PDA

View Full Version : Left the water running!

strawberry roan
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:02 PM
I am so terribly embarrassed that I almost hate to come clean here. So angry with myself! :mad: I was filling up the water troughs in the fields(well water) and doing too many things at once. I usually leave the long red trough brush in the aisle to remind me that water is running. But I didn't. Forgot to. Got distracted doing other barn chores. Finished chores and went up to the house!! 2 hours later came back down to ride and saw the pump handle up and #%@&! took off running, closed the handle, and looked at all the water just flowing over the rim of the trough and down the field! I recycle, turn lights off when I leave a room, keep thermostat low, etc etc. This has made me so upset that I could waste all this water--especially from a well!! Is there such a thing as an auto shut off for the water--not that this is ever going to happen again---when it has been running for a certain amount of time? Just makes me sick to think that I let this happen. :mad:

county
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:05 PM
Been there and done that about 100 times over the years couple times it ran all night. They make a flaot you can attach to your tank and hook the hose to that will shut it off when full. But if its below freezing your hose will freeze full of water then freeze back to your hydrant.

NoDQhere
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:10 PM
Happens to the best of us :lol:. When we do it, it gets expensive as we are on a water line and pay for every drop.

DeeThbd
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:14 PM
You want embarrassing? Try doing it INSIDE a boarding barn.........even a trickle turns into a flood.
DON"T ask me how I know that. Just don't. :eek::o
Dee

GollyGee
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:15 PM
Just remeber the water goes back into the ground and eventually the aquafer your well draws from:D:D
you have no idea how many times i came home from the office to see water running down the road!!! from hose left on all day.....

amdfarm
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:18 PM
I've done it more times than I care to remember (HA!) Not from a well, but city water I pay for. My dad has also done it before w/out remembering while farm sitting. I didn't notice it until I came home so it had been running ALL DAY!! (At least 8 hours.) He offered to pay my water bill that month since he made the mistake.

Luckily I don't forget when it's winter since I know the hose will freeze quicker than anything.

Sakura
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:19 PM
I am so terribly embarrassed that I almost hate to come clean here. So angry with myself! :mad: I was filling up the water troughs in the fields(well water) and doing too many things at once. I usually leave the long red trough brush in the aisle to remind me that water is running. But I didn't. Forgot to. Got distracted doing other barn chores. Finished chores and went up to the house!! 2 hours later came back down to ride and saw the pump handle up and #%@&! took off running, closed the handle, and looked at all the water just flowing over the rim of the trough and down the field! I recycle, turn lights off when I leave a room, keep thermostat low, etc etc. This has made me so upset that I could waste all this water--especially from a well!! Is there such a thing as an auto shut off for the water--not that this is ever going to happen again---when it has been running for a certain amount of time? Just makes me sick to think that I let this happen. :mad:

20 lashes with a wet noodle!

Seriously though... I don't think one single day goes by when any horse person doesn't have even one little goof ;).

strawberry roan
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:20 PM
Thank you thank you!! Feel better knowing that there are others out there. Even got a chuckle from GollyGee as I could just imagine seeing it running down the road.

hipy
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
Only two hours, we've done a lot of overnighters and yes it is sickening.........but funny too. Thankfully in my house where all our hoses are attached we can hear the water running. My youngest has super hearing and will pad into the living room "there is water running". Try leaving the water running in the Koi pond, I swear I have nightmares of them just floating out.

tuppysmom
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:29 PM
Someone, whos name has been changed to protect the guilty, (not me),left the sprinkler going in our indoor once. We had an indoor pool for about a week. Multi tasking is for the young.

Dad Said Not To
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:29 PM
My BO has a gas pump nozzle on the end of the hose. When the water level reaches the end of the nozzle, it automatically shuts off. You'd have to rig up some kind of bracket to hold the nozzle for a stock tank, but it could work.

Guilherme
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:32 PM
Attempts to create/re-create rivers, ponds, and swamps are fairly common in the equine world. :)

One way to help remind you to turn off the water is to use a kitchen timer. Or, if you've got an digital watch, many have "alarm" functions. Some cell phones also have alarm functions.

The worst damage you can do (and I know this from personal experience) is run a well dry and/or burn out your pump or electronic controls. Now you're talking real money and real inconvienience. Hence, the kitchen time (a cheap memory aid :lol:).

