely stallion, lovely pedigree.

Solos Lantinus. Not up and coming but proven and in the US. And two of my favorite bloodline combinations....Landadel and Argentinus.

Very good post Crosiadore. I also really like Sir Gregory as a stallion, and I have to say, I have a 2011 foal that is really stunning in type and also seems to have 3 excellent gaits.

I really am interested in Solos Lantinus, he was very well proven in Denmark.

I also have seen some excellent Benidetto offspring (another young stallion).

TKR
May. 27, 2011, 07:43 PM
Where is Solos Lantinus standing? He's always been of interest to me. TIA

Have any of the Hano or GOV breeders used Oskar II on their mares? I know there has been alot of success with other TK stallions on Hano or Oldenburg mares and I just wonder if he has been thought of or used. He is such a spectacular stallion with an excellent performance record. He also brings in some TK bloodlines that are a little different than some of the German TK lines. Might be interesting! He started at stud late, but I'd sure love to see him used more. I have a filly by him that I'm really impressed with -- just getting her started. Just a thought....
PennyG

xsalute
May. 27, 2011, 07:53 PM
My horse is in training with Jana (Wakeup)too. I asked her before she went to Lamplight how old the babies were. I think she said 2 yo. none broke yet. She has babies at the barn by him, so you get to see the babies. I watched Emily ride him and WoW he is truly amazing. Very active, beautiful and supple. Even more impressive in person. The family is a delight to deal with.

NJRider
May. 27, 2011, 07:53 PM
I'm not sure about Emily, but Jana doesn't do email; not even sure if she has internet at her farm...

I would swear Jana still has a rotary phone! ha ha. I have offered to make a web site for them but they really have no interest. My friend has a Wake Up foal born last month out of a Dutch mare, she is very happy with him. I own a half-brother to Wake Up and cannot say enough about their temperaments and gaits.

J-Lu
May. 28, 2011, 12:01 AM
Exciting up and coming stallion? I've rolled the dice with Qredit. He has a great pedigree, appears to be an even-keeled, uber pleasant guy who takes things in stride, and who can be fired up when necessary and quiet in the mean time. Hopefully I'll let you know what his foals can do...

acottongim
May. 28, 2011, 08:20 AM
Have any of the Hano or GOV breeders used Oskar II on their mares? I know there has been alot of success with other TK stallions on Hano or Oldenburg mares and I just wonder if he has been thought of or used. He is such a spectacular stallion with an excellent performance record. He also brings in some TK bloodlines that are a little different than some of the German TK lines. Might be interesting! He started at stud late, but I'd sure love to see him used more. I have a filly by him that I'm really impressed with -- just getting her started. Just a thought....
PennyG

Yes, I know that Joe has bred many Hanno and Dutch mares (I think he has more outside mares booked this year than he does to TK mares actually).

DownYonder
May. 28, 2011, 08:21 AM
Well down under you haven't seen Benidetto or offspring ;) lol

His graddam even did very well at GP

And showing and winning at 4th this year

Ok yes, his first offspring won't be under saddle for another 6 months
So we must wait in that part

True - I haven't seen him yet, or any offspring. But I agree he is "one to watch". ;)

DownYonder
May. 28, 2011, 08:26 AM

Oh, yes - good suggestion, although as you said - not "up and coming".

Penny, he is in Louisiana at Oak Hill Ranch. They still have him listed with the "Solos" prefix.
http://www.oakhillranch.com/stallions_solos-landtinus.php

Tasker
May. 28, 2011, 08:28 AM
For proven stallions - I'd take a long hard look at Reggazoni depending on what your mare 'needs' to have from a stallion.

YankeeLawyer
May. 28, 2011, 08:34 AM
True - I haven't seen him yet, or any offspring. But I agree he is "one to watch". ;)

He is a handsome boy, but for me it is his offspring that really show how special he is. I have seen more than a dozen in person here and in Germany and they are very consistent - typey, very elastic movers with kind temperaments. All were very good movers and some were really WOW. We just bred my Hotline x Londonderry mare to him and she has two ET babies on the way, due April 2012. His semen is excellent also. Our ETs were conceived with one dose on the first try with a 4 year old maiden that had just been imported and is in full training / showing.

Walnut Farm
May. 28, 2011, 08:37 AM
I am sorry I have to say I was half jocking!! But that is hard to tell from a post!!!
There are no one perfect stallion for every mare bottom line (not even Benidetto lol) Knowledge of mare line, and your mare, is key

DownYonder
May. 28, 2011, 08:42 AM
For proven stallions - I'd take a long hard look at Reggazoni depending on what your mare 'needs' to have from a stallion.

Agree with this.

Although I think we are getting off track from the OP's original track. I don't believe she is looking for an amazing proven stallion, but a young one with an amazingly proven PEDIGREE.

Another one I will be keeping an eye on is Mo Swanson's Sir James.

Tasker
May. 28, 2011, 08:46 AM
Who do you think is the most exciting "up and coming" dressage stallion you've seen lately, who is standing in the US?

And by exciting, I mean who has the most amazingly proven pedigree you've seen, combined with amazing temperament, conformation and movement? Yet this stallion has not yet hit the big time?

Or, if you wanted to get the absolute best broodmare replacement from your older, favorite mare who is soon to retire, who would you breed to? Who are the best broodmare producers out there right now?

