PDA

View Full Version : For everyone that knows about hauling goosenecks!

eqgirl89
Mar. 4, 2009, 09:41 PM
Hi everyone. I was wondering if it is possible to pull a gooseneck trailer with a 6 foot bed with a regular gooseneck hitch? I've been hearing it's only possible with an 8 foot bed. And please tell me the pros and cons to having a gooseneck. :-) I've started to trailer shop but I'm having some difficulty finding a truck that can haul a gooseneck (which is what I prefer). Thanks in advance!

shawneeAcres
Mar. 4, 2009, 09:49 PM
YEs many people (most actually) pull a gooseneck with a short bed. TRuck I jsut traded in was a short bed Dodge that I pulled a four horse gooseneck for years with, and now my "new" truck is a short bed Ford. Goosnecks haul MUCH easier, you don't get the sway of a bumper pull, the weight is centered over your truck axle so much more stable and safer. MUCH easier to turn around in tight places (if you know what you are doing!). Make SURE to understand that a gooseneck, unliek a bumper pull does NOT follow in the tracks of the truck when turning however! It will be INSIDE the tracks of the truck, many people don't realize this until they hit something!!! Make WIDE turns.

Jaegermonster
Mar. 4, 2009, 09:54 PM
yes it is, I've done it for years. I pulled the same trailer with both a long and short box (three differenent trucks all crew cabs) and the only difference I found was the short box is easier to back up.(all trucks were F250 power stroke diesels)

That said, if you get a regular cab truck you really do need the long box because the whole point of it is to lengthen the wheelbase and make it more stable. If you get the crew cab it makes up for the 2' you lose off the bed as far as wheelbase.

I got a new LQ 3h that is 28' long, and our next truck will be a long box crew cab dually, only bc with the size of this trailer I feel that it needs the extra weight and stability. I don't like to be that close to the top end of my trucks capacity, it's really not safe.

Trakehner
Mar. 4, 2009, 10:09 PM
Goosenecks the way to go....you can tow one with a 6' bed with no problem...just be careful when you turn too sharply or back up too sharply...you can destroy your truck's cab very quickly depending on the length of the trailer's nose.

The extended mounts that go on the gooseneck hitch tube aren't expensive at all and can solve the destruction tendencies of the shorter beds.

EquusMagnificus
Mar. 4, 2009, 10:41 PM
No problem with the 6' bed! :yes:

If you hit the truck cabin, even with a smaller truck bed, you were doing something wrong regardless. :winkgrin:

tkhawk
Mar. 4, 2009, 10:56 PM
Make SURE to understand that a gooseneck, unliek a bumper pull does NOT follow in the tracks of the truck when turning however! It will be INSIDE the tracks of the truck, many people don't realize this until they hit something!!! Make WIDE turns.

:winkgrin: Yes the first time I brought my first gooseneck to the barn from the dealer, I took out my BO's flagpole!

But now I like the goosenecks better. I go camping and it is much more better with a nice mattress in there. Once you get used to it, it is no different. It just feels more stable .

eqgirl89
Mar. 4, 2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks for all the responses! More questions
How would the wheel base be with a 6 foot bed and extended cab (not the crew cab)?
What are the extended mounts that you can put on the hitch? Someone I spoke to in the past mentioned something about a "sliding hitch" which sounded like a very bad idea. He said it allowed the hitch to move forward and back in order to accommodate the gooseneck properly. It didn't sound like it made a very smooth ride for the horses.
Thoughts on pulling a bumper pull with a very strong Suburban? I keep telling my mom it sounds like a terrible idea, but she continues to insist that it's fine.
Places to buy a used truck at a good deal? We were hoping to take advantage of the President's Day sales with 0% financing, but that was only offered on the 150's and 1500's!
Now we're back to looking at used cars again. :-(
Looking forward to everyone's responses!

merrygoround
Mar. 4, 2009, 11:46 PM
If you use a tapered nose GN with a short bed truck, life will be easier. You sacrifice some storage space in the nose, for the security of not worrying about how tightly you turn.

