PDA

View Full Version : clear span - covered round pens???

entourage4us
Apr. 16, 2010, 04:01 PM
Anyone have any experience with these? I am in NH and we can get a lot of snow. Wondering how they hold up and how horses and riders enjoy them? Any opinions would be great!

entourage4us
Apr. 17, 2010, 04:22 PM
Bump... Anyone???

Apr. 17, 2010, 08:23 PM
Coverall, the largest manufacturer of clearspen buildings, just went bankrupt after there was an accident at the Dallas cowboy's training camp last year where a clearspan building collapsed. The involving lawsuits have bankrupt the company. So I would hesitate to buy a clearspan building of any kind.

wsmoak
Apr. 17, 2010, 08:40 PM
Clearspan to me usually means steel I-beams and metal sheathing. I don't think that's what Coverall was.

I'm talking to Freedom Steel about a 40x60 structure for a barn... I'm sure they could do 65x65 to cover a round pen.

Or does "covered round pen" mean something special?

DancingQueen
Apr. 17, 2010, 11:09 PM
I've seen a covered track around a smaller (dressage measurement)outdoor ring. The covered track was about 20 ft wide and surrounded the ring. Great for bad weather since it gave a much larger area to ride in then a small covered roundpen would and the ring inside of the track was nicely shielded from wind. We used the covered track a lot for young horses or just for canter work too.

It seems to be the with of the ring that causes the cost to rise so a larger area where the outside track was covered and the middle open might be a good year round solution?

DancingQueen
Apr. 17, 2010, 11:12 PM
http://www.flyinge.se/OmFlyinge/Anl%c3%a4ggningen/Karta.aspx

go to this link and click the number 17 on the map for a picture. It seems it's actually a little bigger then I remember it. Useful nonetheless!

kealea31
Apr. 18, 2010, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't buy one. The one at my barn is from farmtec. It had caved in after a snow storm, when it was less than a year old. Farmtec did come right out and fix it the next day, and said they have never had this happen before. However, I have heard of similar problems from other people. It is now 2 years old, and I noticed some rips in the canvas the other day. It is also too small to ride tall horses in because of the cieling height on the sides. It is fine for my ponies, but forget the 17h hanovarian. We have a vet hospital, so it is mostly used for lameness evals.

Cindyg
Apr. 18, 2010, 12:36 AM
I've seen a covered track around a smaller (dressage measurement)outdoor ring. The covered track was about 20 ft wide and surrounded the ring.

Wow. What an interesting idea! Thanks for sharing.

I'll never have an indoor riding arena. But I wonder if a strip would be possible...?

redears
Apr. 18, 2010, 12:42 AM
What about an indoor with a round pen in it? I know someone who has a moveable round pen in her indoor arena.

entourage4us
Apr. 18, 2010, 08:56 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! It really gives me something to think about. I like the covered track idea :)

I had not heard of the bankruptcy but I appreciate the info. I was curious how it held up in snow, I thought that could happen, glad to hear they fixed it right away though.
Thanks for the opinions!

wsmoak
Apr. 18, 2010, 10:47 PM
I've seen a covered track around a smaller (dressage measurement)outdoor ring. The covered track was about 20 ft wide and surrounded the ring.

Now THAT is a clever idea!

theoldgreymare
Apr. 19, 2010, 03:08 PM
Clearspan to me usually means steel I-beams and metal sheathing. I don't think that's what Coverall was.

I'm talking to Freedom Steel about a 40x60 structure for a barn... I'm sure they could do 65x65 to cover a round pen.

Or does "covered round pen" mean something special?

Just to give you an idea of steel prices......Just got a quote from Freedom Steel for a tiny 70 x 100' covered arena (not indoor). It was almost $33k which does not include installation.

OP...FarmTek sells a fabric covered round pen for less than
$25K. Not sure if it would work with a heavy snow load. Farmtek also carries Clearspan (brand name) fabric buildings.

osgoka01
Apr. 29, 2010, 06:40 PM
I actually have ridden in a few of the bigger Coverall & Clearspan brand name fabric buildings. They were quite nice inside. I'm in CT and we tried a horse in NY that had a big Coverall... had to have been 100W or so.

I have a friend who just bought a Clearspan brand indoor and hers is lovely. It is only 72W but you can still jump a course (apparently it is less expensive to stay narrow and add length).
www.clearspan.com

I actually really like the white cover as they are bright inside.

Schiffon
May. 8, 2010, 10:28 PM
I've seen a covered track around a smaller (dressage measurement)outdoor ring. The covered track was about 20 ft wide and surrounded the ring. Great for bad weather since it gave a much larger area to ride in then a small covered roundpen would and the ring inside of the track was nicely shielded from wind. We used the covered track a lot for young horses or just for canter work too.

It seems to be the with of the ring that causes the cost to rise so a larger area where the outside track was covered and the middle open might be a good year round solution?

The Meadow Farm stud (where Secretariat was born) had a small indoor track and when I boarded near there, I rode in it once. Our horses were pretty freaked out by it because it was solid walls on both sides so you could hear the horses on the opposite side of the track but not see them. I suppose they would get used to it, but one with open sides like at Flyinge would be much more horse-friendly. Hard to believe it is cheaper than a regular indoor arena though.

Does anyone have plans for rafter or truss design for a 60' covered round pen? We asked the truss company nearest our farm and they made it sound as though it was odd to want to do it without a center post.