I have a premium Oldenburg mare (Diamont x premium TB) that has had two really fantastic babies (one filly, one colt). She's starting to get up there and I'm not riding her as much due to family/time etc. Last night my husband said the magic words, "Well if you're not going to ride her much, you really should breed her again."

Ideas?

Bold emphasis is mine.

DownYonder
May. 28, 2011, 09:13 AM
Bold emphasis is mine.

Good point. Thanks!

eggbutt
Jun. 1, 2011, 10:56 AM
Don Principe - timeless pedigree, super performance and producer

Royal Prince - excellent pedigree, performance, and producer

Our Royal Prince mare foaled a Don Principe filly at the end of April. This filly is absolutely outstanding - so much so that the mare has just been rebred to Don Principe. I can not say enough about Maryanna Haymon and her support of her stallion and clients. Truly superb in every way!

Obviously I am also very partial to Royal Prince - again outstanding breeding managers for him as well.

The combination of these two lines (Prince ThatchXX and Rohdiamont in both our mare and Don Principe) has been a culmination of many years of amateur breeding.

I totally agree with others that you should carefully analyze the attributes of your mare and compare them to what the stallion of choice produces. I know Maryanna and Hilltop will absolutely give you feedback on how their horses might produce with your mare and her bloodlines. It's just too expensive to breed without as much analysis and thought as you can possibly give and without as much professional input you can get from the super good stallion owners.

Good luck~~~

Spectrum
Jun. 1, 2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! Keep it coming!

I am actually terribly picky about who I will put to this mare. I've only bred her once before, and the colt was really spectacular, other than the fact that he was a colt. LOL. However the stallion from that breeding is no longer available.

Following is a link to a conformation shot:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2055388580052390541siVlYb

She is longer-framed but does not have a long/weak loin; however I would avoid putting her to anything too long in the frame or weak in the loin. I would like something with slightly more length in the gaskin and/or not so flat in the croup. This pic makes her look downhill, but she really isn't. She is slightly long in the hindleg, but not downhill.

She was a premium mare at her inspection, has no major flaws, but I'm a stickler on 1. no low neckset, 2. no long body, 3. no long in the hindleg, 4. no weak loin, 5. no high tail sets, and legs must be absolutely correct (no out behind, no hint of sickle hock, etc). I'm sure most of that goes without saying, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find all that and still have good movement, good ability to "sit," etc.

Derid
Jun. 1, 2011, 01:36 PM
One young stallion that I've liked, that had a couple missing years due to changing ownership but is now back showing is Rapture R. I'm not sure how many babies he has on the ground, but the two geldings I've seen have been very nice and are just starting undersaddle.

Mozart
Jun. 1, 2011, 01:42 PM
I don't know if Pointmaker is still alive but I know he produced a WEG dressage horse when crossed with a Diamont mare. I know he is not young (or maybe even still alive) but that turned out to be a very successful cross.

Home Again Farm
Jun. 1, 2011, 01:47 PM
He is a handsome boy, but for me it is his offspring that really show how special he is. I have seen more than a dozen in person here and in Germany and they are very consistent - typey, very elastic movers with kind temperaments. All were very good movers and some were really WOW. We just bred my Hotline x Londonderry mare to him and she has two ET babies on the way, due April 2012. His semen is excellent also. Our ETs were conceived with one dose on the first try with a 4 year old maiden that had just been imported and is in full training / showing.

This. I bred to Benidetto based mainly on the consistent quality I was seeing in his foals from a variety of mares. The Benidetto colt I got from an embryo transfer with my Don Schufro/ Rohdiamant mare was one of the best foals I have ever produced. He had presence, wow factor, three outstanding gaits and was leggy, elegant, uphill, sweet and easy and very correct. Tragically, we lost him to a colonic ulcer. I will definitely repeat that breeding someday.

Valentina_32926
Jun. 1, 2011, 02:57 PM
...And by exciting, I mean who has the most amazingly proven pedigree you've seen, combined with amazing temperament, conformation and movement? ...

So - not up and coming but fits the rest - Rubignon.

Pedigree - Rubinstein v. Donerhall (Pik Bube I)
Temperment - well known to be good with bloodlines backing it up.
Confirmation/Movement - Successful International GP wins.

Kyzteke
Jun. 1, 2011, 03:03 PM
This. I bred to Benidetto based mainly on the consistent quality I was seeing in his foals from a variety of mares. The Benidetto colt I got from an embryo transfer with my Don Schufro/ Rohdiamant mare was one of the best foals I have ever produced. He had presence, wow factor, three outstanding gaits and was leggy, elegant, uphill, sweet and easy and very correct. Tragically, we lost him to a colonic ulcer. I will definitely repeat that breeding someday.

Ooooo!!! And he has some bling too! AND Bolero!

Did you notice any particular "type" that he went best with? (In general) what was the quality of the mares you saw as dams? Did he tend to lighten the mare or add more substance? Or neither?

He's a very nice boy. And here in America too!

Can anyone tell us more about his dam line? The name "Crispy Sweet" rings a bell for some reason. Has she produced other stallions?

mbp
Jun. 1, 2011, 03:14 PM
Agree that it's hard to hit the top of each category. For youngsters, I think Sir Gregory and Benidetto are both worth watching. Not a youngster, but newish on availability, I think Falsterbo is going to be interesting and has dual talent and some proven offspring already. Rousseau (also not a youngster) has really impressive credentials. But that's four very different guys.

