PDA

View Full Version : Best way to dispose of Raccoons?

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 08:00 AM
We have a family of 3 raccoons that are reaking havoc in our trash.

They have not gone down to the barn yet, but its only a matter of time. The tree they live in is a remote part of the pasture, but again, its only a matter of time before they meet up with the horses.

SO has said he could try to shoot them, but in the dark hes not a very good shot. We have one trap, but then theres the risk of getting scratched and such.

Would anti-freeze kill them as it does a dog? We have no other animals around and I could put a bowl up by the house trash cans, away from the horses.

I am a pretty good shot, if thats the only way to get rid of them.

B & B Sport Horses at Second Chance Farms

Member of the Paint Hunter Clique

http://community.webshots.com/user/ga_jumpr
Dont put the cart before the horse, unless he knows how to push it of course. ~~ Pat Green

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 08:00 AM
We have a family of 3 raccoons that are reaking havoc in our trash.

They have not gone down to the barn yet, but its only a matter of time. The tree they live in is a remote part of the pasture, but again, its only a matter of time before they meet up with the horses.

SO has said he could try to shoot them, but in the dark hes not a very good shot. We have one trap, but then theres the risk of getting scratched and such.

Would anti-freeze kill them as it does a dog? We have no other animals around and I could put a bowl up by the house trash cans, away from the horses.

I am a pretty good shot, if thats the only way to get rid of them.

Dont put the cart before the horse, unless he knows how to push it of course. ~~ Pat Green

goobs
Jan. 22, 2004, 08:08 AM
Antifreeze will definitely kill them. We had a racoon living in our attic and a bowl quickly dispatched him in one night. Another time we had 2 racoons climbing up a huge pine tree in our backyard (every night at 3AM) and eating or scaring the birds and their eggs and young. The noise was awful and scary. I finally had the guts to go outside with a flashlight to see what was causing that noise from hell. Sure enough I saw two fat racoons make their way slowly down and give me a look (if they could have given me the finger they would have) and creep away. So they got a bowl of antifreeze at the base of the tree and they were done with too. Those poor birds.

I hated doing it but racoons can carry rabies and one can never be too sure. Antifreeze is very appealing for animals to drink because it is sweet so be super careful around the horses and other animals (I know you will be) and hopefully no deer will drink it either.

RunningwaterWBs
Jan. 22, 2004, 08:11 AM
Catch them in a Have-A-Heart trap, vaccinate them for rabies (if you can find a vet to do it, and no, it isn't customary, but it does make sense), and relocate them to some vast wilderness far from your home.

I'm the first to advocate shooting them if they exhibit any sign of disease, but the thought of just blowing them away because they're eating your trash grosses me out. Ditto on the antifreeze, which, incidentally, may appeal to your own pets.

(flame suit zipped)

ponygirl
Jan. 22, 2004, 08:12 AM
We have raccoons in our neighborhood and I live in a suburban area. Our neighbors used to put their trash out the night before the garbage guys came but that was short-lived as the raccoons had a grand time with it. Maybe you can put your trash out the morning of pickup. Also Have-a-Heart traps work well. You can get them from animal control. They don't kill them and animal control will come get them once caught.

"Dogs have owners, cats have staff."

SweatySaddlepad
Jan. 22, 2004, 08:13 AM
If your worried about getting stratched they have services who come set the humane traps and relocate them to a remote area http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Much better choice I would think.

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 08:16 AM
My thing...they can carry EPM and this is horse country up here.

They do me no good and I dont really want to risk getting scratched transporting a trap somewhere.

I think they will get anti-freeze for dinner tonight. I love all animals, but when it comes to the saftey of my horses and myself...then I'll do what I have to do.

goodhors
Jan. 22, 2004, 08:50 AM
I would advocate using the live traps, and then killing them. Your putting antifreeze out in the open, exposes it to any passing animal, not just the coons. Those other animals will probably be attracted to the sweet smell, and also drink it. With the trap you can catch whatever, and then decide if it is what needs disposing of. We have coons come in the barn looking for catfood. We try to only put out what the cats will eat at a meal, but coons, possums, come to check dish anyway. Sometimes want a drink of water too.
I would try calling local animal control to dispose of it first. If they won't, you have to do it yourself. Shooting or drowning is a quick way to dispose of the animal, without a chance of you getting hurt. Then dispose of the carcass. With possible disease carriers, you don't want to be burying them on your property, or throwing the carcass where other animals can feed on it. I bag ours in paper feed sack and put in the garbage, to have garbage man haul off.

PLEASE DO NOT!!!! relocate trapped animals!!! You are just causing someone else the same problem. We do not want your possible EPM possums and unfrightened wild raccoons to come to our house and tear things up, leaving their cooties around either!! You don't want them, why should we? Very few places have miles of forest without habitation. Most animals go right back where they started, often up to 50 miles! My friend was trying to be "kind" releasing them after trapping. I told her to mark them first. Hers, possums and coons, ALL came back from a 10 mile trip. She killed them the next time she caught them, they were slaughtering her flock of birds. You mess up the population of animals already in a place, by bringing in and releasing strange, possibly contaminated animals. They fight, spread their germs around as they travel.

lilblackhorse
Jan. 22, 2004, 09:06 AM
wow, I have to say that putting out antifreeze to kill them is pretty inhumane. If you don't want to call the authorities to trap them humanely and relocate them (I am sure that there are non horse places that these beautiful animals can live)....then trap them and shoot them and qive them a quick death.

I think it's unconsionable to poison and animal-and you don't even know if these animals are ill or anything. I couldn't live with myself knowing I caused the drawn out painful death of poisoning an animal.

Elippses Users Clique........"I hate stall rest" and Grammar Nazi Cliques

"What the fuh?" Robby Johnson

breezymeadow
Jan. 22, 2004, 09:20 AM
Not to mention that 1) dogs & cats are drawn to antifreeze like kids to candy, & 2) you are polluting the groundwater table. In fact, I don't know of ANY area where it isn't ILLEGAL to dump antifreeze on the ground.

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer-upper".

Lord Helpus
Jan. 22, 2004, 09:40 AM
lilblackhorse,

You have obviously not had extensive experiences with raccoons. They are NOT beautiful animals. They are repulsive, destructive, disease carrying scavengers. They have chewed through wood, have pushed through layers of insullation, have eaten holes in plastic garbage cans

I have been fighting the good fight with them for 4 years now. I tried turning them in to the Humane Society (they just open the back door and release them). I tried releasing them (under 5 miles and the suckers beat me home. Over 5 miles, they became someone else's problem, until those "someone else"'s start trapping them and releasing them back in my area...)

So I have started killing them after catching them. Two summers ago, I had a man working for me who had a gun. He quickly dispatched them and then we buried them with a heavy layer of lime over them to discourage other animals from digging them up.

Last summer, without the benefit of the man with a gun, I drowned them in my pond. The first time, it really grossed me out. After that, I got a stronger stomach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather-who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."

BLBGP
Jan. 22, 2004, 09:45 AM
I fifth or sixth the anti-antifreeze sentiments on this thread. That is a cruel way for the little buggers to go. Humane traps are very easy to come by and then you can dispose of them correctly without endangering the other critters in your area.

Also, you mentioned they were "reaking havoc in our trash". So it sounds like your trash is not properly secured for raccoon country. You need to get raccoon-safe bins or else you're just going to lure a new family to you as soon as this one is gone. The only reason they are there is because you're putting out tasty morsels for them all the time!

The proper way to get rid of them - provided they are otherwise healthy and disease-free - is to take away the food source you're offering to them on a platter every night thus making them go back to the woods for food.

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 09:45 AM
Ok...this seems to be a two sided disucssion. I think we all can agree that they can be dangourouse to humans and animals. I dont think there is really a "humane" way of killing anything....you ARE killing it!
There are quite a bit of infected animals that do not exihbit signs of being sick. These 3 are proabably not ill in anyway...but I really dont want to take that chance. I am not sure they have made it down to the barn, but if they have/had it would be easy for them to infect the horses...they pick up the "left overs" left by the horses feed falling out of the buckets, they leave droppings behind, the horses they look for fallen feed and end up eating some of the droppings. Its too risky for me to even think about not getting rid of them. Plus they are making a HUGE mess.

There are 3 of them, I know this. I have access to one trap. So, I could set the trap and hope to catch one, then shoot and wait for the other two to come. Or I could set a bowl of anti-freeze out and let them drink. They all seem to come together, always. If you see one, the other two are close by.

I am not going to dump the anti-freeze on the ground, will they spill, it...they might. Could a dog or cat be attracted to it and get to it...maybe, but I doubt it. Unless these animals make it a piont to come 5 miles up the road to take a sip, then I doubt it.

I am looking for the easiest, quickest way to get rid of them. Whos to say if I catch one that the other two will not set him free? They are smart little devils! I do not want them on my land or near my horses and relocating them is not a good idea as goodhors said.

They might be cute but they are a pest and a potential threat. you put mouse poison out to kill mice...they eat it and dont die a nice quick death, it does take a little while. Either way they need to go, and I think killing them is my only option...unless someone here wants to take them.

Courtknee202
Jan. 22, 2004, 09:48 AM
A few years ago, the neighbors decided to poison my sisters kitten with antifreeze. Anyone who can purposely do that to an animal, is a sick, sick individual.

