PDA

View Full Version : Tightening No-Climb Fencing - OR How do you use a Fence Stretcher?!

Liscar
Apr. 12, 2011, 01:30 PM
We had to move our pastures and we are in the process of putting them back together. They are 5 ft. no climb. We have all the fencing tacked up, now we just need to figure out a) how to stretch it and/or b) how the heck you use one of those fence stretchers that you can buy at TSC, that is just a board with a piece of steel attached to it. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but does anyone have a clue, that could clue me in?! ;)

TIA!! This is making my husband and I a little batty. "Now, how are we gonna tighten this so it holds the horses and doesn't look like CRAP?!" :D

fordtraktor
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:21 PM
This is a pretty decent summary. The short answer is with a come-along or a tractor. You probably shouldn't have tacked up the fence before stretching it, I hope you didn't go too tack-crazy. :) Have fun!

http://www.ehow.com/how_7603259_use-woven-wire-stretcher.html

Liscar
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks! It is a good summary.

And no worries, the fence is literally tacked up with either the top rail brackets and/or ONE staple. Just enough to hold it.

AnotherRound
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:59 PM
I agree, I can't feature that they put the fence out and tacked to the posts and want to tighten it after that. You need to tighten it from post to post as you install it.

Tom King
Apr. 12, 2011, 05:18 PM
The "fence stretcher" is for a single strand of barbed wire. Non-climb is more easily pulled tight with 2x4s bolted together and some means of putting tension on that. Two really strong guys can put enough tension, but those are hard to find. When I'm short handed I use a rope puller-much like a come-a-long, but it works on any length of 3 strand rope.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=21700

Tom King
Apr. 12, 2011, 05:22 PM
I agree, I can't feature that they put the fence out and tacked to the posts and want to tighten it after that. You need to tighten it from post to post as you install it.

I stretch a long section in one pull. I don't use staples, but loops of short line around the top board just to hold it up.

A most important point is not to get a fold in it going from laid out flat, to up in place. Kinks in the wire are harder to get out than coming off the roll nice and smooth.

fordtraktor
Apr. 12, 2011, 05:38 PM
We do long sections too, not post to post. I can't imagine redoing a come-along 500 times.

FLeckenAwesome
Apr. 16, 2011, 01:33 AM
Timely thread!

We've been redoing fencing too, and have used a come along.. and it still doesn't look great.

I've put a long (but not quite the entire length) rod in the fence, then attached a "fingered" pole with rope to the come along and then pulled. But it still sags on the top????

Why is it soooo hard?!?!
PS... my lawn mower is NOT heavy enough... so we've been using trees.

fordtraktor
Apr. 16, 2011, 09:13 AM
Are you dealing with a lot of uneven ground, Fleck? Are you pulling a straight line off the ground or contouring with the ground? If you contour with the ground too much and the ground is rolling, you can end up with extra fence at the top if you follow a dip, if that makes any sense. Take a pieces of ribbon, lay it flat and then bend it and you'll see there is extra material at the top. Same idea.

Don't know if this is your problem but it is a thought. Try pulling shorter sections and keeping those as straight as you can w/r/t/ the fence itself even if you have to fill in a few areas. I've been known to flatten out a few hills and build up others to make it more conducive to appropriate fencing.

It is a real PITA in WV where I am from. No-climb is not a particularly good fencing option there for that reason, I have never seen it used there. Field fence is a bit more flexible but still hard to deal with.

walkinthewalk
Apr. 16, 2011, 10:18 AM
Mr. WTW built one of those woven wire fence stretchers and it didn't cost us a dime because he had everything in his work shop, including the two pieces of 2 x 4.

We have 23 acres worth of cross-fencing and have worked that thing to death - lol

I can get pics of it, if you want to see it.

I, too, hope there aren't a lot of tacks in the fence as the stretching gets done before the tacking up does:)

We hooked our home made fence stretcher to the tractor (a 4-wheeler or large garden tractor will also work), I gently pulled while Mr. WTW walked the fence line and stood the woven wire up. We had about 600' of woven wire perfectly stretched in less than 10 minutes and tacked up in 10 more:yes:

FLeckenAwesome
Apr. 16, 2011, 11:27 AM
Wow... I need to fly you guys in to help us with ours!!

I think some of it is uneven ground. But I do think perhaps we need to use something as long/tall as the fence, not almost as long. I'll try that next.

Thanks!

Nes
Apr. 16, 2011, 10:51 PM
If you don't have use of a tractor we put up a backyard fence (cow fencing) using trailer tie-downs to keep it tight :)

Worked very very well where the tractor couldn't get in because of the well or septic.

apachepony
Apr. 18, 2011, 07:55 AM
Watch these videos and build your own fence stretcher.

http://www.louispage.com/blog/bid/7889/How-To-Install-Red-Brand-Woven-Wire-Horse-Fence-Video

Two 2x4's, drill three holes, and bolt together on either side of your woven wire. Costs nothing and works really well.

When I stretched a 400' run, even as tight as I could crank the come along (granted, I only had one, not two) I had to use sticks to prop the mesh up to the posts.

It's one of those things that seems incredibly daunting before you start (to me at least, I recently did this for the first time), but once you've done it, is really very simple. Start with your shortest run since there's less to go wrong.