TKR
Jun. 1, 2011, 04:11 PM
OP - what stallion did you use with your mare previously that worked well except for the "plumbing", who is no longer available? Maybe a relative or son might work with her.
PennyG

SpiritN
Jun. 1, 2011, 04:20 PM
One young stallion that I've liked, that had a couple missing years due to changing ownership but is now back showing is Rapture R. I'm not sure how many babies he has on the ground, but the two geldings I've seen have been very nice and are just starting undersaddle.

There are several Rapture R babies here

http://www.saintlouisequestriancenter.com/rapture.php

sniplover
Jun. 1, 2011, 04:44 PM
OP - what stallion did you use with your mare previously

Looks like the stallion Tricolore (http://www.maplebrookfarm.ca/stallion.html) (Voltaire/Samber) produced Triumph (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1450970185052390541ojUeAV) who is indeed a handsome little man.

Tricolore has a full brother named Sandstorm who was also approved KWPN but the last trace of him I can find was at Bosch Farms(.com) - perhaps they know where he is?

Lots of Voltaire sons out there - and the dam of Tricolore and Sandstorm also produced an approved son by Krack C, D'n Hop (http://cms.kwpn.nl/mediafile/0002/7731/427_D_n_Hop.pdf) - if you wanted to stick with that damline

Spectrum
Jun. 2, 2011, 02:02 PM
Yes, Tricolore was the first son, and while he wasn't presented for foal approval (he was registered CWBHA) two experienced Grand Prix trainers that typically shop for horses in Europe were both interested in him, and I had an offer on them from a hunter/jumper person who saw them en route back to MN from Texas. I sold him to my sister instead, although he had to be put down due to a injury that caused neurological issues.

My mare's first filly was actually by Pointmaker and was a premium filly. Unfortunately I can't find information on her.... he name was Phantasy or something similar, bred when my mare was in the Pacific northwest.

I did consider Pointmaker actually, as I saw the Pointmaker/Diamont at the WEG. I understand quite a few Diamont mares were crossed on Pointmaker back in the early 90's. Plus I think the P-line would give me some of that nice lighter movement. I had toyed with the idea of Pablo for that reason.

TrinitySporthorses
Dec. 17, 2011, 05:01 PM
Just an update: I noticed Wake Up is now approved by ISR/Oldenburg and he received the highest dressage index on record (90!)
There IS an email address listed, as well as a phone number under contact info, if anyone is serious about breeding to him.

Has anyone found video of him? I would love to see him move but my YouTube search was fruitless!

imajacres
Dec. 17, 2011, 05:26 PM
Yes, Tricolore was the first son, and while he wasn't presented for foal approval (he was registered CWBHA) two experienced Grand Prix trainers that typically shop for horses in Europe were both interested in him, and I had an offer on them from a hunter/jumper person who saw them en route back to MN from Texas. I sold him to my sister instead, although he had to be put down due to a injury that caused neurological issues.

sorry to butt in, but Tricolore has been put down? I knew him when he was in Ottawa area with the Morgans. Or am I confused?

Top Kat
Dec. 17, 2011, 05:40 PM
I did consider Pointmaker actually, as I saw the Pointmaker/Diamont at the WEG. I understand quite a few Diamont mares were crossed on Pointmaker back in the early 90's. Plus I think the P-line would give me some of that nice lighter movement. I had toyed with the idea of Pablo for that reason.[/QUOTE]

Pointmaker is alive and well here in CA. I have a 2011 GOV Premium filly by him out of my Florencio-Lafitte-Runbinstein mare. I got exactly what I wanted from the mating, a filly with a Pik Bube I sire line and a Loretta dam line. I have no idea how this will breed on, but it seemed like a good idea to me with both producing top sport horses and breeding stock.The filly is a keeper of course.

The Pointmaker daughters are known to be super producers, he himself has sired excellent performance horses in dressage and jumping. He is definitely underused and underrated IMO.

You can Google David Ventura for more info.

NJRider
Dec. 17, 2011, 06:44 PM
Just an update: I noticed Wake Up is now approved by ISR/Oldenburg and he received the highest dressage index on record (90!)
There IS an email address listed, as well as a phone number under contact info, if anyone is serious about breeding to him.

Has anyone found video of him? I would love to see him move but my YouTube search was fruitless!

There are no online marketing materials other than if you happen to find links to where professional photographers post online albums from horse shows. There is an old video from a show but it is not probably meant to be used for promotion.

Xpression
Dec. 18, 2011, 02:02 AM
Tricolore is definitely alive and well. I live right next to him, have seen his babies and they're marvellous.

The horse got into a trailering accident and hurt himself quite badly, so now they have decided to do dressage with him instead of hunters. He has an EXCELLENT personality, and is doing First Level with an older adult amateur lady and of course, winning everything.

The horse is absolutely lovely, with a canter to die for. As a dressage rider myself, I would happily take him into my barn :D

DownYonder
Dec. 18, 2011, 09:23 AM

I thought Wakeup's sire Wagnis was not licensed, nor did he pass a recognized SPT. Or was it Wakeup's damsire, Macho, I am thinking of?