At least kill them humanely.

lilblackhorse
Jan. 22, 2004, 09:50 AM
no , LH, I don't have the "extensive" experience that you do. Perhaps I would think otherwise if I did.

As far as poisoning mice? I use a trap and they die a quick death. I don't have a problem killing them I suppose if that is your only option, but I just think you could do it more humanely. Also, have you made every consideration to making sure that your garbage and such is secure...and not say, having pet food just sitting out? I would think from my experience dealing with them here, is that if there is no food for them, they will move on somewhere to where there IS food. Just some thoughts....

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 09:54 AM
They "live" in a tree stump in the pasture...have been there since they were babies. In the summer time they eat the birds, im guessing, as they stay out of the trash.
These buggers no how to take a lid off of a trash can...if they cant then they eat their way through. I have learned not to put any food in the trash cans outside....they still insist on going through the trash and checking to see. How much longer before they work their way down to the barn and into the feed room?
I had a Wendys cup in the bed of my truck...empty. They climbed into the truck, leaving nice foot prints and scratches...to tear apart the cup!

Believe me...if leaving them nothing to eat worked, they would be gone by now.
I asked for suggestions and I have got some good ones. Either way they will die, im sorry but trapping them and taking them up the road will not work.

It seems the majority thinks catching them then shooting them is the best. I could drown them but doesnt that seem just as slow and "inhumane" as anti-freeze?! We will set the trap up tonight and see how that goes.

goobs
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:00 AM
I set the antifreeze near the base of that pine tree around midnight and waited. I knew they would come because they came every night terrorizing those poor birds. The noise of those poor birds was horrible and frightened everyone in the house. I saw them coming and saw them drink. My brother shot a bb gun at them to chase them away and I took the bowl back inside so there was no risk of contamination. I know the birds were grateful at least. One good thing I experienced, is that once you do the antifreeze thing, none of their buddies come back either. I used this technique in the barn against rats. Worked like a charm when nothing else did. Yes, I was extremely careful when I set it out. The little bowls were put in a place I knew where the rats ran around (behind walls, etc.) and not out in the open where the ducks, dogs, cats, deer or foxes and their kits would get to it. It was a pain because being the anal person I am "guarded" the bowls all night to ensure that nothing drank out of them, but all it took was one or two nights and wam, they were GONE!

Racoons are cute and I don't advocate killing for killing but when it comes to the safety of my horses, dogs and children - then yea, it's me or them.

Kels
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:00 AM
Well, I can't speak from experience, but the antifreeze idea doesn't bother me.

I know, if we used antifreeze around here to get rid of 'coons, the deer and bunnies would get to it too. We don't always see them, but we know they're there.

I would also worry about it MAYBE spilling on the ground and other animals being attracted (who knows, weirder things have happened)...So be careful what you put it on!

I would catch them and shoot them, be careful if you bury them, could you burn them?

-Kelsey-
And though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil.

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:04 AM
I was wondering about burning them too. I have no idea.
I am sure we have no dear in this area, I have seen no signs of them in a long time. they used to come lick on the salt black and graze in the pasture, but I have not seen one, or droppings of them for years. I think all of the costruction drove them farther north.

We do have opossums, they are another mess...but they tend to not make it across the road very well.

Kels
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:17 AM
Yea, the possums, raccoons, and groundhogs tend not to make it across the road out here- people hit them on purpose.

I live in the city so our "woods" by my house and our apple trees are about as good as the deer are going to get for food in the winter!

My parents don't mind the deer but they were eating our flowers and bird food...http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

-Kelsey-
And though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil.

breezymeadow
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:25 AM
I second the question about your "trash". I mean, I live in the middle of bum-f*ck nowhere, & have for the past 10 years, & have yet to have a racoon problem with my trash. Of course, I use appropriate trash cans, appropriately & TIGHTLY fastened, & geez, no need to set out trays of antifreeze here. And I have 7 horses, leave my barn open during nice weather - sorry - can't see your problem except that perhaps you are living more into the "country" than you should be.

Erin
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:25 AM
Opposums are the main EPM carrier, by the way, so I find it a little puzzling that you're more worried about the raccoons than the possums.

Once you kill these three raccoons, will you kill the next bunch that wander onto your property, now that it's unclaimed territory?

So far, the only actual problem you've mentioned is them getting into the trash. So, fix the problem -- secure your trash cans. And make sure your grain bins in your barn are secure.

We had raccoons and oppossums on the property where I kept horses for 20 years... the only time we had a problem was when we kept a dish of cat food out in the barn for the barn cats. We started putting the cat food away at night, and the racoons wandered off in search of other easy food sources. We never saw racoon poop in the stalls... we did see some in the hayloft once in a blue moon. But not very often after we got rid of the cat food.

If they are actually IN your barn and bothering your grain or your horses, sure, trap them and get rid of them. But why not try some less invasive solutions first?

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:31 AM
I was under the impression that Raccoons were a main carrier, my apologies.

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:37 AM
sorry - can't see your problem except that perhaps you are living more into the "country" than you should be.

Not sure what that means exactly. AS I have stated before...no food is put into these two trash cans. It has been a good couple of months since food has been put into them. they still go through them. They knock the cans over, then pull the lids off. these are the rubbermaid locking trash cans, with the handles that lock upwards. Yes, they manage to get them open and drag out every last piece of trash.

Maybe they will give up and move on.

fargonefarm
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:40 AM
Flame-suit zipped and ready to go:

I own a boarding/Training/Breeding facility. I have boarders that pay me a lot of money to care for their horses, and I have a lot of money put into my own. Coons around here are known to be sick and last summer our part of the state had to deal with three different strains of rabies because of coons. They are violent here - one even came after me.
So yes - I'm a good shot and when I know they've invaded my barn, I go down late at night and shoot the buggers. I have many cats and a dog so anti-freeze isn't an option (the environmental thing also concerns me). I will even live trap them and then shoot them. They are a menace in this area and dangerous. I hate them.
OK- let it fly....

Riding: the art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.

Erin
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:41 AM
Raccoons were discovered to be a carrier in the last couple of years. Oppossums were known to be a carrier before that. Armadillos also carry EPM, and the life cycle of the EPM parasite can also be completed in the domestic cat and the skunk, although I don't think it's believed that the skunk and cat are usually carriers.

Just did a quick Google search and turned up this article from The Horse:

http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.asp?fid=3137&dpt=5

And a quick quote from the article:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just as with other natural intermediate hosts, horse owners should not try to eliminate the live raccoon population in their area. Saville made the point, "The live ones are fine, it’s the dead ones that are the problem--of which there can be many in places because of road kill." It is not yet clear to researchers whether any one intermediate host is more likely to be a factor in the spread of EPM than others.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

breezymeadow
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:43 AM
Good grief - you're just useing those Rubbermaid cans with the little locking handles???? And you want advice as to how to kill the racoon??

Wake up & smell the coffee. Those cans will barely keep dogs/cats out of them. You definitely need some lessons in "country trash keeping". And it doesn't make any difference as to what sort of trash is in the cans. Do you really think the racoon cares if it's leftover Sole Meuniere or a few empty cans???

Buy some serious trash cans, along with some serious heavy-duty bungy cords, & if all else fails, don't leave the friggin trash outside until the morning of trash collection, or the morning that you take the trash to the dump.

This is really simple common sense here. I'd try all of these before I started setting out pans of antifreeze. Geez.

Erin
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:46 AM
And some tips for keeping raccoons out of your trash:

http://doityourself.com/pest/raccoons.htm

Why not try some of those suggestions first?

Rye
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:52 AM
The poisoning idea bothers me, especially if they walk off somewhere and die, what if your dog decided to snack on it, could a dog be poisoned?

I'd get night-vision goggles, a rifle with a good sight(sp?) and shoot them dead.

lilblackhorse
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:53 AM
thank you Erin for pointing out the possum thing..I was going to do it, but you beat me to it. I was pretty shocked that she was more worried about the racoons too. Personally, I'd do my best to tidy up the property and make their life more difficult,especially since they aren't in the barn.

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 11:02 AM
Im puzzled about a live racoon not being able to transmit EPM if it has it.

AGAIN, I asked a questions and got several good answers and ideas. I ASKED if anti-freeze would work, I got an answer. Some others suggested drowning them. Other have stated they have eaten through wood to get to cans.

I will take your suggestions and modify my trash cans, I will work around them. I thank those of you who had suggestions...Erin thanks for the link.

Everyone else can un-wad your panties...the "cute little coons" will live to reak havoc another day...if not on my farm than on someone elses.
People these days have a really good way of making others with questions feel un-welcome and stupid for even asking. My stand on this..if I had this question than someone else probably did.

Goofy TB Mare
Jan. 22, 2004, 11:04 AM
You can try renting a "have a heart" trap. The anti freeze I'm sure will kill them, but I know in dogs that is a slow, painful death! If you were going to do that, I'd say just go ahead and shoot them.

http://community.webshots.com/user/chunkymonkey868

**Forever South**
**Bama's Blues** not mine but he's my babyboy!
**Brinkum's Cross**

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 11:05 AM
Are racoons and opossums natural enimies? Does one keep the other away...as a peacock keeps snakes away?

I have never seen an oppossum in the yard or pasture, they never seem to make it across the highway.