You might want to check your system and see if you have a "low pressure cut off switch" on your pump or pressure tank. These are not very expensive and will cut off the pump if the pressure falls (as a result of reduced flow). They have a "reset lever" that allows easy recharging of the system after water levels have returned to normal.

Don't feel too bad. The worst you did was made some mud. Time will fix the error! :)

G.

T.G.I.F.
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:33 PM
Friend has told me about filling up trough and hending out on holidays. Got to the boarder and had to call neighbour to turn water off... :lol:

lilypondlane
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hah! If I had a nickel for every time I've forgotten that the water was running, I'd be a wealthy woman. I have actually gone off to work for an entire day and discovered my idiocy when I got home -- water, water everywhere. Obviously had a very deep well because I never ran it dry. I like your idea of leaving the scrub brush in the aisle as a reminder. I have auto waterers in my big fields now, but still use the Rubbermaid troughs in the smaller paddocks so it still happens, just not so frequently. :D

JoZ
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
Wow -- when I've done this (many MANY times, and usually INSIDE the barn) or someone else has done it in our barn, and I am wailing and whining, it is never from a "green"/conservation perspective. We are on a well and I figure what goes around comes around -- not that I'd advocate waste on a daily basis.

I usually have other things to be lamenting -- horse standing in slop, wasted bedding, muddy aisle, damaged belongings. Each time I swear it will NEVER EVER happen again.

Nancy!
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:50 PM
It seems to be that we have so much to do that to just stand there while the trough is filling is wasting time. At least that is my excuse.:D However, I did get into major trouble with hubby when I left the water running for 3 days one winter. :eek: Yes, that is not a typo. Luckily we have an unlimited amount of water from our well. Unfortunately the cows didn't much like their skating rink.

So hubby's solution is to put a hose there that can't quite reach the stock tank so that you have to stand there and hold it. :lol:

Oh well, I figure it all went back down into the land after it melted. We all make mistakes.

Nancy!

hipy
Dec. 28, 2008, 12:51 PM
ROFL, we have had so many conversations on the way to the beach "Did you turn the water off?" " I think so......pause........I can't remember" our poor neighbors. hee

pines4equines
Dec. 28, 2008, 01:10 PM
Oh please, me too! I've left the water running.

But think how fresh the water is in the tank!!! :lol:

kookicat
Dec. 28, 2008, 02:17 PM
Heck, I think everyone has done it at least once. I know that I have, and I'm on piped water. The bill that month was interesting!! :o

Bluey
Dec. 28, 2008, 02:45 PM
Garden stores and hardware stores sell those little timers you put on your hydrant and they only let water run so long before they turn off.

They are made for sprinkler systems, so they come on and go off at set times and are relative cheap little timers.

Some of those may be just what you need on your hydrant and set it to run only for as long as it will take to fill your tank.:yes:

Just don't forget to turn on your timer.:D

mayhew
Dec. 28, 2008, 03:16 PM
You want embarrassing? Try doing it INSIDE a boarding barn.........even a trickle turns into a flood.
DON"T ask me how I know that. Just don't. :eek::o
Dee

Or try doing it inside a boarding barn the day before the BO is showing a potential new boarder around. And then listen to her swear up and down to the potential new boarder that the barn doesn't have a dampness problem! And then never see potential new boarder again. :o

goeslikestink
Dec. 28, 2008, 03:48 PM
fit a ballcock

pintopiaffe
Dec. 28, 2008, 07:30 PM
Uh... when you've left it on for an entire 12 hr shift (which means closer to 14hrs total...

then you can be mad/embarrassed etc.

2 hrs is NOTHING.

:uhoh:

pintopiaffe
Dec. 28, 2008, 07:31 PM
OOOOHhhhh...

Or there's the time I left it running IN THE STALL with the four-white-stockings stallion who was bathed and incarcerated for the night for the show the next morning.

I have dirt floors.

:yes:

:dead:

dressagetraks
Dec. 28, 2008, 07:37 PM
I have solved this problem! After multiple sins myself, of course. I always felt like I was wasting time while standing there watching the trough fill, but I, too, have had many times I went off to multitask and left it on.

So I started whistling the horses over as soon as I turn on the trough. Nowadays, they just come. They hang heads over the gate, and I pet them and admire them and whisper sweet nothings, and Emily Dickinson the barn cat combs through my conveniently stationary legs and sings to all of us with her hyperpurr.