RSW
Dec. 18, 2011, 10:09 AM
Matcho AA was 1st in his SPT at Adelheidsdorf , I just lost one of his SPS mares that was wonderful in everyway:

Matcho was purchased by the Celle State Stud as a refinement stallion and has sired as of Jan. 2002 no less than 20 sons approved with the GhV. He has also been used alot resulting in 436 daughters registered as broodmares (123 of them SPA/SPS among them the winner of 1988 Ratje-Niebuhr show Malve and the winner of 1991 Louis-Wiegels-Show Marschfee) and no less than 1285 registered showhorses. These have earned him FN breed value of 138 on dressage and 108 on jumping. Dr. Christmann's 2002 stallion yearbook (based on inspections and mare performance tests) he is holding high scores of 142 for improvement of breed type, 126 on improvement of limb conformation, 136 on dressage criteria while the jumping index is slightly below average at 92.

disposition
Dressage
Hunter-jumper
(Showjumping)

show record
Stallion performance test in 1982 at Adelheidsdorf: 1st out of 39

DownYonder
Dec. 18, 2011, 10:39 AM
Matcho AA was 1st in his SPT at Adelheidsdorf , I just lost one of his SPS mares that was wonderful in everyway:

Wakeup's damsire is Macho, a son of Matcho AA. I do not know if Macho was ever approved for breeding.

Wakeup certainly seems to be a nice stallion and I applaud his breeder and owners and rider for his success, but if I am correct about the licensing status of his sire and damsire, then I don't understand how ISR can consider him eligible for breeding approval. :confused:

RSW
Dec. 18, 2011, 10:47 AM
Sorry DY, didn't realize they named a son the same as the sire! Just assumed it was Matcho AA.

Manni01
Dec. 18, 2011, 02:12 PM
There are no online marketing materials other than if you happen to find links to where professional photographers post online albums from horse shows. There is an old video from a show but it is not probably meant to be used for promotion.

In one of the first posts in this thread there were two eurodressage links listed and pne shows a video of him at Verden.

I was really impressed!!! But you only see him pretty far away

NJRider
Dec. 18, 2011, 02:22 PM
This is the one I remembered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sURNUrgH02Q

Manni01
Dec. 18, 2011, 02:44 PM
Emily Wagner's Wake Up (http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2011/05/23/wagner-picture-first-2011-us-young-horse-selection-trial-verden)hands down. The DD article is HERE (http://www.dressagedaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6226:emily-wagner-and-wake-up-qualify-for-the-fei-world-young-horse-dressage-championships-at-the-2011-markelusef-young-horse-central-selection-trials&catid=410:markelusef-young-horse-dressage-program-2011) with a lot of photos. Mary was going to upload the test video this week.

If you click on Wake up and scroll down the page to related links, there is a link on wake up in Verden. If you click on the link there is a video in the right top corner of Wake up in Verden..

Indy-lou
Dec. 18, 2011, 03:22 PM
I know this post is outside of the OP's request (guilty as charged), in that the stallion is still in Europe, and will be for at least the 2012 breeding season. But, he is North American owned, and I am under the impression they are planning to eventually import him to N.A. So, under the category of "up and coming/exciting" this is the guy that grabbed my attention this year. I've inquired about frozen, and haven't gotten word on cost yet, but it will be available. Would love it if owner brings him home, but since he has done well in competitions so far, I can understand the decision to have him continue in Europe for now. http://www.characterwarmbloods.com/index.php/stallions/connaisseur

Peg
Dec. 18, 2011, 06:56 PM
I also recommend Benidetto. I have bred 2 fillies and another foal is on the way , out of a Sinatra Song mare. My first one has just gone to the trainer so I am awaiting validation of what I feel- she will be great! Both fillies are typey, move very well, and they were top fillies at their inspection. They are smart and beautiful and I couldn't ask for more.

I am using Benidetto with my Metternich mare this year- should be very nice.

Peg

Mardi
Dec. 19, 2011, 12:14 AM
Donarweiss by DeNiro (at Hilltop).
He's having a big influence in the US right now with his foals.

MysticOakRanch
Dec. 19, 2011, 11:40 AM
Donarweiss by DeNiro (at Hilltop).
He's having a big influence in the US right now with his foals.

He's at Starr Vaughn now...

Spectrum
Dec. 19, 2011, 01:41 PM
sorry to butt in, but Tricolore has been put down? I knew him when he was in Ottawa area with the Morgans. Or am I confused?

Tricolore wasn't standing for a while, but I see he is standing again now for 2012. I bred to Tricolore when the Morgans had him, and he was sold in approx. 2006 to a place out in British Columbia.

The horse that was put down was the youngster I bred. He rolled and got stuck under a fence as a youngster, and just wasn't quite the same, didn't move quite the same, his muscling changed, etc. It got progressively worse until he had to be put down- just a shame, as he was truly a phenomenal guy.

I do like the looks of Connaisseur. And what a pedigree!

ChocoMare
Dec. 19, 2011, 02:17 PM
Definitely one to watch: Saint Sandro (http://www.goldenventurefarm.com/1GVFNSSInfo.htm)

Click for Pedigree (http://www.goldenventurefarm.com/1GVFNSSPedigree.htm)

Did quite well at the 2010 70-Day Test and has been showing very very well.