Hilary
Jan. 22, 2004, 11:06 AM
We've had raccoon problems over the years.

Shooting them is very effective - in fact we found that if you kill one, the rest get wise to the fact that you are serious about them not being watned, and they leave. It's also quick. I'm not sure about the antifreeze idea.

They carry rabies, and they make a huge mess, and they can eat huge amounts of feed which gets expensive.

Traps are tricky because you can get hurt, and it's likely that if you release it, it will just come back. One tore apart my tackroom from inside a trap one night. Everything he could reach was shredded. And he managed to reach just about everything that wasn't 4 feet off the ground.

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 11:10 AM
Thanks Hilary...they have hands that seem to reach everything...like a 5 year old child.
I do not want to be scratched while trying to transport the trap, or i dont want it to get out and come after me!

My co-worker has a doggy door for her cats...they come in through it and into her house! She said she was watching TV one night and it came in and sat down in front of the TV!

They are as smart as they are nasty.

Hilary
Jan. 22, 2004, 11:17 AM
Yes!! One used our cat door too!

My mom said she heard it flap then realized that both cats were accounted for and asleep. Guess who was having a snack at the catfood dish!!

We usually were lenient and only when they got this bold/obnoxious did we send them on their way.

Lord Helpus
Jan. 22, 2004, 12:02 PM
You can either deal with raccoons or have them tell you how to live yor life.

Before I began to kill them, I:

1. Bungee'd the tops of the grain cans closed -- no good
2. Built a heavy lid with hinges that sat flat on top of all the grain cans -- no good
3. Built full grain bins -- no good
4. Added hasps and locks to the full grain bins -- finally worked.

5. Stopped feeding the barn cats at night -- no good if the cats left any food from their morning feed
6. Started locking the cats in the work room at night with the remainder of their food -- no good, this was when they chewed through the board in the top of the supply closet and chewed through 8" of insulation to get into the room.
7. Began to pick up every kernal of cat food before dark and lock it all up (for obvious reasons, throwing old cat food away was not an option). - Solves cat food problem, but takes me 10 minutes on hands and knees every night. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

8. made sure that every possible food source was put away before bedtime (they were coming in through the doggie door) -- no good since they would get in the food cupboard and rip open boxes
9. Closed off the doggie door before dark -- no good, they learned how to push the sliding part up
10. Drilled holes and put lock on doggie door. Now doggies and I are all locked into the house at night.

GREAT! No raccoons in the house. Now they live in the hayloft and shit all over the place...

ANYONE who thinks that these animals should not be exterminated can come live at my place for a week. I feel as if I am in a war zone and am hunkered down into a bunker.

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather-who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."

jherold
Jan. 22, 2004, 12:23 PM
I haven't had a racoon problem since I installed dog fencing around the house going all the way to the barn and let the dogs stay out later in the evening. The racoons usually start coming around in the fall, attracted to the mulberry trees. Before the fence, they would meander down to the barn and make trouble. I guess my German Shepherds deter more than one type of theif!

I still get the occasional oppossum in the barn in the fall. I trap them and shoot them in the trap. I use a .22 target pistol. .22's are small enough to shoot through the squares in the trap. You can get a nice head shot. Safe for you, quick for the critter.

Here in Indiana, animal control does not deal with wildlife. They do not loan traps and they will not remove the vermin.

DQ Eventer
Jan. 22, 2004, 12:33 PM
The best way to keep raccoons away is to have a dog!!

Antifreeze works all to well - my dog died a slow, very painful death from the stuff that he probably got from a neighbor who was a mechanic. His kidneys shut down and he basically drown in his own body's toxins. Very ugly. And it is not immediate - if the poisoned animal goes into the woods to die, it can be eaten by other animals which will also be poisoned... please think about it...

If you are from GA, you probably know that UGA has a Frat House that specializes in killing and eating raccoons! You can probably contact Vince Dooley to get more information!!

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 12:39 PM
I am a good two hours away from Athens and I had no idea anyone would wnt to eat them. My luck the thing would be sick and get whomever ate it sick.

Leena
Jan. 22, 2004, 12:40 PM
I would vote for anti-freeze. Otherwise they will stick around, waiting for your garbages, looking for horse grains which they love to eat and ending up making nest into the hay.

The smaller one is always the female; bigger one the male.

theblue0utlaw
Jan. 22, 2004, 12:43 PM
breezymeadow wrote: "Buy some serious trash cans, along with some serious heavy-duty bungy cords"

I've tried this, they would either chew through the cords or pop them off. Before that they had chewed through the corner of my horse feed barrel (I use trashcans to store horse feed), but it wasn't big enough to get through. I guess they decided it was too hard, who knows. But they would pop off the cords, take the lid off and have at it. What was left in the morning my horses would get into and I'd have to worry about horses colicking. I solved the problem by more bungies (about 4 to a barrel) and locking them in a small storage shed. I'm thankful the 'coons haven't tried chewing through something to get in there.

If the racoons are a big menace, I say try trapping them and then shooting one while it's still in the cage, then burn the body. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Let us know what you decide and good luck!
&lt;3

--------------------
.-=Mandy & her crew=-.
-The Blue Outlaw- -Smokin Joe Man- -Mr Triple Jackpot-
.-="You tell a gelding, ask a mare and negotiate with a stallion."=-.
.-=Memeber of the Paint Hunter Clique=-.

Kels
Jan. 22, 2004, 12:46 PM
That is quite disgusting- why would you eat them when there are so many other types of non-infected animal meat out there? Ew.

-Kelsey-

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 12:49 PM
Have we decieded that burning the bodies would be ok?

I dont know what I'm going to do. I'm tired of dealing with it and they will soon figure out that there is feed in the barn...or the two year old will discover one and want to play and get her nose chewed up. Yet, I am flamed for being a beast because I want them dead.

What is the average life span of a coon?

jcotton
Jan. 22, 2004, 12:54 PM
I had a raccoon problem last spring. I used a have-a heart trap. Trapped them , then hauled to bone ditch and shot them before I dumped out and kicked them into the bone ditch. 6 dead raccoons later and I haven't had a problem for awhile except for the elusive skunk that around now and then.

Magnolia
Jan. 22, 2004, 12:57 PM
Raccoons are cute little buggers! Growing up, my dad always would feed the raccoons by hand and loved 'em! Quite gregarious and friendly critters.

That said, I can see how than can become a nuisance for someone with valuable animals, esp. if the carry disease. The anti-freeze sounds like a real bad idea, esp if the neighbors cat or dog gets in it. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/dead.gif Why not call a vermin control service - they'd probably have a sure-fire method and wouldn't let them go like the humane society? I'm sure you wouldn't be the first to have the problem and they'd have the best solution.

The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

Kels
Jan. 22, 2004, 01:01 PM
Raccoons? Nice? Are we talking about the same animals here?????????

Every coon I've had an encounter with was downright nasty.

-Kelsey-

saje
Jan. 22, 2004, 01:16 PM
No you're not being flamed for wanting them dead, your being flamed for wanting to poison them with antifreeze. It's a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE way to die! It can take up to 72 hrs. With liver and kidneys destroyed the body fills up with toxins causing vomiting diarrhea, seizures, you name it. Trap the guys and shoot them if you must, or call some wildlife trappers or rehabs and see what they have to say.

And get galvanized cans and double bungee the lids. I had 'coons in my barn because my barn was at the edge of their woods. They NEVER got my grain OR cat food out there, though if I left a cup or something the'yd have a field day with it.

Get one of those 'trash houses' for your galvinized trash cans, they work very well. Folks where I used to live in Maine have bear-proof cages that their trash cans go in. You CAN keep them out, it just takes a little doing.

Please please please don't poison them, you may be causing death to more animals than you think.

jherold
Jan. 22, 2004, 01:22 PM
The problem with vermin control services is that I could see it getting pretty pricy. We're not talking about just one rogue raccoon. .22's are real cheap. This is the country. As a good friend told me as she made me shoot my first racoon, "This is just part of living in the country. If you can't learn to take care of your own problems, you're better off in the suburbs."

Another example of "taking care of things on your own": We contacted the State Police because we had heard about an escaped fellon in the area, needed to go to the barn and wanted to know if he had been caught. We were told he had not and were advised to "take a gun."

Life is different when you live in the middle of no where and help is not 5 minutes away. You really can't afford to be too squemish. Shoot the raccoons and be done with it.

Erin
Jan. 22, 2004, 01:25 PM
I know someone here in Annapolis who has a whole family of raccoons that she feeds. They wait outside her house every night.

I've accidentally trapped raccoons on two occasions while attempting to trap feral cats. They didn't do a darn thing... just finished the food that was in the trap and then sniffed around looking for a way out. They both sat there and blinked at me when I found them, and scurried off into the woods as soon as I opened the trap.

They're wild animals, and I certainly wouldn't want one in my house and wouldn't want to corner one in a dark barn, but they're generally not going to mess with you or your horses. They're looking for food. Garbage, grain and pet food are all raccoon buffets... so eliminate their easy access.