Those 5 minutes to fill go by in no time, and time spent admiring your horses and dispensing ear scratches to the cat is never wasted. :)

CallMeGrace
Dec. 28, 2008, 07:50 PM
Someone, whos name has been changed to protect the guilty, (not me),left the sprinkler going in our indoor once. We had an indoor pool for about a week. Multi tasking is for the young.

Ooooh, I'm not the only one.....

lesson junkie
Dec. 28, 2008, 08:53 PM
When I leave the water on I get yelled at because it's bad for the pump. If my DH does it it's okay 'cause it's good for the sediments to get flushed out of the line.

Really-just hope it's the worst thing you do. Wait 'till you forget to close the back gate to the pasture.

Blue Bandit
Dec. 28, 2008, 08:56 PM
you don't know how many times this happened to me...we used to have umpteen 100 gallon Rubbermaids and they took forever to fill...best improvement we EVER did to the farm was to install 11 Nelson automatic waterers outside...my sister has costed out the savings in water, labor to fill and clean etc. somewhere on the website...
www.charmingcreekfarm.com totally worth the investment!

Seven-up
Dec. 28, 2008, 09:41 PM
I had one of those float things on my pasture tanks, but one of the horses likes to climb into the tank and splash around, so it keeps getting broken. Therefore, since I have to turn the water on and off, it gets left on all the time. I come out in the morning to find turtles playing in the flooded pasture. I have no idea where they come from, but they know when I leave the water on!

Thomas_1
Dec. 28, 2008, 09:44 PM
Heck I do that several times a year. Always in the summer. Always when water is at a premium.

And yes I'm on a private water supply!

JB
Dec. 28, 2008, 09:47 PM
Just did this last night as a matter of fact :mad::mad::mad:

I do it several times a year. I have a routine, where if the tub in the field needs water, I get the water going as I'm heading down to the barn after putting hay out, and by the time I put the wheelbarrow away and come back up, I turn it off and there's plenty for at least the night, depending on how low it was to begin with.

Last night the kitty distracted me by wanting to race me back to the house!:lol::winkgrin:

1.5 hours later I scream off the chair and run outside. I come back in and hubby goes "forgot the water huh..." :p

Yes, there are timers. I had one from Home Depot. Worked great for a year. One day it broke and while the ticker stopped ticking, it didn't shut off the water valve :mad: I can't bring myself to trust one again. Maybe I need a more heavy duty one?

But in the Winter it doesn't matter. I just un/hook hoses from my house spigots, so I still have to be out there to disconnect them at night.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Dec. 28, 2008, 09:55 PM
Oh, yes - I've gone off to work and left the hose running for eight hours.:yes: Now I make it a point to water at night. That way, when I turn on the tap to brush my teeth and have no water pressure, I remember to run outside and turn off the hose.:lol:

katarine
Dec. 28, 2008, 10:03 PM
BTDT, left it on one time allll weekend. Thank goodness it's only our pond I'm draining, and it's huge and deep ;)

we have a great battery powered timer I love for our way out pasture...comes on every other day for 15 minutes. It's great and 3+ years old. Best 20 bucks I ever spent :)

twofatponies
Dec. 28, 2008, 10:13 PM
Glad I'm not the only one! We were farm-sitting last week and managed to overflow the trough two nights out of four! It takes forever to fill, so we'd start that first, then bring in the horses, feed, hay, etc. Fortunately there's an small open window in the barn near the trough, so right about the time I think one of the horses is taking a really big multi-gallon pee in his stall, the thought will follow "crap, the trough!" and I can run out and shut it off.

We spent some extra time "sweeping" water out of the run-in, though, to clean up the puddles we made.

If I had to do it every day I'd get a timer!

2DogsFarm
Dec. 29, 2008, 01:17 PM
:o How about doing it at a neighbors' house?
We exchange horse-sitting and I left their hose on all night.
The pump didn't work the next day and I was certain I'd burned out their pump motor at the least.
Their horses are pasture-kept with a large pond in the pasture so watering them wasn't a problem.
I agonized until they got home...and fortunately it was just a fuse.
WHEW!

Of course I've done it to myself too - usually I notice the water pressure in the house seems a bit low...then go flying back to the barn :cool:

Elmstead
Dec. 31, 2008, 12:25 PM
Don't beat yourself up! Been there, done that...more times than I care to admit! And our water is expensive city water! Regardless, I too hate the idea of wasting any natural resource.

Like the previous poster, I always seem to notice around 10pm when I go to take a shower or bath and there isn't any pressure.