PDA

View Full Version : Best/warmest HUMAN jackets?

LearnToFly
Oct. 24, 2008, 06:23 PM
There have been tons of threads about the best horse blankets, but I'm shopping for something that will keep MYSELF warm while doing barn chores this winter. What are your recommendations?

ddashaq
Oct. 24, 2008, 06:32 PM
I have a Carhartt that is extremely warm and hard-wearing. Mine is 5 years old and despite being used very hard, looks almost new. I have also heard great things about the Mountain Horse coats but have not tried them myself.

Simkie
Oct. 24, 2008, 06:33 PM
CARHART!

woops
Oct. 24, 2008, 07:39 PM
Down Vest and polar fleece zip up jacket or all down.

PaintedBones
Oct. 24, 2008, 08:08 PM
I am a huge fan of the Outback Trading Co. coats. Just bought a new one and it's not thick but extremely warm. Cuts the wind like nothing else including my carharts. They have some preformance clothes that are more englishy and still have the classic western stuff too. Reasonably priced too for how warm and dry they keep you. Alot of their coats are waterproof and windproof!!

http://www.outbacktrading.com/2007/clothing07.html

Angel Undercover
Oct. 24, 2008, 10:15 PM
CANADA GOOSE!! And I swear I'm not biased just because I'm Canadian... :winkgrin:

http://www.canada-goose.com/7c_ladies.htm

Seriously, I have never worn anything this warm before!

shakeytails
Oct. 24, 2008, 10:26 PM
I also recommend Carhartt- the real thing, not the off-brands.

I've found that I stay warmest (and still have freedom of movement) by wearing insulated Carhartt bib overalls over sweats and a hoodie. If my legs and feet are warm, I'm usually good to go. But when I'm really being a weenie- I throw a Carhartt coat over the top.

Irish Ei's
Oct. 24, 2008, 10:32 PM
Mountain Horse Original........Loved mine so much I bought one for street wear, too....

BostonEq
Oct. 24, 2008, 10:58 PM
Nothing beats my L.L.Bean puffy coat! So light, blocks the wind, and incredibly warm... down jackets get my vote for the coldest winter days!

ShowMeTheGlory
Oct. 25, 2008, 01:29 AM
Carhartt

Event4Life
Oct. 25, 2008, 08:46 AM
MUSTO!!! I even wore mine up a munroe in January in Scotland...it kept me warm and nearly dry, which is about as good as you are going to get...http://www.musto.com/products.aspx?activityId=2

2DogsFarm
Oct. 25, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hands down the lightest, warmest, cheapest layering tool you'll ever need.
Over a T-neck with a lightweight windbreaker on top and I am Good to Go in the coldest weather.
Friends bought me a pair of polarfleece sweatpants about 4 years ago and I am still wearing them. With Hot Chillys underneath they are my Winter staple.
You can find polarfleece tops in any thrift store in great condition (the stuff wears like iron) and since it's for the barn why pay LL Bean prices?

For indoor barn chores it is the best - no overheating, just warm!

The only downside is hay,shavings and horsehair are magnetically attracted to it. :no:

KathyR
Oct. 25, 2008, 04:31 PM
I have a jacket from Cabela's-love it. Check their online catalog-great deals. Mine is perfect for the barn. Keeps me warm, and washes great.

chai
Oct. 25, 2008, 10:08 PM
Here is my winter uniform:
wool balaclava lined with polarfleece
fleece neck warmer
Down slope coat by Gerry. I love these coats so much, I contacted the Gerry company directly and bought 7 of the same coat about 10 years ago.
Cashmere turtleneck sweater. I found them at a discount store and bought 5.
Jeans or on really cold days, Hot chilis and x/c snow pants
Knee High Muck boots.

Sillypony
Oct. 25, 2008, 11:44 PM
I LOVE my Mountain Horse Original. It's super warm, good to ride in as well, and still looks good today, and I bought it about 6 or 7 years ago. It's survived a NJ winter and many MN winters. I strongly rec. them. It also cleans up easily in the washer and dryer.

tikidoc
Oct. 26, 2008, 07:06 AM
CANADA GOOSE!! And I swear I'm not biased just because I'm Canadian... :winkgrin:

http://www.canada-goose.com/7c_ladies.htm

Seriously, I have never worn anything this warm before!

Nice jackets, but OMG, every one of them I looked at was over $600!!! No way I could afford that for a barn coat (or any other coat, for that matter).

dressagetraks
Oct. 26, 2008, 07:53 AM
Love my Mountain Horse Original. I have heard that goose down is the ultimate, but haven't been able to afford that yet.

Side tangent, but what is it with companies not listing the prices immediately up front on a product? I clicked on several of the above, just to check them out, and with a lot you really had to dig for a price and go multiple pages in. I want the price prominently on the original product details page, and actually, I'd prefer it back in the inventory listing. Willing to pay more for better stuff, but don't play keep-the-price-away. :no:

Gruff Pastures
Oct. 26, 2008, 07:59 AM
Tough Duck insulated coveralls from Tractor Supply.

Lucassb
Oct. 26, 2008, 12:38 PM
Goose down is the warmest, I think.