Manni01
Dec. 19, 2011, 03:05 PM
This is the one I remembered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sURNUrgH02Q
Here is the Youtube link for WakeUp in Verden 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpTdLU5tZ3E

Signature
Dec. 19, 2011, 03:29 PM
We have a Solos Landtinus foal coming in March out of an imported Mielensteifel/Brentano II mare that we're really looking forward to! We also have a Sir Gregory coming as well due at the same time. Wake Up looks very nice!!

S A McKee
Dec. 19, 2011, 03:40 PM
Definitely one to watch: Saint Sandro (http://www.goldenventurefarm.com/1GVFNSSInfo.htm)

Click for Pedigree (http://www.goldenventurefarm.com/1GVFNSSPedigree.htm)

Did quite well at the 2010 70-Day Test and has been showing very very well.

Can you provide a link to show records?
I can't find a USEF recording number for this horse?

ChocoMare
Dec. 19, 2011, 03:44 PM
Ta dah: Show Results (http://www.goldenventurefarm.com/1GVFNSSShowRecord.htm)

S A McKee
Dec. 19, 2011, 04:12 PM
Ta dah: Show Results (http://www.goldenventurefarm.com/1GVFNSSShowRecord.htm)

Well that answers that.
They are unrated shows, thus no USEF number.

svvdressage
Dec. 19, 2011, 07:33 PM
ooopps I'm wrong! :)

Tasker
Dec. 19, 2011, 07:37 PM
WakeUp's pedigree is here. (http://sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10630623)

Mardi
Dec. 19, 2011, 11:12 PM

yes, that's right. I forgot. sorry

SamWerner
Dec. 19, 2011, 11:28 PM
Well that answers that.
They are unrated shows, thus no USEF number.

All the Arabian shows are "A" rated, and the Sport Horse Nationals is a very big well known "A" rated show! It states

"Shenandoah Valley Classic - 6/16-19/2011
This was Saint Sandro's first "A" Rated Show"

^ which is where he qualified for Nationals :)

S A McKee
Dec. 20, 2011, 09:15 AM
All the Arabian shows are "A" rated, and the Sport Horse Nationals is a very big well known "A" rated show! It states

"Shenandoah Valley Classic - 6/16-19/2011
This was Saint Sandro's first "A" Rated Show"

^ which is where he qualified for Nationals :)

Yawn.
This is a breed restricted show. Low e.ntries Because of that there is no verifiable show record as a hunter or jumper.

YankeeLawyer
Dec. 20, 2011, 10:23 AM
Yawn.
This is a breed restricted show. Low e.ntries Because of that there is no verifiable show record as a hunter or jumper.

Low entries? Are you sure about that? The Arabian circuit is supposed to be competitive, as is the QH circuit.

Denigrating other people's achievements says more about the critic than the subject of the drivel.

stripes
Dec. 20, 2011, 12:01 PM
Low entries? Are you sure about that? The Arabian circuit is supposed to be competitive, as is the QH circuit.

Denigrating other people's achievements says more about the critic than the subject of the drivel.

Dressage is huge for Arabians, however, Hunter/Jumper... very very light in the entries. None of the Hunter or Jumper classes at Sport Horse Nationals had a full Top Ten, in fact I don't even think they had 10 horses in any one class. That said, I did see Saint Sandro at SHN. For a young stallion I thought he did ok, although he was not a stand out. He showed a good disposition and was shown in a ton of classes.

stripes
Dec. 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
The stallions I would add for the "up & coming" list are:
Dreammaster, who is with Charlotte Bredahl & Edgar's new stallion Wild Dance. Dreammaster looks to be on the verge of stardom, loved photographing him!
Wild Dance has offspring that have travelled up the levels to FEI, but he hasn't been used much, but I think that is about to change =).

Broodmare sires:
I LOVE to see Espri in the damline. Escudo II is here in the states and there is Escudo I in Germany. I think you can still get Espri's frozen, hopefully someone here will confirm.

sanctuaryfarm
Dec. 20, 2011, 12:34 PM

Hilltop Farms state they are still handling his semen

Indy-lou
Dec. 20, 2011, 01:02 PM
Re: Sir Gregory of Dreamscape Farms from Dressage Daily:

~Shannon Peters, whose Grand Prix partner Odyssey was retired after the National Dressage Championships at Gladstone, had nothing but praise for her new prospect: Sir Gregory, a 6-year-old Sir Donnerhall stallion owned by Jennifer and Armin Arnoldt of Dreamscape Farm in British Columbia. “I've only had him for two months,” said Peters, “but he’s the nicest, kindest stallion I have ever been around. He has a terrific work ethic, and always wants everyone’s attention in the barn. And he has the gaits to match his stellar personality.” Peters hasn’t yet decided on her show plans. “We’re going to see how the next couple of months go, training-wise.”~

I've seen one foal by SG fairly often, since the filly lives near me, and she is a very friendly, good-natured young horse with correct conformation and nice gaits. I'm expecting a SG foal in 2012 also. From what I have seen in photos/videos of other SG foals, they seem to be consistent in type, and the owners say friendly dispositions on the foals.

