Careers & Internships
The Chronicle of the Horse offers an editorial internship for people interested in horses and journalism.
Our internship gives interns a real feel for publishing. The job description varies little from the actual duties of the editorial staff. We work with the intern, offering personal attention and a level of responsibility fitted to the individual. Successful candidates arrive at the Chronicle ready to hit the ground running thanks to strong writing skills, familiarity with our products and in-depth sport horse knowledge. We are proud of our program. The Chronicle offers a chance to grow.
- Writing news, features and other content for The Chronicle of the Horse magazine, www.chronofhorse.com and digital publication The Chronicle Connection
- Managing and publishing photo galleries online
- Special web projects
- Interviewing experts for profiles or features
Normal hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 5, with some flexibility possible. Some weekends are spent on assignment. Rolling internships available.
- Strong writing background
- Knowledge of English horse sports. A competitive background is strongly suggested.
- Interest in a journalism or new media career
- Talent for photography helpful
- Knowledge of AP Style and multimedia skills helpful
- Familiarity with CMS helpful
Compensation is $7.25/hour or academic credit. Housing is the responsibility of the intern; we will assist in your search. A car is necessary.
Most of the editorial staff at the Chronicle started their careers as interns. The internship is a great fit for college graduates as well and top college students. Graduates of our internship program now work at news outlets like Eventing, In Stride, The Horse, Condé Naste Traveler, Horse-Journal and CBC. Other former interns are now working in fields of equine photography and public relations, and others work as freelance writers.
In the past interns have written cover stories for the Chronicle Connection and lead stories to the magazine, produced behind-the-scenes videos at events and pitched ideas for projects to the editorial staff that we helped them carry out.
We are currently accepting applications for interns to begin January 1.
Emailed applications are preferred. Please send résumé, including cover letter, equestrian background and writing sample to:
Mollie Bailey, Editorial Staff
The Chronicle of the Horse
P.O. Box 46
Middleburg, VA 20118