Careers & Internships
ADVERTISING ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE
The Chronicle of the Horse is in search of an exceptional team member to assist with revenue growth. This role requires a highly personable, intelligent individual. Strong strategic planning skills and proactive problem solving are necessary to successfully partner with existing and new potential clients and maximize revenue potential across all properties owned and operated by The Chronicle of the Horse.
The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of experience and be knowledgeable in print and digital media.
You are expected to be highly knowledgeable of the sport-horse market, industry trends, competitors, and leading customer strategies. We have an incredible team and are looking for hard workers comfortable working in a deadline-oriented environment while being part of a rewarding team environment.
- Minimum 3 years experience in print, and digital media advertising sales
- Excellent verbal, phone and written communication skills
- Proven track record of professional success
- Strong analytical skills for prospecting and developing new business
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Must be familiar with social media marketing strategies
- Marketing experience within the equine industry preferred
- Experience with sponsorships a plus
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to: email@example.com.
The Chronicle of the Horse offers an editorial internship for people interested in horses and journalism.
Our internship gives interns a real feel for publishing. The job description varies little from the actual duties of the editorial staff. We work with the intern, offering personal attention and a level of responsibility fitted to the individual. Successful candidates arrive at the Chronicle ready to hit the ground running thanks to strong writing skills, familiarity with our products and in-depth sport horse knowledge. We are proud of our program. The Chronicle offers a chance to grow.
- Writing news, features and other content for The Chronicle of the Horse magazine, www.chronofhorse.com and Untacked.
- Managing and publishing photo galleries online
- Special web projects
- Interviewing experts for profiles or features
Normal hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 5, with some flexibility possible. Interns will work in our Middleburg, Va., office; telecommuting is not possible. Some weekends are spent on assignment. Rolling internships available.
- Strong writing background
- Knowledge of English horse sports. A competitive background is strongly suggested.
- Interest in a journalism or new media career
- Talent for photography helpful
- Knowledge of AP Style and multimedia skills helpful
- Familiarity with CMS helpful
Compensation is $7.25/hour or academic credit. Housing is the responsibility of the intern; we will assist in your search. A car is necessary.
Most of the editorial staff at the Chronicle started their careers as interns. The internship is a great fit for college graduates as well as top college students. Graduates of our internship program now work at news outlets like Eventing, In Stride, The Horse, Condé Naste Traveler, Horse-Journal and CBC. Other former interns are now working in fields of equine photography and public relations, and others work as freelance writers.
In the past interns have written cover stories for The Chronicle of the Horse magazine, produced behind-the-scenes videos at events, blogged for chronofhorse.com and pitched ideas for projects to the editorial staff that we helped them carry out.
We are currently accepting applications for interns to begin January 1.
Emailed applications are preferred. Please send résumé, including cover letter, equestrian background, writing sample and availability to:
Mollie Bailey, Editorial Staff
The Chronicle of the Horse
P.O. Box 46
Middleburg, VA 20118