PDA

View Full Version : When is first cutting hay in your area??

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Apr. 6, 2009, 11:27 AM
When is "this years" hay first available in your area? (And where are you?)

Seems like in Piedmont NC first cutting is usually mid-May, but I've been noticing lots of new hay for sale signs lately -wondering if folks are unloading last years' hay, or are folks getting in new hay already?

Lady Counselor
Apr. 6, 2009, 11:29 AM
Memorial Day/early June here in New England. (MA/southern NH/VT)

2DogsFarm
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:06 PM
KNOCK WOOD!
If the weather cooperates 1st cutting here in the Midwest will be mid-June.

I think what you're seeing for sale is stockpiled hay from last years crop being emptied from storage to make room.
Nothing wrong with that - properly stored hay keeps for years.

greysandbays
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:18 PM
I think what you're seeing for sale is stockpiled hay from last years crop being emptied from storage to make room.
Nothing wrong with that - properly stored hay keeps for years.

And lots of times, it's "priced to sell", not "priced for profit". It's my preferred way to buy hay, and I once got 600 bales for FREE -- on condition that I had to take it all (which the guy thought would be maybe 2/300 bales), and I had to have it all moved before his new crop came in (which, with the vast underestimate on the amount, was something of a crunch and in very hot weather).

Some of it was 5 and 6 years old, but for free, I figured I could throw out anything that wasn't feedable. Only about a dozen bales were unfeedable. I lost a lot of sweat over that deal, but the price sure was right.

Tamara in TN
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl;4001899]When is "this years" hay first available in your area? (And where are you?)

on my farm april 21...on the surrounding farms,memorial day

best

pines4equines
Apr. 6, 2009, 12:52 PM
We're in NY state and we usually see cuttings more in June, seems it is just too wet for the farmers to get into the fields until then...Usually. Some years are different so could be May 31 too and sometimes as late as end of June.

LostFarmer
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:44 PM
I will cut first cutting about the 4th of July and second somewhere around the end of August first of September. I then hope to get some pasture out of the hay ground before the first snow fall. We have had snow since before Thanksgiving and still have it on the ground now. Global warming my bare backside. :lol: LF

Cincinnati
Apr. 6, 2009, 01:50 PM
We usually get our first cutting around Memorial Day if no rain is forecasted.

horsetales
Apr. 6, 2009, 05:36 PM
Usually the first week of June for my hay suppliers.

LLDM
Apr. 6, 2009, 05:42 PM
When is "this years" hay first available in your area? (And where are you?)

Seems like in Piedmont NC first cutting is usually mid-May, but I've been noticing lots of new hay for sale signs lately -wondering if folks are unloading last years' hay, or are folks getting in new hay already?

Your farmers are trying to clean out their barns! No one is cutting yet here in the mid-atlantic. Now is a great time to stock up on hay. My hay guy is having a clearance sale and called me first! Don't be afraid to bargain. Hay was so high last year because of oil prices - but there was plenty of it - unlike the year before. Now they need the money and the barn space.

SCFarm

Thomas_1
Apr. 6, 2009, 05:48 PM
One cutting only here and August if we're lucky ;)

Lambie Boat
Apr. 6, 2009, 05:58 PM
around here in Oregon, late May to mid June...depends....

dumb question: is first cutting best? or 2nd? is 3rd any good? does grass hay only have the one cutting?

alfalfa makes my mares crazy so have been feeding local grass hay, but the quality varies. What I don't know about hay is a LOT.

and, I've never heard of BENT hay before. what is it?

saultgirl
Apr. 6, 2009, 06:01 PM
Usually around July 1st.

rideagoldenpony
Apr. 6, 2009, 06:47 PM
Here in our part of Southern Oregon, we usually cut hay at the end of May/beginning of June. Last year, however, cold and rain persisted well beyond normal, and we cut hay 3rd/4th week of June at the home farm, then beginning of July at our other farm, which is in a slightly different climate (cooler).

Too soon to say exactly what it will do here this year, but somewhere in the May/June range is when it will undoubtedly be.

Tamara in TN
Apr. 6, 2009, 06:58 PM
and, I've never heard of BENT hay before. what is it?

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/turf/publications/bent.html

pintopiaffe
Apr. 6, 2009, 07:27 PM
We're with Lost Farmer... 4th of July.

Last year, only one cut--which started in late June and continued through September, with many interruptions.

It's part of why I hate to have foals due before June, I can get into a bind with hay some years in May and early June... and nowhere NEAR enough pasture yet for a lactating mare.

sk_pacer
Apr. 6, 2009, 07:30 PM
usually only one cutting here, and that starts around the last week in June, probably mid July this year. Rarely a second cutting except on straight alfalfa and that is iffy - weather has to be just right to get that as no one irrigates here.

camohn
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:01 PM
Ours (SE PA) is usually late May or early June depending on how rainy the weather is.

the_other_mother
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:27 PM
Memorial Day is usually when they are baling here, etc if I remember correctly. My friend can never go riding that weekend because he has to stay home and do hay, so...yeah, late May here in NJ

MistyBlue
Apr. 6, 2009, 08:50 PM
I'm in Ct...so anywhere from Memorial Day to mid June or so depending on weather. The cutting depends on getting a stretch of dry weather so it doesn't get soaked on the ground. Every few years Mother Nature gets a sick sense of humor and has it rain heavy enough every other day for a few weeks right when the first cutting is ready. :no: She's a b*tch when she does that...makes first cut stemmy from being left up too long with no dry time to cut, bale and get it in.
Second cut August, once in a rare while a few farmers can sneak a very tiny bit of a third cut in. But that's maybe once every 5 years or so and only small yield.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Apr. 7, 2009, 08:03 AM
[quote]

on my farm april 21...on the surrounding farms,memorial day

best

So Tamara, is this because of fertilization, or are y'all in a teeny banana belt? Or you have more muscular youths available before school lets out?

That's a pretty big headstart on cutting!

Tamara in TN
Apr. 7, 2009, 08:48 AM
[quote=Tamara in TN;4002041]

So Tamara, is this because of fertilization, or are y'all in a teeny banana belt? Or you have more muscular youths available before school lets out?

That's a pretty big headstart on cutting!

yes it is...a hard lesson we had to learn 13 ish years ago...if we wanted four or five cuttings the first one has to come off early (even if it meant in those days baling it as dairy silage but now the local dairies are all gone)...and while we are all mechanical, I suppose we could be considered a micro clime being on the edge of the plateau and the Valley below...we did not suffer much drought two years ago for various reasons....

and finally yes land care plays a part in it as well...when you work long enough at it your taproots go deeper each year and the ground rewards your work...our alflafa is already calf high....too bad it's getting snowed on as we speak!

best

MikeP
Apr. 7, 2009, 09:14 AM
Around here (Central Alabama) Fescue hay growers start baling in late April or very early May. The first cutting of Coastal Bermuda and Bahia starts coming off in mid to late May.

NoDQhere
Apr. 7, 2009, 09:29 AM
If "ideal conditions" happen, the last week in May, first week in June. Of course those ideal conditions hardly ever happen so......sometime in June :lol:. We are in Western SD.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Apr. 7, 2009, 10:55 AM
I dunno when our first cutting is. I would imagine it would be some time after the hay grows. Which, at this rate, looks like maybe August?