I just fail to see what the big deal is about having some raccoons wandering around your property if they don't mess with anything. (And so far, the original poster's raccoons have only messed with garbage.) We had raccoons, foxes, oppossums, coyotes, deer, and all sorts of other critters who ambled through the yard occassionally. Personally speaking, as long as they aren't trying to take up residence in my house or my barn, I'd rather live and let live. It's not like they're going to sneak up behind you and bite you so they can give you rabies, you know. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Windsor
Jan. 22, 2004, 01:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by saje:
No you're not being flamed for wanting them dead, your being flamed for wanting to poison them with antifreeze. It's a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE way to die! It can take up to 72 hrs. With liver and kidneys destroyed the body fills up with toxins causing vomiting diarrhea, seizures, you name it. Trap the guys and shoot them if you must, or call some wildlife trappers or rehabs and see what they have to say.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I confess that I am a bleeding heart who likes to feed everything, but I have to chime in and agree here. I think cruelty is cruelty whether it's perpetrated on domestic animals or wildlife. I don't fault anyone for wanting to be rid of a pest, but I wouldn't wish antifreeze poisoning on any animal (even the ones who skipped charm school).

[This message was edited by Windsor on Jan. 22, 2004 at 05:17 PM.]

jilltx
Jan. 22, 2004, 01:31 PM
If you don't want 'coons around that's fine, you're entitled. Why would you make something suffer needlessly if there are other options available to you? Trap them and shoot them as quickly as possible. It's the humane thing to do.

~Jilltx
http://doobage.redirectme.net/horses/kelly2.jpg

"I wonder if they are using the same wind that we are using?" - The Princess Bride

Jan. 22, 2004, 01:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erin:
I just fail to see what the big deal is about having some raccoons wandering around your property if they don't mess with anything. (And so far, the original poster's raccoons have only messed with garbage.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree with you more.

If they present a greater nuisance (i.e. in your feed room or attacking your horses, which I doubt they will) then I would exhaust every humane alternative to alleviate the problem. Intentionally poisoning something with antifreeze is beyond cruel. I find it very disturbing that so many people have no problem with this. I have had problems with raccoons and agree that they can be scary, nasty creatures, but I would never for one second consider torturing one to death, which is what your antifreeze solution amounts to. Please find a humane way to deal with them as others have suggested.

Lord Helpus
Jan. 22, 2004, 01:47 PM
S'okay. It looks like I will have to buy my first gun. The guy who shot mine 18 months ago had a rifle. The advantage to it was that it was quite quiet and did not scare the horses.

If I were to buy a gun for killing raccoons, should I get a "handgun" or a rifle type gun?

If you are killing them in a cage, do you put the end of the gun in the cage right up against the thing's head? One would not want the bullet hitting the metal grid of the cage...

I cannot believe that I am even asking these questions. I swore I would NEVER own a gun.

But this BB is such a font of knowledge -- If I can find out whether or not it is OK to ride a horse over a drain field, I can find out anything here.

Frank B
Jan. 22, 2004, 02:07 PM
How 'bout a small-gauge shotgun? They're much more effecive at short range, and the shot doesn't travel nearly as far as even a .22 bullet will.

Check out the .410 or 20 gauge shotguns at your local Wally-World. There are even pistols available for the .410 shot shell.

Here's one manufacturer's shotgun primer course:
Remington Primer Course (http://www.remington.com/NR/exeres/00001157maiufmrcqvopprgd/sbc_begin.asp?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fsafety%2fsbc_begin%2ehtml&NRNODEGUID=%7b68FCF47B-3289-4BDE-BED7-2D9384DDAD3A%7d&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie%5Ftest=1)

A Google search on shotguns will produce more pages than you'll be able to look at in your lifetime! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

[This message was edited by Frank B on Jan. 22, 2004 at 05:32 PM.]

Two Toofs
Jan. 22, 2004, 02:28 PM
Use the have a heart trap (live trap) and then shoot them after you've trapped them so you can kill them easily with a good shot. Burn the bodies (recommended), or otherwise dispose of them so that no wildlife can get to the bodies. They will eventually quit coming after you've trapped and killed 3 or 4 of them.

Do NOT depend on your dogs to keep them away. Rabies aside, if a coon and a dog tangle, you have every right to expect your dog to come out the loser. They can (and will) rip open the belly of a dog in the blink of an eye.

Your concern regarding EPM and raccoons is that if there are dead raccoons on your property (which can carry the disease, but not give it to your horses), opposums will eat the infected carcass, contract EPM, and then give it to your horses. Raccoons are a link in the chain, but not a direct threat to your horses as far as EPM is concerned. Rabies is a whole other story, but our horses are vaccinated for rabies as well.

Two Toofs
(formerly - but still - NDANO)

Rivermeer
Jan. 22, 2004, 02:50 PM
I think that poisoning an animal is terrible, and it is a painful slow death, that no creature should have to face. And don't think there's any excuse that justifies this, and it is cruel. IF i personally had knowledge of anyone disposing of any animal in this way, I would make a few phone calls. Just the way I feel.

Heather

jherold
Jan. 22, 2004, 03:02 PM
I use a .22 gage Smith & Wesson (sp) handgun. It's a target pistol with a rubber grip. It's very accurate, so if I do happen to end up shooting something the "sporting way", I feel I'm more likely to hit the target. I use what they call short .22's. It's my understanding that they expand more rapidly in the animal and therefore kill it quicker. I'd go to the local gun store in your area and explain the problem. They'll be able to give you advice more specific to where you live i.e. registration laws in your state along with calliber and other gun recomendations (including safety). The gun I use was not bought for that purpose, but we asked our local gun smith what he thought would work. I do have dents in the trap's pan from the bullet, but it does not affect the working of the trap. I wear hearing protectors and stand back from the trap as far as possible without sacrificing control of the gun. The first two were hard. After that, it just became something unpleasant that needs doing.

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 03:11 PM
I ASKED if anti-freeze would work. I was told it would...then I was told of other ways to get rid of them.
Do not assume I am a nasty person because I ASKED if it would work. I have nevernor been around anyone or anything that has been posioned. I dont know how long it takes or what happens "internally" to the animal...my God, I am not a cruel person who goes around killing animals! I dont want to kill the dang thing but relocating it will not work! We used to do this to armadillos...we spray painted spots on them when we let them go...and low and behold they would find there way right back..5, 10, 15 miles they came from.

Sure,they are cute...but they are nasty and CAN carry diseases.

As far as pest control in this area...I called the county..they told me to look up a place in the phone book and pay someone to get rid of them.
I carry a pistol in my truck because the police in this county are far from effective..illegal...you bet!
There seems to be two sides...some say get rid of them, others say leave them alone UNTIL something happens.
Oh well, I have no idea what I will do with them.

Ghazzu
Jan. 22, 2004, 03:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hansiska:
Catch them in a Have-A-Heart trap, vaccinate them for rabies (if you can find a vet to do it, and no, it isn't customary, but it does make sense), and relocate them to some vast wilderness far from your home.

I'm the first to advocate shooting them if they exhibit any sign of disease, but the thought of just blowing them away because they're eating your trash grosses me out. Ditto on the antifreeze, which, incidentally, may appeal to your own pets.

(flame suit zipped)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doubt you'll find too many DVM's willing to risk their license by vaccinating wildlife without the proper permits, with a vaccine which is unapproved for that species. (No, it doesn't make sense.)
As for relocating them, howinhell do you think the Atlantic coast rabies epizootic got started?
A bunch of good ol' boys who illegally moved some wildlife so they could stock their hunting grounds. Some of the animals they moved had rabies...

It is illegal to trap and transport wildlife in many many places, and I'd lay bets that both the fisheries and wildlife and the public health folks would be really pissed about it, and justifiably so.

Tx jumper:
The antifreeze idea is hideous. Death from antifreeze poisoning is not pretty or painless.
Better to shoot or trap them.
If you haven't got the cojones for it, call a professional.

Unashamed member of the Arab clique...just settin' on the Group W bench.

breezymeadow
Jan. 22, 2004, 03:21 PM
Again - call the County back & ask them if poisoning animals with antifreeze is legal. Not only do I doubt they will say that it is, but they will probably tell you that you will be seriously fined if you do so.

It is & has been seriously environmentally unsound for MANY years. Where have you been?

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 22, 2004, 03:34 PM
Again...I ASKED if it would work! Again and Again...Im NOT going to posion the blasted things! I think I have made that clear in my posts!

stegall
Jan. 22, 2004, 03:37 PM
I have no problem with dispatching them,but I also would avoid using any type of poisen.

That being said, LH, flip through your phone book and head out to the local fish and game club if you have one. They can help you with proper gun ownership/handling, and might even be able to suggest a local sportsman to do the job. There are people who actually hunt raccoons for sport. Also, your local sporting store is also a good resource. I would not reccommend that you just buy a guy and attempt to snuff raccoons. You should take a safety course and read up first (although I am sure you will probably do some research). Your local sporting/hunting community can be a very useful resource.

I would like to note, in many states it is VERY illegal to relocate wild animals, especially raccoons. This is one of the reasons that we have had such a surge in rabies in the northeast in the last few years-raccoons that were infected were relocated.
In CT, they WILL prosecute you if you are caught relocating raccoons.
Shooting is often the better option. Although, I generally don't have a problem with mine, and only glimpse them once in awhile.

good luck to all of you with coon problems.

breezymeadow
Jan. 22, 2004, 04:35 PM
OKAY - & YES, ANTIFREEZE POISONING WILL WORK. However it is also illegal.

