PDA

View Full Version : Diamond V XP yeast culture - anyone feeds this, how much?

Lieslot
Sep. 3, 2009, 07:53 AM
I've been supplementing my horses with Vit B1, Taurine & Chromium (individual from Uckele). But if I understood it correctly Brewer's Yeast contains the full B-complex (albeit low in B-12) as well as chromium, not sure about taurine.

Does anyone feed Diamond V XP, if so how much do you feed and should there be any need to add additional B1 and how about Taurine?

TIA.

shakeytails
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:33 AM
I feed it, about 2 tablespoons m/l per horse per day. The recommended dose is 1 oz/day (which is 5 tsp according to the Diamond V people), double that if stressed. It seems to increase feed efficiency, and a 50# bag lasts forever. I suggest you e-mail the company- when I asked for info I had a response within a few hours.

twhs
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:45 AM
Yes, I used this for years with good results. It was originally recommended to me by a country-style vet for a horse that had colicky tendencies & another who didn't hold his weight & was vit B deficient. She told me to increase slowly until reaching 1/4 cup AM & PM and that if they got "too much" the only thing that would happen is they would "toot" more. This was the original Diamond Yeast. There is another that is double strength. With the nervous horse, I think we used more during stressful times weather-wise.
Coats, feet are vastly improved with this stuff.

I continue to use it but not as often -- mainly because yeast is high on the list of ingredients for TC Low Starch.

If you look on the list of ingredients for most of the supplements, you'll see yeast way at the top. Interesting.

HandsomeBayFarm
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:06 AM
I do 2 oz also - once a day. All types of horses. Really like it. Really hard to get in my area though.

JSwan
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:23 PM
A few ounces.

sweetpea
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:32 PM
I donot usually like to say something bad about a product , but this yeast product
sent my guy into a horrible fit of gas colic--
I called the company and they said -- some horses it can create a constant fermentation reaction. Now I used to fastack and never had issue, same with probios.

So if you use watch him and keep track of when it was started.
We took him off of it -- no problems --So then we introduced again in a week and the very same thing happened -- so for me I guess not.

Lieslot
Sep. 3, 2009, 05:51 PM
Ooooooooh, thanks for sharing this sweetpea.
I may want to think about his, coz my one fella has a sensitive digestive system.