Careers & Internships
The Chronicle is seeking an Advertising Director. This is a great opportunity for a driven and organized sales executive who can manage and grow an enthusiastic sales staff and implement exciting, out-of-the-box strategies across all properties owned by the Chronicle.
The position is located in Middleburg, Va.
- Hiring, coaching and training sales staff.
- Establishing strategic plans for growth of advertising revenue.
- Seeking out the means of increasing market share.
- Generating ideas to grow our list of potential and active clients.
- Maintaining and growing a list of major accounts.
- Working closely with other departments on all products.
- Minimum 5 years experience in advertising sales or sales management experience in print and digital media
- Experience in directing an advertising team
- Experience in developing and executing sales strategies across multiple platforms including traditional and digital solutions ranging from display, digital, email, video and social media
- Extensive knowledge of the sports the Chronicle covers
- Strong experience in digital and social media programs and ad metrics
- A proven track record
- Ability to collaborate fluidly with editorial staff and design staff, as well as to be a self-starter in getting projects off the ground and taking initial concepts forward to a highly polished product
- Ability to communicate openly and effectively with both in-house staff and remote workers, via email, phone, chat and video conferences
Please submit résumé, cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ADVERTISING ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE
The Chronicle of the Horse is in search of an exceptional team member to assist with revenue growth. This role requires a highly personable, intelligent individual. Strong strategic planning skills and proactive problem solving are necessary to successfully partner with existing and new potential clients and maximize revenue potential across all properties owned and operated by The Chronicle of the Horse.
The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of experience and be knowledgeable in print and digital media.
You are expected to be highly knowledgeable of the sport-horse market, industry trends, competitors, and leading customer strategies. We have an incredible team and are looking for hard workers comfortable working in a deadline-oriented environment while being part of a rewarding team environment.
- Minimum 3 years experience in print, and digital media advertising sales
- Excellent verbal, phone and written communication skills
- Proven track record of professional success
- Strong analytical skills for prospecting and developing new business
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Must be familiar with social media marketing strategies
- Marketing experience within the equine industry preferred
- Experience with sponsorships a plus
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to: email@example.com.
The Chronicle of the Horse offers an editorial internship for people interested in horses and journalism.
Our internship gives interns a real feel for publishing. The job description varies little from the actual duties of the editorial staff. We work with the intern, offering personal attention and a level of responsibility fitted to the individual. Successful candidates arrive at the Chronicle ready to hit the ground running thanks to strong writing skills, familiarity with our products and in-depth sport horse knowledge. We are proud of our program. The Chronicle offers a chance to grow.
- Writing news, features and other content for The Chronicle of the Horse magazine, www.chronofhorse.com and Untacked.
- Managing and publishing photo galleries online
- Special web projects
- Interviewing experts for profiles or features
Normal hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 5, with some flexibility possible. Interns will work in our Middleburg, Va., office; telecommuting is not possible. Some weekends are spent on assignment. Rolling internships available.
- Strong writing background
- Knowledge of English horse sports. A competitive background is strongly suggested.
- Interest in a journalism or new media career
- Talent for photography helpful
- Knowledge of AP Style and multimedia skills helpful
- Familiarity with CMS helpful
Compensation is $7.25/hour or academic credit. Housing is the responsibility of the intern; we will assist in your search. A car is necessary.
Most of the editorial staff at the Chronicle started their careers as interns. The internship is a great fit for college graduates as well as top college students. Graduates of our internship program now work at news outlets like Eventing, In Stride, The Horse, Condé Naste Traveler, Horse-Journal and CBC. Other former interns are now working in fields of equine photography and public relations, and others work as freelance writers.
In the past interns have written cover stories for The Chronicle of the Horse magazine, produced behind-the-scenes videos at events, blogged for chronofhorse.com and pitched ideas for projects to the editorial staff that we helped them carry out.
We are currently accepting applications for interns to begin Sept. 1. We are no longer accepting applicaitons for our summer session.
Emailed applications are preferred. Please send résumé, including cover letter, equestrian background, writing sample and availability to:
Mollie Bailey, Editorial Staff
The Chronicle of the Horse
P.O. Box 46
Middleburg, VA 20118