Careers & Internships
The Chronicle of the Horse is in search of a controller/CFO candidate to undertake all aspects of financial management, including corporate accounting and financial reporting.
The controller candidate should have a bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration or equivalent business experience and at least 5 years of progressively responsible experience, including knowledge of accounting principles and procedures, experience with creating financial statements, experience with GL functions and month-/year-end close process.
Must be familiar with QuickBooks. Preference will be given to candidates with a Certified Public Accountant designation.
- Manage all accounting operations including: billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, collections, general ledger, asset management, and revenue recognition.
- Prepare budget and financial forecasts and report variances.
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements.
- Process payroll, to include sales commissions and tax filings.
- Prepare annual audits for insurance and financial vendors.
Full-time position in Middleburg, VA. Send resumes, cover letter and salary expectations to Beth Rasin: email@example.com
The Chronicle of the Horse offers an editorial internship for people interested in horses and journalism.
Our internship gives interns a real feel for publishing. The job description varies little from the actual duties of the editorial staff. We work with the intern, offering personal attention and a level of responsibility fitted to the individual. Successful candidates arrive at the Chronicle ready to hit the ground running thanks to strong writing skills, familiarity with our products and in-depth sport horse knowledge. We are proud of our program. The Chronicle offers a chance to grow.
- Writing news, features and other content for The Chronicle of the Horse magazine, www.chronofhorse.com and Untacked.
- Managing and publishing photo galleries online
- Special web projects
- Interviewing experts for profiles or features
Normal hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 5, with some flexibility possible. Interns will work in our Middleburg, Va., office; telecommuting is not possible. Some weekends are spent on assignment. Rolling internships available.
- Strong writing background
- Knowledge of English horse sports. A competitive background is strongly suggested.
- Interest in a journalism or new media career
- Talent for photography helpful
- Knowledge of AP Style and multimedia skills helpful
- Familiarity with CMS helpful
Compensation is $7.25/hour or academic credit. Housing is the responsibility of the intern; we will assist in your search. A car is necessary.
Most of the editorial staff at the Chronicle started their careers as interns. The internship is a great fit for college graduates as well as top college students. Graduates of our internship program now work at news outlets like Eventing, In Stride, The Horse, Condé Naste Traveler, Horse-Journal and CBC. Other former interns are now working in fields of equine photography and public relations, and others work as freelance writers.
In the past interns have written cover stories for The Chronicle of the Horse magazine, produced behind-the-scenes videos at events, blogged for chronofhorse.com and pitched ideas for projects to the editorial staff that we helped them carry out.
We are currently accepting applications for interns to begin January 1.
Emailed applications are preferred. Please send résumé, including cover letter, equestrian background, writing sample and availability to:
Mollie Bailey, Editorial Staff
The Chronicle of the Horse
P.O. Box 46
Middleburg, VA 20118