And I apologize if I missed whatever post you made where you decided not to use antifreeze as a solution.

MyShadeOfPink
Jan. 22, 2004, 04:45 PM
Whatever you decide to do, please make it humane for the raccoons (as annoying and horrid as they are) and safe for any other animals around.

I'd also suggest steel trash cans with somthing heavy on top of it... I'm not a country person, it just came to mind. Sorry if thats an insult to anyone....

Jennie
"all these lines fall short of what i had in mind
a failed attempt to capsulize a feeling
so i just try fail and try and try again"
See my albulm Updated 11/11 (http://community.webshots.com/user/myshadeofpink)

oskaar
Jan. 22, 2004, 04:48 PM
My neighbor traps them and drowns them in her pond. Occasionally she catches my bowling ball of a cat stuck in the cage, lazily munching peanut butter sandwichs. Quite the picture. However, I am pretty sure that it's illegal for her to drown them. I would also guess it is illegal to displose of them through the trash system (if you are anywhere close to a city). I believe you can call animal control, and they will come trap them and take them away. In all the places I have ever lived, "relocation" means they are going to take them somewhere to kill them (shoot, dorwn, euth, etc). Happened with my dad's raccoons, beavers, skunks, etc.

At the barn where I am now, the humane traps are near the barn when a raccoon has been spotted, and the guys shoot them on the spot when they're caught. I believe they are burned, but you have to be careful about city limits for that as well.

I would go for the animal control services if you have them. An animal controller is an elected official, paid by your tax dollars, so you may as well get your money's worth.

Now, he said he needs a Master CD to make copies. Is that like the brand? Aren't they all the same?-- my boss

jherold
Jan. 22, 2004, 04:56 PM
As far as legal, it depends on your zoning. I'm zoned agriculture in the state of Indiana. I pretty sure I can legally shoot nuisanse wildlife as long as they're on my property and their species is not considered endangered. Although raccoons actually do have a hunting season. But there is an old country adage about the three "S's"...

SHOOT, SHOVEL AND SHUT-UP.

Rivermeer
Jan. 22, 2004, 05:05 PM
I think drowning is aweful too! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif I would think shooting them would be the most humane. ANd i'm not advocating that either.

Heather

Lord Helpus
Jan. 22, 2004, 05:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stegall:
There are people who actually hunt raccoons for sport.... I would not reccommend that you just buy a guy and attempt to snuff raccoons.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO! I will know have been in Kentucky too long when I hunt raccoons for sport.

And I will formally acknowledge that I have no life if I buy a gun and start snuffing raccoons for fun.

I like that word -- snuff. It has a certain je ne sais quoi.

"What do you do for a living?"

"I am a raccoon snuffer."

Sounds almost classy..... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

hitchinmygetalong
Jan. 22, 2004, 05:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stegall:
There are people who actually hunt raccoons for sport.... I would not reccommend that you just buy a guy and attempt to snuff raccoons.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO! I will know have been in Kentucky too long when I hunt raccoons for sport.

And I will formally acknowledge that I have no life if I buy a gun and start snuffing raccoons for fun.

I like that word -- snuff. It has a certain je ne sais quoi.

"What do you do for a living?"

"I am a raccoon snuffer."

Sounds almost classy..... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LH, she said "buy a guy" not "buy a gun." Now there's an intriguing solution...

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship."
-Louisa May Alcott

Adelita
Jan. 22, 2004, 05:41 PM
LOL I didn't catch the gun/guy thing, either.

I used to live/board in Texas. The driveway into the ranch was a mile long, and at night it was FILLED with raccoons. Big, huge, fat, toddling, trundling raccoons who wouldn't get out of the way of my truck. The barn's pitbulls wouldn't even mess with them, they knew what raccoons could do to them.

If it were me, and I was really having a problem, I would shoot them. Then again, I used to go shooting at the range quite a bit and I am a good shot...

&gt;^.,.^&lt;

www.imom.org (http://www.imom.org)
501(c)3 all volunteer organization that helps those who cannot pay for veterinary care for their pets.

CanadianGolden
Jan. 22, 2004, 06:53 PM
Although I have trouble with killing anything, I'd use a gun. I define "humane" as fast and relatively painless--if they die right away they're not going to feel pain, are they?

Antifreeze is a fairly bad way to die, but drowning is worse. I could never, ever do that to an animal of any kind; too bad horror stories from the past of people drowning unwanted litters of puppies or kittens--horribly cruel. It makes me shudder.

=Future Johns Hopkins University Student=
=Member of the Only Child Clique=
=Member of the Teen Clique=

*You mean there was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?*

Pirateer
Jan. 22, 2004, 07:05 PM
A Blender. Definitely a Blender.

(T.I.C, of course http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Rebecca and Merritt's Crew (Cruiser)
http://www.bluffparkfarm.com
http://community.webshots.com/user/pirateer

Baileybff
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:11 PM
I came to this thread late...and even though I understand that you were only asking, even that gets my feathers ruffled. How could you even THINK of poisoning an animal with antifreeze? I can understand wanting them gone. I can understand shooting them. Ok, so the drowning thing bugs me a bit. The blender, that's priceless http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. I just don't see how anyone that has a heart for animals could dream of doing such a thing?!.
I know they can be a nuisence, a disease carrier and simply a PIA. A death sentence is a death sentence, yes...but the way I look at it is, the quicker the better. I understand that you would never be able to cart them all away. Get a gun and get some traps. That way you have a clear shot and they don't have to suffer if you don't "finish the job". Then, go dig some holes.
Natalie

"Show with C.L.A.S.S."
http://classcircuit.0catch.com/Index.htm
"A horse is a horse of course of course"...This person obviously never met MY horse!
*Who Knew*
*Frosted Flakes*

molliwog
Jan. 22, 2004, 10:25 PM
I grew up in rural Montana, and my solution to racoons is a "12 gauge" one. Nasty critters, and if they're determined, they can figure out a way to get into anything. I've seen them work together to dislodge 85 lb. landscape blocks to get into grain bins.

Now for my truly scary racoon story.

When I was a senior in High School, my mother and I were home alone. A coon wandered up our driveway looking not quite right and laid down near our front porch. The dogs wouldn't go near the thing- highly unusual for our Irish Setter and our Akita- they clearly sensed something amiss. Mom and I mananged to push the sick coon off the porch with a shovel down to the end of the driveway without actually touching it. I dispatched it with a shotgun. This was clearly not the firearm of choice for this purpose, but was the only ammo. available at the time- and better than bludgeoning with the shovel, which was the only other option we could come up with. My mother took one look at the coon and looked at me and whispered, "It's rabid, and we have to kill it."

Now comes the scary part. At that time, rabies was endemic in the cute, fuzzy, wild animal population in Montana. State vet comes and collects what's left of the racoon, tests brain and spinal cord material, and sure enough, it was rabid. Luckily, our dogs, horses, and our own house/barn cats all had been vaccinated, and we had the documentation to prove it. Since we never touched the coon with anything but the shovel, the vet didn't feel that my mother or I had been exposed. The worst part of the whole thing was that we had several barn cats that deposited in our out-buildings by random passers-by. This was a pretty common occurance near our farm. Every unwanted kitty should move to the country to be cared for by kind farmers, right????? No way we could have ever caught or vaccinated some of them- others were quite friendly and had clearly been housepets and could be picked up and cuddled. My father and I (by order of the state vet) had to catch every last one of those poor cats in humane traps and dispatch them with a 22. My mother was too attached to all of them to help us, and was devastated by the experience. It was one of the worst things I've ever had to do, and I've never thought kindly of racoons since then. I still have nightmares about the cats. And that wasn't the end of it...Three weeks later, our neighbor had a yearling filly that began exhibiting neuro. symptoms. The filly worsened rapidly in spite of the best efforts of their vet, and had to be euthanized. Analysis of the brain and spinal tissue showed the filly had died of rabies as well. Shortly or so before her death, our neighbors noted that the filly had some sort of animal bite on her nose.As a weanling she came to the barn once with a face full of porcupine quills, so the inquisitive filly had a history of sticking her little nose where it should not have been. I always wonder if it was the same coon that wandered up our driveway that bit the filly. All of their cats/dogs were vaccinated for rabies, but the entire FAMILY had to go through a series of painful intraperitoneal (in the stomach) injections as a result of their contact to the sick filly. Their other horses had to be quarrantined. Rabies is not common in horses, so no one made an immediate connection until the filly was near death.

So my take home lesson- vaccinate all pets, including horses against rabies, no matter where you live, and no matter how silly your vet thinks it is. I'm always amazed that the same vet who insists I vaccinate my dogs and cats for rabies looks at me like I'm a lunatic when I tell him to vaccinate my horse. Oh...and I and keep racoons off the property- 12-gauge solution still works just fine.

Beezer
Jan. 22, 2004, 11:10 PM
I gotta admit, I'm with the "Aw, what cute critters" crowd, but that is most likely because the ones I've encountered are surburban raccoons, and they apparently come equipped with better manners than their country cousins. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

So, needless to say, it was with great trepidation that I opened this thread. The antifreeze idea made me cringe in utter horror, so I am glad to see that you've backed away from that idea. If they have to go the ultimate go, I guess I'd have to opt for the trapping and shooting -- I can't imagine drowning them (though heaven knows I usually agree with everything Pam/Lord Helpus says and does!).