I have a very old Gerry goose down vest that I bought *many* years ago for skiing. It's now my barn staple as it is very lightweight and allows freedom of movement, particularly for riding. I hate feeling like the Michelin man when I'm trying to ride!

For barn chores if I am not riding - I have a pair of polarfleece-lined jeans from LL Bean, worn with a UA T-neck, probably a sweater, and then a Patagonia fleece-lined jacket. Yes, pricey stuff - but very, very well made and durable. I've had my Patagonia jacket for at least 15 years and it still washes up beautifully and looks great. As a plus, it is also designed for use in active sports - so it is not constricting the way some winter jackets are. (See a theme here? LOL)

My hubby is a cyclist and gets really great socks and gloves designed for aerobic activity in cold weather. I find they keep my hands and feet warm and dry - more than half the battle in the cold northeast winters.

poltroon
Oct. 26, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'm a big fan of LL Bean and Land's End. Of course, I more need waterproof than super cold protection.

I have a polar fleece bowler-shaped hat that I quite like for rain and cold. Hoods obscure my vision too much to be safe around horses.

I tend to buy my coats extra big, so I have a nice layer of warm air between me and the coat. Makes it a little more tolerant of the comfort range between when I'm working hard and just standing around (or first outside).

Dressage Art
Oct. 26, 2008, 02:33 PM
North Face jackets and coats are great, but can be pricey!
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/women-s.html

Dreamburger
Oct. 29, 2008, 01:39 PM
I love the Lands' End "Insulated Women's Squall Parka" it's about $150, but worth every penny. Mine is 4 years old and still going strong. I get cold really easily, and but hate that "bundled up" feeling of lots of layers. It's the warmest coat I've ever owned, and after tossing it in the washing machine it comes out looking like new every time!

drmgncolor
Oct. 29, 2008, 02:29 PM
North Face jackets and coats are great, but can be pricey!
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/women-s.html

You can definitely do better for the price you would pay for a TNF Denali 300. :)

I would look into something with Primaloft. Much, much warmer than down, lightweight and retains heat even when wet. REI makes a good jacket. Use it as a layer or as a jacket itself and the sleeves zip off too, which then makes it a vest. Very versatile, imho.

Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, Marmot, and even TNF make jackets/vests with Primaloft.

HJALO
Oct. 29, 2008, 02:33 PM
I have the Northface Nuptse and it was great when I lived in Maryland. It's collecting dust in New Orleans, though. :lol:

flypony74
Oct. 29, 2008, 02:54 PM
My favorite, warmest jacket is my North Face ski jacket with Primaloft. I like it because it is not bulky but still very warm. They aren't cheap but they are durable and perform well. I also have an older Marmot jacket that I like a lot, and a newer vest that is awesome.

One thing you can't beat for the price are Land's End squall jackets. I have a couple of these in various age ranges, and they are warm and last a long time.

kookicat
Oct. 29, 2008, 06:45 PM
I bought a fantastic parka today (in the supermarket, no less!) for £30. It's super warm, and has cuffed sleeves unlike my current jacket (so the warm air escapes down the sleeves, sigh!). I can't wait to try it out!

SSFLandon
Oct. 29, 2008, 07:46 PM
which Carhartt? they make so many models now

shakeytails
Oct. 29, 2008, 11:34 PM
which Carhartt? they make so many models now

Any of them! Whichever you like best. I have several, including one of the old blanket lined jackets that's old enough to vote- though I don't think they make them anymore.

DairyQueen2049
Oct. 30, 2008, 06:59 AM
Mountain Horse Original........Loved mine so much I bought one for street wear, too....

DITTO woot woot for Mnt Horse!!!!

USed to do Carhartt and I thought my joints would fall off in the winter. Never realized it was the WEIGHT of the damm things and the STIFFNESS of them that caused my pain. Once I got Mnt Horse Polar Pant and found out it was the damm Carhartts and NOT ME I ditched them except for the dirtiest of jobs at the barn.

Mnt Horse is stylish, warm, comfy, moves with me, warm, cute, different colors and styles and warm!!

Carhartt is old school - check out the new world of fabrics and styles and STYLE!! Mnt Horse!! :yes:

Oh, and Mnt Horse is wash and wear - Carhartt will fade with every wash and once they stain the stain is there for the life of it.

USed to be Carhartt lasted a long time (you'd wear then till they fell apart, all but the zipper, frayed cuffs and holey elbows) - but they seem to have gotten cheap on thier zippers too now.

For the money and my joint comfort: MNT HORSE.

OH!! One more thing: if you are petite you can buy the Large kids sizes Mnt Horse and have even more to choose from!!!!

Adams has lots of Mnt Horse stuff.

Mags
Oct. 30, 2008, 07:24 AM
Love my Mt Horse. I've had it for 6 or 7 years. It's just the best. Just a tee shirt and my Mt Hosre and I'm good to go. Their Rimm Frost Rider boots are nice and warm,too!

eventchic33
Oct. 30, 2008, 07:33 AM
Last years model of Columbia ski pants and my Outback jacket The long one. It blocks the wind and the rain so nicely.