MysticOakRanch
Dec. 20, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hilltop Farms state they are still handling his semen

Frozen semen, yes, I only posted originally to note he IS now owned by SVE ;)

beetwinnumberone
Dec. 30, 2011, 03:12 AM
I've known him for about twelve years or so....ever since his current owner bought him. His forte is definitely as a broodmare producer. And he was originally brought over specifically to breed to Diamont mares. He also had a son out of a thoroughbred mare long listed for eventing in a recent (maybe the most recent?) Olympics. He has outstanding feet and in his last years of competing (he retired pretty young, but only because his owner is not all that into competing) he went barefoot. He does FEI work at home, and does it all barefoot in very basic footing. His temperament is unbeatable. He is regularly used as a schoolmaster for students both brave and timid, and my own pretty timid daughter started riding him when she was eight years old. I've known a zillion of his foals, owned a few (and have one on the way), and know broodmares by him. One of his daughters produced a Worthy Opponent foal that was definitely a stallion prospect.

Sonesta
Dec. 30, 2011, 12:34 PM
I, too, love Pointmaker. I got a lovely, flashy black filly with tons of chrome from that breeding that was so nice, our own Kathy of Equine-Reproduction.com bought her and owns her still!

Perfect Pony
Dec. 30, 2011, 01:21 PM
It's a bit sad what happened to Pointmaker as a stallion and sire. It seems he was bred to anything and everything, so although there are a few of his offspring that are superb, there are many around here who are disasters in temperament and conformation. Same can be said for Diamont, I've never in my life seen horses with such poor conformation and soundness problems.

I went to the farm where Pointmaker stands to look at some horses, it was an experience I'll never forget!

Anyway, it all taught me one heck of a lesson, the mare matters. A LOT. Plus, a good breeder knows who to breed her mare to. No matter how nice a stallion might be they can produce some terrible offspring with the wrong mare.

PiedmontSporthorses
Dec. 30, 2011, 01:38 PM
Regarding Sir Gregory...
I have also seen one filly by SG... and dare I say she is amazing!!! Like Indy-Lou stated, she is also very friendly, very good-natured, very correct, and she is going to be a superstar! He is on top of my very short list for my special girl. Plus with Shannon riding him now, I think his "stock" will go up even more, as he will be further proven undersaddle as well.

For other young and up coming stallions with proven lines, I also like Mo's Sir James!!!! Love, love, love his lines - what a great mix! I can't wait to see what John can do with him. I would definately also consider Hemmingway (owned by Rock Solid, currently standing at Hilltop), hopefully good things to come for him under Michael. But, he's on the small side, at only 17.2 as a coming four-year-old! (just kidding!)

jwsporthorses
Dec. 30, 2011, 01:41 PM
Worth taking a look at, the total package! USDF scores, pedigree, offspring can all be found on the link below. 3 lifetime licenses.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/JW-Sporthorses/256565069298

Perfect Pony
Dec. 30, 2011, 04:20 PM
Worth taking a look at, the total package! USDF scores, pedigree, offspring can all be found on the link below. 3 lifetime licenses.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/JW-Sporthorses/256565069298

I thought the Contester in CA died? Is this a full brother?

NorCalDressage
Dec. 30, 2011, 08:00 PM
I thought the Contester in CA died? Is this a full brother?

Yes - Contester II

AND, he's FABULOUS!!! :cool:

risingstarfarm
Dec. 30, 2011, 10:41 PM
Yes - Contester II

Yes!

jwsporthorses
Dec. 31, 2011, 12:04 AM
Yes, the full brother to Contester a few years younger, born in 2002. Thanks Rhonda! He is FABULOUS! These are proven bloodlines, great USDF scores and really nice offspring. Contester II's full brother Contester proved himself before his untimely passing, the other full brother is a international event horse competing in Europe. If you are looking for long legs, super movement, proven sport scores and a temperament we all wish for, you may want to take a look at Contester II.

Contester II is by Contender, Contango and Ravel are both closely related.

We are looking forward to Grand Prix in 2012!

FLIPPED HER HALO
Dec. 31, 2011, 01:22 AM
Yes - Contester II

LOVE C2!
He is amazing and beautiful to watch. I love his laid back and calm personality when I have seen him at shows. He has character both inside and outside the ring. Each year he gets better and better.

MysticOakRanch
Dec. 31, 2011, 10:03 AM
CII is a lovely stallion AND he's got the performance record!

ottb_dressage
Dec. 31, 2011, 10:37 PM
Another vote for Contester II. I absolutely adore his temperament, and feel that it's definitely amateur friendly, and seems to pass that onto his offspring. He has stellar conformation, is just gorgeous to look at (and as an added bonus seems to be producing some nice "bling" on many of his babies) and has definitely got the show results to prove he's well on his way to being a standout in the ring and in the breeding shed. If I was looking to breed for a dressage horse, he'd be on the top of my list.

allanglos
Jan. 1, 2012, 01:04 AM
Dressage is huge for Arabians, however, Hunter/Jumper... very very light in the entries. None of the Hunter or Jumper classes at Sport Horse Nationals had a full Top Ten, in fact I don't even think they had 10 horses in any one class. That said, I did see Saint Sandro at SHN. For a young stallion I thought he did ok, although he was not a stand out. He showed a good disposition and was shown in a ton of classes.

My gelding's amateur class had 21. My Pony Hunter's class had 17. I can't remember the rest.

gioiacreekfarm
Feb. 9, 2012, 01:23 AM
I have to agree on Contester II. He is simply stunning with a proven show record. Great pedigree as well. I have a yearling filly by him and she has the most fabulous disposition. She is a quick and eager learner and not to mention she can MOVE. I will definitely keep using him in the future.