Still, if nothing else, this thread has caused me a chuckle over envisioning Pam out trying to buy herself a guy to snuff some raccoons for her.... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

***** Currently assigned to the mouth-gaping, lip-flapping, head-twisting, wood-chewing, boot-shredding phase of baby greenie ownership! *****

CanadianGolden
Jan. 23, 2004, 02:39 AM
We were attacked by a rabid one once. It chased us around our property and tried to attack our friend; even when she was beating it with a shovel, it kept trying to get to her. I was trapped in a horse trailer with one of the dogs for an hour or so, and whenever I tried to break for the house it was there and I would have to run back--VERY scary. Of course the cats were outside, and the horses...did I mention this was at 10 pm, and the thing was attracted to light? I tried to run to the house once, and just as I got there, my mother, who had finally gotten inside, screamed for me to get away--it was prowling around the light just outside the door.

Finally we got the police out and they eventually found it (we had decided we couldn't find it and the officer was driving out when we heard shots-- it had tried to attack his car as he drove down the (long) driveway).

Scariest thing that has ever happened to me...just like being in a nightmare.

I still think raccoons are cute http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

=Future Johns Hopkins University Student=
=Member of the Only Child Clique=
=Member of the Teen Clique=

*You mean there was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus?*

HunterUnderSaddle
Jan. 23, 2004, 05:18 AM
Oh my goodness CanadianGolden! What a nightmare. That is the freakiest story http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Phaxxton
Jan. 23, 2004, 07:04 AM
I am coming to this thread really late, and I will admit that I haven't had a chance to read the entire thing...

But I just wanted to say this. Yes, racoons are disgusting, disease-carrying, annoying, dangerous animals. This is no way means that they deserve to die an inhumane, slow, and painful death. That is exactly what anti-freeze will do to them. Not to mention the fact that it's a hazard to any potential loose pets in the neighborhood who might wander onto your property unsuspectingly... or to a loose horse not caught in time.

I'm not trying to flame the original poster, who seems to have abandoned the idea of poisoning them with antifreeze, but I am beyond disgusted that anyone would think of poisoning any animal like this. Trap them and shoot them in the traps. Is it really that much harder to kill them quickly?

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 23, 2004, 07:21 AM
Well, I set up a trap last night. Nothing. They must not like Snickers bars.

When you shoot them...I am worried of it "moving" and missing it, or hitting the wires of the cage instead. Should I simply put the muzzle as close to its head as possable and pull the trigger? Rabies is carried in the blood...right? I will need to clean the cage and any other spot that might get blood on it...should I use bleach to do this?

Any recomendations on what to put in the cage...I tried a snickers bar...the mice seem to like them when I put them in the traps in the barn.

Tom King
Jan. 23, 2004, 07:44 AM
A .410 shotgun is a handy gun to have, especially if your have neighboring houses close by. The "kids" single shot .410 is a surprisingly accurate little gun. You can buy one at Walmart for less than $100. I still have the one that I have had since I was 9 years old (1959).

To me, poisoning is a cruel way to kill anything and is definately not as selective or as quick and painless as a head shot. My preferred tool for varmits is a .22 Mag or the newer .17 HMR. Both are accurate enough for head shots to varmits up to about 150 yards.

If you have a partner get one of these for nightime varmit elimination. http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0010885515151a&navAction=jump&navCount=4&indexId=cat20164&podId=0010885&catalogCode=IE&parentId=cat20164&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20712&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.2_A&_DAV=http%3A%2F%2Fa1460.g.akamai.net%2Ff%2F1460%2F 1339%2F6h%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fconte nt%2FPod%2F01%2F08%2F85%2Fp010885ii01.jpg&hasJS=true

If you are alone get one of the Red lights that mount on the gun--also available from Cabela's.

For those of you that might have anything to say about having guns on the farm--TOUGH. We are even personal friends with the Brady family. When you live as far as we do from the "local" (45 minutes away at best--who knows as usual) law enforcement establishment and you need to dial 911 because of trouble 911 better be the combination to your gun safe.

Anyone who is uncomfortabale handling a gun and is even too shy to go to a safety class is welcome to come here and we will teach you how to handle one safely and shoot accurately. It's definately not something you want to do if you are nervous even having one in your hand. We have a very safe range to shoot on. It's like any skill--there is no substitute for practice.

Julz
Jan. 23, 2004, 08:26 AM
Well, four down and I am hoping that the rest left. I have had several families of coons in my stable, tearing things up (the ceiling for instance) They never bothered the trash- however, they'd come out and confront me while cleaning stalls, or riding in the arena.

A borrowed .22 with fragmenting bullets are the best. The bullet splits into three distinct pieces and will not penetrate the roof of the building- a concern since they were living in the soffits of my arena and stable. Nail those suckers and then burn them.

I even went so far (jokingly) as to take the skeltal remains and put them on little sticks to ward off any new visitors. *evil grin...* I don't know if the latter actually worked, but after 6mos. of trying to trap them (humanely) it was obvious that these had been trapped and released before as there was no activity in the traps- even with smoked salmon for bait! I hired an experienced trapper/exterminator who works for the DNR ( licensed at vermin removal) and he also came to the conclusion that the gun was going to be the only solution.

BTW- most animal control officers will not dispose of racoons- no pick up, no help.

Julz- of the "I hate Racoons club"

Two Toofs
Jan. 23, 2004, 08:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by relocatedTXjumpr:
Well, I set up a trap last night. Nothing. They must not like Snickers bars.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've found a handful of sweetfeed and an apple to be irresistable to the varmits.

My boss shots them the cage, but I never stick around to watch that part. I do, however, give them a "last meal", water & cover the cage with a large old towel while they are waiting (seems to calm them).

Another tip is to set the trap on a nice thick layer of old feed sacks. When they get caught in the cage, they tend to mess all over the place during the night. Makes for easy clean up (burn the sacks).

Two Toofs
(formerly - but still - NDANO)

jherold
Jan. 23, 2004, 10:11 AM
Maybe make a trail of food(I use cat food) into the trap. I sometimes have to do this to trap the 'possums. I've also hear that raccoons can't resist marshmellows. Leave a nice trail of mini marshmellows in to the trap. Kind of sound like Hansel and Gretel...

Lord Helpus
Jan. 23, 2004, 10:50 AM
Good, smelly canned cat food works for me. Just make sure all the cats are locked up or that is all you will catch.

Last year in Southern Pines, my doggie Shelby found a raccoon wandering by the pond in the middle of the day. The farm handyman told me to get her away, because any raccoon which is out in daylight is sick.

Have other people heard that?

Speaking of Shelby, she is my little ole raccoon catcher. She has caught several of them and I have had to grab her and shout at her to get her to release them. EEEWWWWWW! But so far she has not been bitten and I do keep her rabies shots very up to date.

As far as guns go, I am interested in any gun with bullets that will not go through a roof, but will kill a raccoon. Sometimes I will go out for a late night check and the 'coons have gotten so bold that they are already in the work room, eating cat kibble. When I go in, they run behind the sink to hide. They would be easy to kill there (I have banged them on the head with a broom handle, in an attempt to get them out of the work room. But they buggers will not move.) But I do not want to shoot holes in my [stainless] sink.

Erin
Jan. 23, 2004, 10:52 AM
Zipping up my flame suit, and preparing to be totally, completley blunt...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by relocatedTXjumpr:
Well, I set up a trap last night. Nothing. They must not like Snickers bars.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad you ditched the antifreeze idea, but can I just ask... have you taken any further steps to keep the raccoons out of your trash? Have you had ANY other problems with the raccoons, other than their getting into trash?

So far, you've said that you no longer put food in the trash cans, and that they have a locking lid. Good... but those Rubbermaid trash cans with the flip-up handles probably wouldn't even keep out a determined dog (who doesn't have the benefit of a raccoon's nimble paws http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ). Why don't you simply try other methods of securing your trash before killing them?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When you shoot them...I am worried of it "moving" and missing it, or hitting the wires of the cage instead.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're not a good enough shot to be reasonably certain you can shoot an animal in a trap, why don't you get someone who IS to do it for you? Not to be morbid, but I've heard plenty of stories of people taking three or four tries to shoot and kill a relatively immobile animal. Not a very humane way to go...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Rabies is carried in the blood...right? I will need to clean the cage and any other spot that might get blood on it...should I use bleach to do this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe rabies is carried in blood... I believe it's transmitted through saliva, which is why it's transmitted by biting.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/

That said, I'd still wear gloves and disinfect everything afterward.

I don't have a problem with killing wildlife that are truly dangerous or a nuisance, but to be perfectly blunt, it seems like you'd rather kill these critters than go through the trouble of securing your trash. I'd be a lot more sympathetic if you'd already tried everything under the sun and they were STILL getting into the garbage, eating all your grain, having raccoon parties in the rafters of your barn, etc...

Just MHO.

bigbay
Jan. 23, 2004, 10:54 AM
I have been told ever since I was little to stay away from a raccoon that is out in the daylight. The few that I have seen out in the daylight certainly did look sick.

