PDA

View Full Version : Way to patch Rubbermaid water trough?

cllane1
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:49 AM
I could swear there was a thread on this recently, but I can't find it.

Our R'maid water trough has a crack in the bottom and is leaking all across our pasture. Is there a patch we can put on it, or some kind of sealant we can use to fix it? Would love to hear your experiences!

Cloverbarley
Oct. 29, 2009, 09:59 AM
There's a guy in my town who fixes them. He uses a heat welding type of thing and melts it all back together again. Does a lovely job and you can barely see where they have been mended.

lwk
Oct. 29, 2009, 10:07 AM
I had mine plastic-welded at the local body shop.
It was cracked down by the drain plug. Within 6 months, however, another crack developed and I got a new trough.

katarine
Oct. 29, 2009, 10:22 AM
Mine cracked by the drain plug and would only hold about half a tank, more than that the weight of the water pushed it open. None of the sealants I tried, worked :( BUT- I took a rock and propped the tank on it right there at the leak -bingo- the tank settles/presses on that point, the tank flexes around it, and done- no leak. Plumb amazed myself but truly, it works LOL

Lord Helpus
Oct. 29, 2009, 10:32 AM
We have used those super strong, waterproof sealers from Lowes. They work for about a year, then we do it again.

Since the man who takes care of hte farm actually does it, I do not know which sealer he uses, but it is just one of the ones from Lowes. Nothing special. And it really does work, even on cracks in the bottom, and even in the extra large tanks.

I had no idea that there was a way of heat sealing rubber! Neat!!!

Lady Counselor
Oct. 29, 2009, 11:16 AM
I bought some sort of plastic sealer from Home Depot, designed for patching boats and other submersed plastic things. The hole was fairly low on the side on my tub, and I honestly thought the patch wouldn't work. To my surprise, the patch has lasted pretty well for over 6 months now. It wasn't all that hard to use, although it was likely easier doing it when the temps were warm.

hosspuller
Oct. 29, 2009, 08:10 PM
I could swear there was a thread on this recently, but I can't find it.

Our R'maid water trough has a crack in the bottom and is leaking all across our pasture. Is there a patch we can put on it, or some kind of sealant we can use to fix it? Would love to hear your experiences!

try this... Drill a small (about 1/8 inch) hole at each end of the crack. This will stop the crack from enlarging. Then get a hot melt glue gun to seal the crack from hole to hole on the inside. Let the gun tip melt the tank material to fuse it all together.

SHWarmblood
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:42 PM
Mighty Putty - our heaters burned holes in our tanks (they now have guards on them) and we bought Mighty Putty. Works great! No more leaks, filled in huge holes. Cheap stuff too, mix, apply, dry. No major prep work.

Carrera
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:50 PM
I too had a tank heater burn thru one... I used fiberglass boat hole sealer. Its been 3 years and still going strong!

Woodland
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:50 PM
I used JB Weld on mine - lasted for years that way

cllane1
Oct. 30, 2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks, all! Will head to Home Depot this weekend with a list of these suggestions.

kypeep
Oct. 31, 2009, 08:43 AM
2nd the JB Weld, although even it will give way eventually (some have held for a few years, some not).