Kyzteke
Feb. 9, 2012, 10:07 AM
Sir Gregory. LOVE his pedigree.

And the fact that Shawna Peters will be riding him in competition from now on certainly won't hurt his career.

DennisM
Feb. 9, 2012, 11:42 AM
Shakespeare RSF -- http://www.rollingstonefarm.com/ = YOUNG dressage stallion that meets all these criteria

He's showing PSG at 8 years old in FL this winter; he won his stallion performance test; he's been amazingly consistent with his offspring, all of which are attractive and good-to-great moving (see LOTS of videos at the website), he has a great mix of new and old dressage and jumping bloodlines; his first youngsters under saddle look terrific (video links on website); his dam line has produced 3 licensed stallions.

Sunnydays
Feb. 9, 2012, 02:35 PM
I'm voting for Sir Gregory or Shakespeare. Some other super stallions, but these two are young, and quickly making a mark.

jwsporthorses
Feb. 10, 2012, 12:39 AM
Contester II turns 10 this year and we have Grand Prix in our sites for 2012. In 2010 he came in 4th in the nation for the USEF Developing Horse Championships in Chicago (only 15 horses in the nation get invited). This young stallion has put quite a mark in the dressage world, in 2009 he took home the championship HOY for both the USDF region 7 and CDS HOY at 4th level. In 2011 he took home 2 reserve championships for USDF region 7 and CDS for I1. From the time Contester II hit US soil as a yearling he has been winning and he has quite a impressive performance record. If we can find a way to foot the bill in 2012 he will try to qualify for the USEF Young Horse Grand Prix championships in Chicago.

I have worked very hard to always have a performance stallion before a breeding stallion. Somewhere between shows Contester II found time to get lifetime approved in 3 registries as well. And as his first foals turned 4 this year I expect they will produce the same kind of scores as their sire.

I think when stallion shopping mare owners have to look at all the factors, pedigree, performance, offspring and what will make a good cross to improve the mare. Or go with a cross that has been repeated through breeding history as proven cross.

Anyone can go to centerlinescores.com and check USDF lifetime scores by searching a horses name.

Happy stallion hunting!

TrinitySporthorses
Feb. 10, 2012, 12:48 AM
The stallions I would add for the "up & coming" list are:
Dreammaster, who is with Charlotte Bredahl & Edgar's new stallion Wild Dance. Dreammaster looks to be on the verge of stardom, loved photographing him!
Wild Dance has offspring that have travelled up the levels to FEI, but he hasn't been used much, but I think that is about to change =).

:yes::yes::yes::D

HickoryHill
Feb. 10, 2012, 07:09 PM
Sir Gregory recently had a son approved at the Southern German stallion days:
Sir Wellington

dreamcatchermeadows
Feb. 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
Olympic medalist and international dressage judge Charlotte Bredahl Baker is training the Grand Prix and competing at CDIs in 2012 on the 9 year old Hanoverian stallion Dreammaster DMV (Dimaggio/Dream of Glory) "the epitome of the modern sport horse" was the authorized quote from the 2011 stallion licensing committee. "Exceptional temperament" Unusually both parents are top level proven performance horses - Dimaggio the 2002 World Dressage Breeding Champion and EM Daisy Dee (competes as Dreamcatcher Elite) a multi-award winning (including lifetime achievement) mare, Carl Hester and Jill Giese competing. Bred by Dreamcatcher Meadows Ventures Ltd. www.dreamcatchermeadows.com

Dreammaster DMV's recent accomplishments: AWS FEI HOY, Stallion of the Year and Dressage PSG HOY; Hanoverian USDF PSG rankings all breed - 2nd. Went from First Level to PSG in a few months (six PSG/Inter 1 championships) - regularly mid-70s, usually 9 for paces.

Progeny - There are 11 offspring 4 yo Mastermind - Wes.Canada FEI 4yo Champ; Desiree hunter jumper; DMV has sold all others to non-competitive homes that will not part with them. All current broodmares at DMV are related therefore no current offspring.

Facebook: please join and "like" Dreamcatcher Meadows group page. Hope this information is helpful.

Will only breed max 10 mares due to competition schedule.

Gayle in Oregon
Feb. 28, 2012, 05:45 PM
Olympic medalist and international dressage judge Charlotte Bredahl Baker is training the Grand Prix and competing at CDIs in 2012 on the 9 year old Hanoverian stallion Dreammaster DMV (Dimaggio/Dream of Glory) "the epitome of the modern sport horse" was the authorized quote from the 2011 stallion licensing committee. "Exceptional temperament" Unusually both parents are top level proven performance horses - Dimaggio the 2002 World Dressage Breeding Champion and EM Daisy Dee (competes as Dreamcatcher Elite) a multi-award winning (including lifetime achievement) mare, Carl Hester and Jill Giese competing. Bred by Dreamcatcher Meadows Ventures Ltd. www.dreamcatchermeadows.com

Dreammaster DMV's recent accomplishments: AWS FEI HOY, Stallion of the Year and Dressage PSG HOY; Hanoverian USDF PSG rankings all breed - 2nd. Went from First Level to PSG in a few months (six PSG/Inter 1 championships) - regularly mid-70s, usually 9 for paces.