"Today I will ask so much of her, ask her to leave her equine world and join mine. And if I am very good today- if I am a true horsewoman- she will be happy that I pulled her away from her green grass, her friends, and everything that makes her life happy and secure." - Bo Derek

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 23, 2004, 11:11 AM
I am not sure if they have made it into the barn. I have found teeth marks, as if somthing had been chewing on the grain bins. I put out some mouse posion and it seems to have stopped. Although I found a squrril tail in there...hmmmm.

they are getting into the trash, and have been. they have also been in the garage...climbing in the bed of my truck as said before. I have moved the trash into my outside laundry room. I didnt do this before because if they get in there I was afarid they would like the warmth and take it as their own little apartment. This room has a locking door to the outside of the carport as well as to the inside of the mud room. If they get in the outside door they might be able to get into the house. We will see. They have indeed been down to the pasture by the barn. Feed buckets have seemed to learn how to walk in the past few weeks. Maybe because of the lack of food in the trash http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I will say the one is HUGE. I dont know if I scared him as bad as he scared me...but he about gave me a heart attach the other night! He was on top of the trash, attempting to yank the lid off, when I walked out to see what the noise was...he jumped off the can, tipping it over, and then hig tailed in through the pasture. I was sure it was a boogy man. I dont know that he would fit in the cage..i mean this thing is HUGE!

I am a good shot. I was raised with guns and am a life time member of the NRA. I have been to shooting ranges and such. I have never shot an animal, or attempted to shoot one. If I am going to kill it I dont want to take the chance of missing...which is why I asked the best way to go about it.

Erin
Jan. 23, 2004, 11:23 AM
So... you have solved the trash problem by moving it into the laundry room, which has a locking door. Have you had any problems since then?

And whatever has tried to get into your grain isn't trying to anymore, so that isn't a problem at the moment.

So you're going to shoot the raccoons because they've been in your pasture and moved your buckets?

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 23, 2004, 11:26 AM
I just moved the trash into the laundry room lastnight, so we will see if they attempt to chew on the door. They could stick their hands underneith and try to shake it loose....my inside cat does this to get into shut rooms. We will have to wait and see.

Hopefully they will get bored and move on. If they dont and start gnawing away at the house or barn then they have to go.

mwalshe
Jan. 23, 2004, 11:47 AM
why on earth don't people have metal trash cans with bungys if you live in the country? That's de rigeur. As well as keeping them inside until trash day.

And keeping feed in plastic bins is just asking for a rat problem, never mind wildlife. yuk. Metal lined bins are mandatory. The best feed bins are old chest freezers IMHO. Cheap and mighty effective.

Better not move someplace with bears! lol...

Tha Ridge
Jan. 23, 2004, 01:09 PM
Wow...I'm surprised so many people are against using anti-freeze to kill them or even killing them at all.

Your horses must not been a lot, huh? If I ever saw a raccoon near by barn, I would go out and club the damn thing with a golf club or kill it with my bare hands if it kept my horses from getting EPM.

- L.

It's all about the act right.

breezymeadow
Jan. 23, 2004, 01:15 PM
Tha Ridge - I can only assume that you are very, very young if you can't see why using antifreeze to kill animals is incorrect. Not only is it illegal because of what it does to the groundwater table, but it also has the extreme potential to harm any number of innocent animals outside of whatever it is you are "trying" to kill.

And I also take EXTREME offense of your assumption that just because we all aren't out there clubbing raccoons to death with golf clubs, that our "horses don't mean a lot to us".

Grow up, dear. Or at least try to be a little more informed before you post on a controversial subject.

vxf111
Jan. 23, 2004, 01:17 PM
&lt;&lt;Wow...I'm surprised so many people are against using anti-freeze to kill them or even killing them at all.&gt;&gt;

Because if you put out antifreeze, all the local cats and dogs will drink it if they find it. End of story. It smells sweet and attracts animals. Once they've got it in their system, there's little a vet can do but watch them suffer or euthanize them. Nor should it be left sitting around to potentially get into the groundwater. I vote for trapping and shooting which at least minimizes risk to other animals who aren't a nuisance.

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"
"Sustained"

Jan. 23, 2004, 01:24 PM
Ditto everything breezymeadow said. She worded that much more diplomatically than I would have.

Windsor
Jan. 23, 2004, 01:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tha Ridge:
Wow...I'm surprised so many people are against using anti-freeze to kill them or even killing them at all.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What surprises the hell out of me is that people can presumably have so much compassion for one animal (horse) and so little for another.

MyShadeOfPink
Jan. 23, 2004, 01:38 PM
This is NOT against you TX it is just a general statement

Killing any animal with antifreeze is CRUEL. It killst eh animal slowly, painfully, and without any mercy. It is horrid and rediculous to do this to an animal. To me it sounds like a dumb and unthought out plan.

I will now step off of my soap box

Jennie

stegall
Jan. 23, 2004, 02:17 PM
Sorry LH, I read your response at work, and had no idea I had a typo into guy instead of gun. Unfortunately, I read that (I was supposed to working) when I had a mouthful of coke, and came close to strangling on it (soda in your sinuses is truely painful).
So, I meant gun, but buying a guy to snuff the coons is also a good idea I think.

I might consider selling you my husband, and while he is not a hunter of animals, he does very well at trap and skeet.
http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As for shooting in the cage, I'm not experienced in that regard, so I would consult with a local sport club.

I myself generally have no issues with wildlife, I do have coyotes on my property as well as possums and coons. And as for clubbing all species just on sight-I think thats a bit extreme. Just because you kill one, does not mean that others will not come wandering through your pasture. And, they are not the only hosts. With that type of response, you may as well just drop a nuke on your property and wipe out everything. There is an ecology to things, and many things (including humans thanks very much) carry diseases and cause harm.

Not that I don't sympathize with Lord Helpus and her hotel for wayward wildlife. Now, in that situation, the destruction and acts of blatant disregard by the coons towards LH, would also cause me to agree with sending them to the recycle bin in the sky.

When I was living in FL, I had a problem with a feral sow. Now, baby domestic piggies, they be cute. But, adult sow feral piggies, they be ugly. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

This 600lb feral sow decided to break down my feedroom door one day and rip open the grain bins. She also knocked over fences by rubbing on them, dug holes in the pasture, and caused all other sorts of damage and ruckus. She was also a danger to me and the little animals.
Therefore, I contacted a friend (ex vietnam sniper and hunter of deer) and asked him for help. He came out and dropped momma piggie with one shot (who at this point had 6 babies in tow) and we had bacon for weeks http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Babies went to a friends farm up the road (also to be bacon).

So, the moral to the story-find someone capable to be the official snuffer and do what is necessary, but do it right. I would not advocate any sort of poison, or even random killing just because they are seen. However, if damage or danger occurs, then be responsible about it.

Also as an FYI, bleach is the cleaner of choice, and gloves and shovels should be used on carcasses. Rabies, EPm, raccoon roundworm and a host of other things are transmitable.
Bodies should not be thrown in trash, but buried deep with lime, or burned (with masks used). If buried, do NOT bury near a well/water source.

OH, and LH, if you don't want to buy my husband, then you can sell tickets and bill yourself as a roadside zoo. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Its a nice extra income..... http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

Jsalem
Jan. 23, 2004, 02:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Windsor:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tha Ridge:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What surprises the hell out of me is that people can presumably have so much compassion for one animal (horse) and so little for another.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said, Windsor. I'm reading this thread in amazement. If I had to kill an animal because it posed a real threat to my family (including animals) I could- but it would be with regret and sadness and hopefully, compassion. I have seen animals die from anti-freeze poisoning- it broke my heart. I couldn't sleep at night if I subjected any of God's creatures to such a death. No thanks.

"Everyone has special circumstances. Trot on....."

Ghazzu
Jan. 23, 2004, 04:12 PM

Your horses must not been a lot, huh? If I ever saw a raccoon near by barn, I would go out and club the damn thing with a golf club or kill it with my bare hands if it kept my horses from getting EPM.

.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sweetcheeks, have you ever seen an animal die of ehthylene glycol toxicity?
It is painful and ugly.

Being opposed to employing an inhumane indiscriminate method of pest control, which has every chance of also killing non-target animals is a *very* different matter from being unwilling to kill a raccoon.

My horses mean a great deal to me. Killing every raccoon in sight is not going to keep them from getting EPM, though.

Maybe you should put the golf club away and pick up a couple of good books.

Oh, and I'd pay good money to see you do in a full grown 'coon with your bare hands.

alabama
Jan. 23, 2004, 04:33 PM
I carry a pistol in my truck because the police in this county are far from effective..illegal...you bet!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it illegal to carry a pistol in GA?? I always take one with me when I travel and have passed through GA to SC for a Ray Hunt clinic, tried to take Natchez on a horse camping trip in GA (horse and trailer had a fight so we didn't go) and this May I'm going to a clinic above Atlanta. I really don't want to leave my pistol at home so it can be prey to another burgler. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Rivermeer
Jan. 23, 2004, 04:38 PM
I hate to sound so mean, but......some of the responses on this thread, reminds me that in todays world, people think of it as a disposable society. I'm not just talking about innocent animals, raccoons, possums, whatever. It seems to be a trend, and i'm referring to kids, grandparents that can't take full care of themselves. We throw kill the pests, give the kids to our parents to raise, and throw grandma and grandpa in the nursing home. I have read all of the "horror" stories regarding the raccoons, and maybe i'll get flamed for this, but, I really don't believe half of what was posted. Some of it sounds like it should be a Stephen King novel.