If you insist on a full"nose", get the longer bed.

Once you have pulled a GN, you'll not want to go back to a tag-a-long.

bit-o-honey
Mar. 5, 2009, 08:00 AM
If you get the regular or long bed truck, there is no compromise except for needing a bigger parking space! It will give you more stability in your rig and more options for different trailers as well. You may find you use the truck for all sorts of things and having that extra room in the bed is really very useful.

If you really need an all-around vehicle, and don't tow much, drive it to work, etc. just stick with an SUV or smaller truck and a bumper pull. If you tow a lot, do yourself and your horses a favor and go with the regular bed and a gooseneck. I find the gooseneck easier to drive than a bumper pull!

Have fun shopping!

jubilee43
Mar. 5, 2009, 08:23 AM
I had the trailer dealer just taper the nose of my gooseneck so that i never have to think about it when i am turning. You WILL forget it at some point if you don't have it adjusted, trust me. I have never felt that I lost any appreciable amount of space in the nose. I keep my spare tire, a big water tank and pump, chairs etc up there and have tons more room. I like the shortbed when I go into town and need to park at the grocery store. My Dad has the full cab, full size bed and he is a farmer who is always handling equipment. When we go to town it takes him awhile to park and we often park way out so he can just pull forward and out. I like the convenience my smaller extended cab offers.
Just ask your trailer dealer about tapering the nose for a shortbed....

PONYPULR
Mar. 5, 2009, 09:49 AM
I'm on my 3rd 4-horse, head to head, gooseneck and 4th dually, and would not try to haul anything that long or wide with anything but that size truck! Stabilization, braking power, and weight distribution would all be seriously compromised. If you are considering a smaller trailer, less than, say, 25 feet long, you could probably use a short bed, providing the nose of the trailer is tapered, and the truck has an extended cab.

I've used the exact same ball and plate in each of my trucks, a 3/4 inch plate and permanent ball. I've seen what other plates and hitches can end up looking like after disasters.

Tag-a-long trailers don't offer as nice a ride, and they sway and bounce.

Happy shopping!

IslandGirl
Mar. 5, 2009, 09:58 AM
...Thoughts on pulling a bumper pull with a very strong Suburban? I keep telling my mom it sounds like a terrible idea, but she continues to insist that it's fine...

Your mom is correct. I pulled a 26' boat that weight 8500 pounds with a full load of fuel, as well as my extra long, extra tall, extra wide two-horse bumper pull with my Suburban. Although my truck (F350 Super Duty dually) definitely pulls the horse trailer better, the Suburban did a fine job. Pulled the trailer, heavily loaded, to Florida, Mississippi, and many other places with not one problem.

Trakehner
Mar. 5, 2009, 10:19 AM
I towed a bumper pull trailer (Featherlite 2 horse, draft-sized) with a Ford Bronco (5L engine, c6 transmission) with an EZ-Loader equalizing hitch...100,00+ miles of towing. Was it marginal? Yep, could be.

I next towed with a Chevy Avalanche 1/2 ton, 5.7L engine, auto transmission that made it to 106K and died (a common problem with Avalanches). I towed a 16' steel stock bumper pull trailer...was always within the weight and hitch constraints..but going up and down the hills when trailering from VA to NH and SC..that poor engine was working pretty hard.

Now, 1 ton Dodge Dually and Eby combo/stock gooseneck trailer...what a diff. I've towed 4-horse head-to-heads, and the big stock...cant' tell it's back there, amazingly stable and with the hydraulic lift (decadent I know) on the trailer...wow! effortless to hitch too!

So, can you tow with a Suburban? Of course! We were towed with amazing station wagons back in the dark ages (or horse vans...I still have one though it's mostly used as a feed/storage room)...maybe the bast thing would be to try towing with several types of vehicles, get a feeling of what works and what is best...you may be able to justify affording something in the middle.