Progeny - There are 11 offspring 4 yo Mastermind - Wes.Canada FEI 4yo Champ; Desiree hunter jumper; DMV has sold all others to non-competitive homes that will not part with them. All current broodmares at DMV are related therefore no current offspring.

Facebook: please join and "like" Dreamcatcher Meadows group page. Hope this information is helpful.

Will only breed max 10 mares due to competition schedule.

Sounds interesting, Links to video?

horsey1cr
Feb. 28, 2012, 07:00 PM
Sounds interesting, Links to video?

I just google him and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3c6Ndcw_Y

Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider
Feb. 28, 2012, 07:25 PM
I just found him too.

June 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3c6Ndcw_Y&feature=related

Sept 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXGHj2HZrkY&feature=related

Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider
Feb. 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
oh I see the first one is the same video

Crosiadore
Feb. 28, 2012, 08:15 PM
Am going to have to agree with the posters that have already recommended Sir Gregory. First saw this young stallion at Rastede, Germany as a three year old. I did not know who he was but he impressed me under saddle enough to take photos. The horses at Rastede are the best in Oldenburg, and not all impressed me enough to take photos. Later saw Sir Gregory was imported to Canada. Saw video of a Young horse test and was not so impressed. Wanted to love the stallion but was not convinced. Two years ago I attended the Oldenburg Korung, and one of my favorite stallions was a half brother (by Sandro Hit) to Sir Gregory. Now Sir Gregory has my attention again. I bred my Dormello mare to Sir Gregory this year based on what I saw as a three year old and what I saw of his half brother. Now after seeing Sir Gregory's first foal crop and his most recent video, I am most hopeful I made the right decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ferMLUN-RsQ

Elastic and a Sir Donnerhall with a walk. Congrats to Jennifer and Armin.

Blume Farm
Feb. 28, 2012, 09:33 PM

Matcho was purchased by the Celle State Stud as a refinement stallion and has sired as of Jan. 2002 no less than 20 sons approved with the GhV. He has also been used alot resulting in 436 daughters registered as broodmares (123 of them SPA/SPS among them the winner of 1988 Ratje-Niebuhr show Malve and the winner of 1991 Louis-Wiegels-Show Marschfee)

My mare's dam is Marschfee:) I can attest to the benefits of having Matcho in the pedigree as a refining stallion. I have bred my mare to "heavier" producing stallions including Rotspon and Rousseau...the resulting horses have been lighter and refined. Just my (very biased!) opinion.

Perfect Pony
Feb. 29, 2012, 10:14 AM
Am going to have to agree with the posters that have already recommended Sir Gregory.

Yeah, then we have this on top it off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlgTwoZCP10
Jumps around like an AA hunter in temperament with beautiful form.

And foals that look like this?
http://youtu.be/6sSaRthguds

What a super cool stallion he is. I second the Congrats.

Edgewood
Feb. 29, 2012, 06:53 PM
Am going to have to agree with the posters that have already recommended Sir Gregory. First saw this young stallion at Rastede, Germany as a three year old. I did not know who he was but he impressed me under saddle enough to take photos. The horses at Rastede are the best in Oldenburg, and not all impressed me enough to take photos. Later saw Sir Gregory was imported to Canada. Saw video of a Young horse test and was not so impressed. Wanted to love the stallion but was not convinced. Two years ago I attended the Oldenburg Korung, and one of my favorite stallions was a half brother (by Sandro Hit) to Sir Gregory. Now Sir Gregory has my attention again. I bred my Dormello mare to Sir Gregory this year based on what I saw as a three year old and what I saw of his half brother. Now after seeing Sir Gregory's first foal crop and his most recent video, I am most hopeful I made the right decision.

Ditto Nancy's comments. Although I did not get to see him in Germany, I asked a friend in depth questions about him as she trained in Germany at the same farm that SG was at and is also an upper level rider. She was very impressed by him under saddle. I also didn't really like his young horse class video. The new video is much better.

I bred to him his first season and he did a super job improving the movement on the resulting colt and keeping the pretty type of the mare. Very notable is how much the walk improved on the colt vs the dam.

clint
Feb. 29, 2012, 08:10 PM
Sir Gregory is such a beautiful stallion. Jennifer posted a video of him on FB yesterday that blew me away. For those who have foals by him, what is the temperament like?

Edgewood
Feb. 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
Sir Gregory is such a beautiful stallion. Jennifer posted a video of him on FB yesterday that blew me away. For those who have foals by him, what is the temperament like?

My colt is really friendly and sweet. His year older half sister by Soprano was pretty shy right off the bat and it took her about a month to warm up to people. The colt on the other hand was friendly right away from 1 day old.

I would describe his temperament as easy going and laid back. I know that my other 2 colts are much more like to go careening around and show off and get jazzed up. The SG is really laid back, not spooky, easy to handle.

RunningwaterWBs
Mar. 1, 2012, 06:15 AM
My Sir Gregory filly has a super temperament. Takes things in stride. The other night I put her in a stall after weeks of 24/7 turnout and she just stood there eating hay. It takes a lot to get her riled up, like her first time ever in snow after that freak October snowstorm. She also has three great gaits and is very tall. I love love love this stallion!