Heather

Ghazzu
Jan. 23, 2004, 04:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rivermeer:
Some of it sounds like it should be a Stephen King novel.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want Stephen King, you should have seen my henhouse the morning after the 'coons pried the window out of the frame and ripped the throats out of *all* my chickens.

I wouldn't have minded one or two, so much--everyone has to eat, after all--but this was pure carnage.

That said, I won't kill a 'coon for simply existing, but when they start messing with my establishment, they're history.

Riven
Jan. 23, 2004, 05:19 PM
I'm not advocating this but I've heard that fly bait drops them 10 feet from where they ate it. Relocation doesn't work they just come back. As far as harmless animals go, a coon may have been responsible for the bite on my weanling's front leg last year. This bite broke both his splint bones and infected his cannon bone. The creature left a black hair embedded in my baby's bone. I found it hard to believe a raccoon could do that but according to the University that operated on my horse, it is not unheard of. I don't want raccoons anywhere near my house. I forgot to add that my neighbours bring their dogs over every day for a swim in my pond. Unfortunately the dogs encountered a coon down there one day. The coon climbed on the back of one of the dogs (I've heard they do this to bite through the spinal column and to drown the dog). Luckily the dog escaped with only some nasty cuts.

[URL=http://www.rivendellfarms.ca]www.rivendellfarms.ca[/URL

[This message was edited by Riven on Jan. 23, 2004 at 08:27 PM.]

Rivermeer
Jan. 23, 2004, 05:41 PM
I'm not saying people here shouldnt protect their lively hood, but, there is a lot of myths and misconceptions here. For gods sake in most cases its a nusiance. It just does not justify "disposing" of any living creature. People can tell their stories and try and justify their reasons, but i'm not buying it. period. The most dangerous animal I have ever come in contact with is human.

Heather

ExRacer
Jan. 23, 2004, 07:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rivermeer:
The most dangerous animal I have _ever_ come in contact with is human.

Heather<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank you!

I am utterly disgusted after reading through this topic. This is not a dig at the original poster, but rather the inhumane ways some of you are advocating to kill this creature. I understand not wanting it in your garbage and such, but this is a wild animal thrown into a world created by humans. It is doing its best to survive.

If anyone feels the need to kill them, for whatever reason, do it humanely! How can you care so much for one animal (your horse, your dog) and so little for another??? That is one thing that has always amazed me about society.

It's a living, breathing animal, just like that horse in your backyard. It deserves, at the very least, a humane death. If you had to put your dog or your horse to sleep, would you poison it (perhaps by tossing a bunch of anti-freeze in its food) or drown it? Does that very thought horrify you?

Think outside the box, people. Just because you dislike these animals, doesn't make it okay to torture it. Horses and dogs aren't the only animals in the world. And neither are humans - we just act like we are! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

~Shanon... caregiver to "the Perdster" http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
member of the College, Disgruntled College Student, The Mighty TB, OTTB, and Michigan cliques... founder of the "I'm broke and still ride" clique!

[This message was edited by ExRacer on Jan. 23, 2004 at 11:02 PM.]

MyShadeOfPink
Jan. 23, 2004, 08:26 PM
RelocatedTXJmper you always seem to start the controversies around here http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Good for you for trying to find the best way BTW.

While I hate the thought of an animal being killed, sometimes certain things no one wants to happen have to happen. I'm glad to know you'll be doing it in the most humane way possible.

Carpe Diem everyone http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jennie

jherold
Jan. 23, 2004, 10:43 PM
To Alabama about gun transport laws. Each state has different laws. In Indiana, you can easily get a concealed carry permit. Without a permit, I can transport a firearm in a locked case. I believe it can be loaded. (at least I hope so, I occasionally assist one of my squeemish girlfriends and her raccoon/opossum troubles). In Illinois, you can transport in a locked case, but you can't transport the ammo in the case. That's a felony.

goodhors
Jan. 24, 2004, 04:35 PM
Sure is interesting to read about all the reasons why NOT to bother the raccoons, wild animals, why it is ALWAYS the fault of the people.
Some animals are more adapable to living conditions than others, just change their methods of living. Opossums and Raccoons are VERY adaptable to all sorts of conditions, so are mice and rats. We find all four species in the big CITY, gladly digging out food from the trash, moving into unused spaces of any kind.

My mom had some coons move into her attic. They took advantage of an overhanging branch to rip open a roof vent. Subsequent attic, ceiling, roof damage, stink, repairs ran into thousands. This was also in the city, not close to rural. She did not have trash available, but the coons run the neighborhood. Exterminator was not cheap. Her GSD killed some possums that came thru her fenced in yard. Killed one in the garage.
Of course it was all her fault these animals attacked her house, came within contained area. They NEED her space.

I want nothing to do with varmints in my yard or barn area. They are not invited guests, or pets. They are opportunistic, tear up anything that gets in their way. They don't care about you, how much time or effort you put into buying something. Raccoons are especially strong, clawed, 40 pound, nasty terrors, very fast.
Possums will attack, eat anything. How would you like to be greeted by your skinned cat, dead on the floor? It happened to me! Blech! She was a nice gentle cat, never did anything mean. I guess the possums who were eating her, were just hungry? I pitchforked them. Believe it or not. The nasty stories can get much worse, though luckily did not happen to me. I regularly hear about coons and possums ripping open screens, trashing houses in the country. They scale the porch pillers to go in upstairs rooms, just destroy things, poop on things.
Raccoons will easily kill small or large dogs, cat they can catch. Bite out the throat. Dog has to be a bit of a fighter, Goldens often don't stand a chance. Dead pretty fast, don't figure it out quick enough.

We find cat food to be good bait in live trap. Cats are usually too small to trip the spring when they investigate. If they do, we just reset trap and let cat out. I have a shovel handle with a strong hook end to pick up the cage. I am not getting physically close to it. We anchor our trap between a couple heavy things, or in center of aisle, so coon can't pull himself around. I keep an old water tank full to drop the whole cage trap into for drowning. Goes very quickly, less than a couple minutes. No I don't watch, but I do leave it in water for about 1/2 hour. Tank is only for dropping in cages.
I am not putting a gun into a cage and shooting. I have poor accuracy with a gun. Can't miss with the water tank. I think it is fairly humane, quick, no mess. Sorry, I am not a gun person, though I have wanted one occasionally for a varmint, after finding damaged things.

If you have not had to deal with varmints, you have no basis to stand on, with problems they create. Easy to point and say "bad, bad people" when you have not had to try fixing up results. Damaged horses, equipment, animals, is really hard to face on any day. Would you willing expose your beloved pets to these dangers? Easier to love the fuzzy animal you know, they're family, need protection.

Cuteness sells, raccoons are cuter than rats. Don't smell bad like skunks, though the same diseases inhabit their bodies. Possums, Raccoons, rats and mice carry stuff on themselves too, despoil places they bed down. Not like they just pause in your hay pile, grain rooms.
How friendly would you be to having a skunk visit, look at you in the aisle? Skunk bites gave several horses rabies this summer, in our state. Skunks decided to come in the barn, fought STALLED horses for the grain. Pushy horses got bit, had to be killed. Tested positive.

My house, barn, yard, I pay to keep and maintain. Try to be organic, no horrid sprays, treatments, stuff to poison them, attract them. We try to be wildlife friendly, plants for birds, bugs. No varmints allowed inside MY parts, dangerous for both of us. Those varmints who are not shy enough to leave, are removed. Sick animals are the ones who don't run, snarl at you. Animals need to be wary, not stay to stare back at me, go live in their own places. Those unwary kind are trouble.

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 24, 2004, 06:08 PM
Shade of pink...I know! I guess its because if I have a question or comment I just go out and ask....not always the smartest thing!

Anywho, I just got back from land shopping, so I havent had time to read through all of the new posts...but a bit of a response and update....

It is illegal to carry a weapon in your car...it IS NOT illegal to carry one on you, with a permit of course. This does vary by state I think. I keep mine within hand reach in a holster attached to the bottom of my truck seat. I had a friend car-jacked out of the local wal-mart parkinglot sevearl years ago....if they want me or my truck, THEY BETTER WANT IT BAD!

I want to thank EVERYONE for all the great response. Someone had said my orgianal idea might not have been thought out very well...no, it wasnt at all. I explained earlier that I do not know how anti-freeze kills an animal, i just know it will. I have since placed the cans inside...i also placed a metal can INSIDE the rubbermaid can...both with the lids bungied closed. That seems to have stopped them for the time being.

For whoever said they would catch one and club it to death...let me tell you...Papa raccoon is HUGE! This thing must weight upwards of 20 pounds!

So, I will go back through and read the rest of the posts...and reply on any questions I might have missed.

Thanks again....and PLEASE JINGLE FOR ME, WE JUST MADE AN OFFER ON 11 ACRES IN THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS!

~~B

ExRacer
Jan. 26, 2004, 10:36 AM
goodhors- not sure if that was directed towards me or not, but what I meant by my post was not to NOT get rid of them, but to do it humanely (by not poisoning/drowning them)

relocatedTXjumpr- any new developments?

~Shanon... caregiver to "the Perdster" http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
member of the College, Disgruntled College Student, The Mighty TB, OTTB, and Michigan cliques... founder of the "I'm broke and still ride" clique!